5 year undergrad with a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sgeramy

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a Canadian Student who just finished his 4th year, I am taking a 5th year to finish required courses and to do an undergraduate thesis. i should graduate with a 3.3-3.4 GPA, I have not taken the MCAT yet, however i want to take a gap year to study for it in conjunction to getting more clinical experience.

I am open to taking any path to Medical school, I am considering MDs, DO, SMPs...
Would taking this extra year after i graduate effect my application?

(also should i postpone my graduation to a 6th year to retake courses?)

P.S. the absolute last resort is to study in Europe (Caribbean is not an option)
 
I can't really help from the Canadian/International perspective. I took 6 years to finish undergrad, and 2 gap years. The amount of time it takes is not a negative thing, so long as you're taking the time to gain meaningful experiences. During my gap years, I worked as a high school chemistry teacher in a very underserved area. I probably learned more about being a physician from that experience than anything I did during undergrad.

Hope that helps!