5 year undergrad with a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sgeramy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian Student who just finished his 4th year, I am taking a 5th year to finish required courses and to do an undergraduate thesis. i should graduate with a 3.3-3.4 GPA, I have not taken the MCAT yet, however i want to take a gap year to study for it in conjunction to getting more clinical experience.

I am open to taking any path to Medical school, I am considering MDs, DO, SMPs...
Would taking this extra year after i graduate effect my application?

(also should i postpone my graduation to a 6th year to retake courses?)

P.S. the absolute last resort is to study in Europe (Caribbean is not an option)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really help from the Canadian/International perspective. I took 6 years to finish undergrad, and 2 gap years. The amount of time it takes is not a negative thing, so long as you're taking the time to gain meaningful experiences. During my gap years, I worked as a high school chemistry teacher in a very underserved area. I probably learned more about being a physician from that experience than anything I did during undergrad.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user