4th year readings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firebird

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in my 4th yr and am planning on going into the IM program at my school next year. I'm looking for some advice on reading materials for this year. I'm looking for a good text on general medicine as well as cardiology. I don't want something advanced enough for a sr. resident or fellow, but I don't want a medical student text either. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm in my 4th yr and am planning on going into the IM program at my school next year. I'm looking for some advice on reading materials for this year. I'm looking for a good text on general medicine as well as cardiology. I don't want something advanced enough for a sr. resident or fellow, but I don't want a medical student text either. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

My wife is in your same boat. I told her yesterday to read about vents and ECG's. There are certain things you can learn through the trial by fire process of intern year, but there are others that are easier learned before the fact. If you want cardiology treatment information there are a ton of good guideline documents on the ACC.org website. The ECG book that I am having my wife read is called "The 12 Lead ECG Book." Also, I recommend the ICU book by Marino. As a fourth year I read articles from the American Family Physician website/journal - they are well written and cover what you need to know about treatment for a topic. I read most of the CDMT 2004, but it didn't help much for my residency. Hope this helps.

Refer to the Journal topics forum above and read the cardio articles for some good stuff. Hurst's heart is also good as well as the gold standard Harrison's.

There are few if any books which are between the level of review book or primary text. As mentioned above, the ICU book is good, but is obviously narrow in it's aim.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about "must-know" studies that attendings and upper levels often quote during rounds. Can someone post a list? I can think of CHADS2, All-Hat.....

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I'll definitely look into these when Step 2 is over.