Can I read sleep studies if I don't do a sleep fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILikeMilk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year of PCCM fellowship currently, going into private practice next year.

Just wondering, what limitations do I have on practicing sleep and reading sleep studies if I don't do a sleep fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

You will not get hired to read sleep studies nowadays without completing a sleep fellowship and being BE/BC. There may be exceptions for older docs who have been around since before there were sleep fellowships, but even then most places would expect you to have taken the exam to be grandfathered in through the "practice pathway" when it was previously offered (last was in 2011 I think).

You can certainly include sleep medicine in your practice after a PCCM fellowship if you are comfortable doing, it's cool with your employer, and your patients don't care that you're not BE/BC.

While certain insurances companies will only board certified physicians to do a specific procedure (ie bill a specific cpt code ), straight Medicare and most of the managed cares will allow any physician (regardless of specialty and board status ) to use various billing codes . Hence if you have the ability to read PSG (honestly how hard is it for OSA ) , write a report and bill the code , then you can probably get paid for it . If you enter pure private practice and you see the boss (or your family or friends are the boss and give you leeway), then your plan seems sound enough . Just note not all insurances will allow payment if not board certified in sleep. But this varies and you willl have to check out each insurance .

Now if the PP partner is sleep certified , then go ahead and write the report and bill under that doctors name if the other doctor permits .

The only issue at hand with doing something non BC is if a lawsuit comes around . The lawyers will have plenty of ammunition . Moreover , your malpractice premiums will not cover that if not BC . Just a thought .