5 Courses Per Semester Needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entering my 4th year for an Honor's Bachelor of Science with a major and 2 minors, and I only need to do 4 courses per semester to graduate.

Do medical schools (in USA and Canada) require or prefer a person with 5 courses per semester?

Furthermore, would they mind if I do a Pass/Fail course that happens to be in Humanities or Social Sciences (one university told me they don't want to see it in sciences for the sGPA)?

Lastly, would it matter if I did 3 3rd/4th year courses and 2 second year or first year courses per semester? Is it okay to just have 3 3rd year courses?

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm entering my 4th year for an Honor's Bachelor of Science with a major and 2 minors, and I only need to do 4 courses per semester to graduate.

Do medical schools (in USA and Canada) require or prefer a person with 5 courses per semester?

Furthermore, would they mind if I do a Pass/Fail course that happens to be in Humanities or Social Sciences (one university told me they don't want to see it in sciences for the sGPA)?

Lastly, would it matter if I did 3 3rd/4th year courses and 2 second year or first year courses per semester? Is it okay to just have 3 3rd year courses?

Thank you so much.

I don't know, but I was forced to do 5 or 6 science and/or engineering courses simultaneously due to me changing to premed late, and it sucked big time. However, it's doable; I'm sure if you demonstrate you can do it then you look like you can handle a high course load, and med schools probs like that.

It doesn't matter you're overthinking things

Members don't see this ad :)
No, especially if you're taking all science classes with labs and/or working.

For Canadian it varies. If you already have 2 school years with 5 courses each semester, you are set for Western Medical school. University of Toronto requires you to take 5 courses if you want your lowest marks removed. McMaster and Queens aren't as anal about it. They just want you have the required number of credits needed to apply. Ottawa needs at least 4 courses per semester I believe.

I think McGill requires that you take 5 courses per semester through your time in University. However, since you have an exception, maybe you should contact them (only need 4 to graduate).

From what I have read on SDN, it doesn't seem like US medical school in general, are stringent on whether or not you have taken 5 courses. I am sure 4 would work for them.

5 is fine but not a requirement. The important thing is doing well in all the pre-reqs

In organic chemistry I, which I took in my 2nd year, I scored a low mark (66%). Class average was the same as my mark. University kept the class average low. But this was during my second year, which had a 3.0 GPA. My 3rd year was a 3.75 GPA, so I have an upward trend, and my second year marks (all of the courses in it) were obviously affected by my lack of adapting to university among other things, which I showed in 3rd year that I overcame. If I do well in MCAT, do I need to retake that course since I got very high marks later? Can it be treated as an old mistake that has been fixed?

Take as much as you can handle while still performing well. (3.0 minimum)

Just make sure you stay full-time unless you have really extenuating circumstances.