• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

V4viet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Molarity
Molality
Mole Fraction
Mass %
PPM

However, i understand all of this concepts but when it come down to doing the probs for the MCAT..i get confused and can't solve them..how do you guys start solving for these kinds of probs on the mcat.. or what additional review can i do beside EK that'll help my understanding and solving for these kinds of prob on the mcat..thanks for all of your help

HippocratesX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2002
Status (Visible)
which part confuses u? Molarity and molality are only for liquids. Molarity (moles/Liter); Molality (moles/Kg of solvent). So basically the only difference is you are weighing out the liquid, versus using volume. mass % and mole fraction are usually reserved for solids, but can be used for anything that either has a balanced equation or a molecular formula.

there are lots of different units used, like ppm (parts per million), or millimolar, or Normality, but i dont think u have to worry too much about those. Just memorize molarity, molality, and the others are pretty much self explanatory (mass % is the percentage of mass an element has in a compound, so (grams of element/total grams of everything) times 100 = mass percent)

and mole fraction is the same idea. moles of element/total moles x 100 = mole fraction

V4viet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
hey thanks for reply..i just have problem with doing the probs presented..not the concepts themselves..so i was wondering if there are any practice probs or books that i can look over to have a better grasp of it..

sehnsucht

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
hey thanks for reply..i just have problem with doing the probs presented..not the concepts themselves..so i was wondering if there are any practice probs or books that i can look over to have a better grasp of it..

there are a lot of good problems on the Examkrackers Chem books and the formulas are well laid out. they do need a bit of getting used to to really nail down so just keep on doing problems to gain more comfort with the conepts in problem format. good luck!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.