4th year question

Started by MrBurns10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I talked about this with my advisor but wanted to get your opinions as well, as he wasn't really sure what I should do. I'm trying to plan out my 4th year. I've already done a neuroradiology rotation during my clinical year and am currently doing a year of rads research. I plan on doing an away rotation in the fall but was wondering if I should do another rads rotation at my home program first. I would love to get some face-time with my home PD, but my advisor wonders if it could potentially hurt me more than help me. I'm also worried about coming off as too rad-centric. But I haven't done a clinical radiology rotation in over a year, so I'm concerned that NOT doing another home elective first would hurt me at my away.

Sorry if that was confusing. What do you guys think? Thanks for your thoughts.
 
Hey guys, I talked about this with my advisor but wanted to get your opinions as well, as he wasn't really sure what I should do. I'm trying to plan out my 4th year. I've already done a neuroradiology rotation during my clinical year and am currently doing a year of rads research. I plan on doing an away rotation in the fall but was wondering if I should do another rads rotation at my home program first. I would love to get some face-time with my home PD, but my advisor wonders if it could potentially hurt me more than help me. I'm also worried about coming off as too rad-centric. But I haven't done a clinical radiology rotation in over a year, so I'm concerned that NOT doing another home elective first would hurt me at my away.

Sorry if that was confusing. What do you guys think? Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent you a PM. 😎
 
I decided to do my DR rotation at my home school, mostly b/c it's more convenient & more likely that I will get an A. Why go to another school and risk not getting an A (which would really put the hurt on your app), better to play it safe. I am doing aways in rads sub-specialties though, although I heard for Rads, doing aways is not as impt as in other specialties.
 
You should do a home general rads rotation.

The only away that is useful is IR. Otherwise, it is a waste of time. Once you do a non-IR rotation, you'll see what I mean.

Don't pile on the rads rotations either. As a med student, rads rotations are useless. At most, 3 rads rotation. They would rather see other clinical rotations like medicine or surgery sub-i's on your application.