4th year rotations + match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyBoop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just started as a 3rd year medical student and I am a bit confused about how the 4th year rotations work. For example, whenever I figure out what the hell I want to do with my life I would like to go visit a place that offers this residency and try to not make a fool of myself. However, I heard that you only do this 4th year---how do I do this 4th year when in the beginning of 4th year I'm supposed to be applying to the residencies? Furthermore, what if I go visit and I don't like it!?!

aaahhh!!!!!:confused:

Thanks so much guys! Now that the step is over I have to concentrate my anxieties elsewhere. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I just started as a 3rd year medical student and I am a bit confused about how the 4th year rotations work. For example, whenever I figure out what the hell I want to do with my life I would like to go visit a place that offers this residency and try to not make a fool of myself. However, I heard that you only do this 4th year---how do I do this 4th year when in the beginning of 4th year I'm supposed to be applying to the residencies? Furthermore, what if I go visit and I don't like it!?!

aaahhh!!!!!:confused:

Thanks so much guys! Now that the step is over I have to concentrate my anxieties elsewhere. :D

Welcome to the medical education fiasco. Worse, what if you don't like any of the cores, and realize that what you want to do is GI... how would you know? Ah, its like the mandatory experience model for applying medical students has SOME legitamacy after all.

4th year rotations, especially aways, come in two forms. They are either vacations or they are auditions. If you know what you want, and you want to go to that place, then you are going on an audition. Literally every minute of every day is an interview and should be treated as such. They evaluate your character, your presonality, your medical knowledge, etc. VERY important for competitive spots and reisdencies. On the other hand, vacations are far more common. I want to be near my family for once in medical school. Vacation Rotation. I want to "try out" hepatology (i.e. I heard it was easy and it was a good place to get a letter without a lot of work). Vacation Rotation.

AND SO, you have to know what you want to do and where you want to do it before VRAS opens. You should have a pretty good idea sometime by February. Narrow it down, and voila. This is why it is often recommended to do the rotations you think you want out of life towards the beginning of 3rd year (so you have had the experience and don't look like a ***** or suddenly realize its not for you during auditions / vacations).

Good luck!