500 MCAT, 3.55 sGPA, 'Unusual' Circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoFloStudent

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll start by saying that after using this forum as a resource for awhile, I know most people won't bat an eye before telling me its a waste of time to apply MD. However, I am aware my chances are slim, but I believe several factors may slightly increase my chances. I wanted to lay everything out, with the hope that someone might have time to read in its entirety and offer insight into plausible options when it comes to MD schools worth a shot at applying to

-FL resident, transferred to an Honors College for majority of undergrad and all coursework was honors
- Strong upward trend, my GPA for SOLELY my last 4 semesters of UG was a 3.77 sGPA and 3.69 cGPA (yes, my science GPA is actually better than cumulative)
-250+ hours of research at a very well known national institution, over course of 2 years; completed honors thesis
-300+ hours of shadowing, primarily with a general surgeon, but also with a spinal surgeon and mohs surgeon
-300+ hours of clinical/medical volunteering, at a pediatric cancer hospital, Medical Missions Trip, etc
-200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering, local charities and Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
- Leadership: probably the weakest part of my EC's, I spent one year as the Vice President of my school's Pre- Medical Society and one year as the Officer of Philanthropy / Volunteer Opportunities.
-Nonclinical employment: a few thousand hours of work at the same job (commercial fishing) 2012- present
- Also started my own freelance photography company with a strong social media presence and local small business success for weddings, engagement shoots, business headshots, etc.

Now for the 'unusual part'..
I applied as a disadvantaged applicant. To be blunt, my mother was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer when I was in 1st grade. My Dad had a decent job but her treatment and the necessary living adjustments left us financially desolate. I took a job at 16 working in the commercial fishing industry to help keep the lights on when waking up with no electricity or running water every month wasn't cutting it. Generally this required working in the middle of the ocean from sunset to sunrise. Fast forward to my senior year of high school, my mom passed away a couple days before I graduated, and my grades suffered my first year of college accordingly. A couple years later while I was in undergrad, my Dad was incarcerated and is still serving out his sentence for the next few years. I took on an extra job to pay for his legal fees and utility bills to keep the house together. Not to make excuses, but I can't help but feel like my MCAT suffered in part from that. I share these things not for sympathy, but because I recognize that ADCOMS place emphasis and consideration on overcoming these sorts of hurdles. Plus, the anonymity of the internet can be a beautiful thing when transparency is the best way to receive solid advice.

I've just come to a point where, after a gap year, I finally feel at peace with the balance I've tried to restore in my life. The adversities I faced have felt like anchors holding me back from taking the next step in my education. Honestly, I am so desperate to begin a career in medicine and the thought of waiting another cycle makes me sick to my stomach. I have considered the DO route but I have a big desire to specialize in several different areas of medicine and primary care isn't nearly as attractive to me. I have always been passionate about research and my understanding is that MD schools allow for more expansion on both this and specialty residencies.

Thank you to anyone that took the time to read this and for anyone that can provide any suggestions, I sincerely appreciate it. I tried to keep the details as abbreviated as possible so I hope it doesn't read too awkwardly.

EDIT: MCAT breakdown was 125/127/123/125 ... ironic because B/B was typically my best section in FL's

Members don't see this ad.

You've certainly faced your share of difficulties and suffered disproportionately... But you've persevered and succeeded in spite of everything life's thrown at you, and that will work in your favor. America loves an underdog.

I think your GPA is going to be OK since you've shown a strong upward trend but I am a bit concerned about your MCAT. 500 is generally considered the 'floor' when it comes to succeeding as a medical student. While I think you can make a good case for why your MCAT might be artificially depressed, your odds of admission would probably be increased significantly if you could wrangle a 506 or so...

Do you think that's a possibility?

You've certainly faced your share of difficulties and suffered disproportionately... But you've persevered and succeeded in spite of everything life's thrown at you, and that will work in your favor. America loves an underdog.

I think your GPA is going to be OK since you've shown a strong upward trend but I am a bit concerned about your MCAT. 500 is generally considered the 'floor' when it comes to succeeding as a medical student. While I think you can make a good case for why your MCAT might be artificially depressed, your odds of admission would probably be increased significantly if you could wrangle a 506 or so...

Do you think that's a possibility?

First off- thank you so much for your reply. I do believe that I could obtain a 506, as I was averaging a 508-510 on my AAMC FL's in the weeks leading up to the exam. My main concern is time. I hoped to apply somewhat early in this 2018-19 cycle to give myself a better shot, but that was also before I got my disappointing score back. I fear that if I retook during this cycle, I will be a late stage applicant with lesser chances of acceptance. Granted, there is always next cycle, but for personal reasons (some of which I listed), I was hoping to apply this cycle and sort of "start a new chapter" sooner than later, so to speak.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... Do you have a sense of what went wrong in your 'for real' test? And how lifelike were your practice exam conditions? Taken piecemeal? Or in 'no stopping / gotta pee!' test conditions?

Guess what I'm asking is how much prep time would you need for a retake? You certainly don't want to shortchange either your application writing or your MCAT prep. (If you were to investigate signing up for another MCAT tonight, what's the first test date that's even available for you? It may not even be a realistic option.)

You're probably good for DO already, but as you say you want to specialize, that's not going to be your first choice. If it comes down to "next cycle MD or DO this cycle" which would you choose?

Hmmm... Do you have a sense of what went wrong in your 'for real' test? And how lifelike were your practice exam conditions? Taken piecemeal? Or in 'no stopping / gotta pee!' test conditions?

Guess what I'm asking is how much prep time would you need for a retake? You certainly don't want to shortchange either your application writing or your MCAT prep. (If you were to investigate signing up for another MCAT tonight, what's the first test date that's even available for you? It may not even be a realistic option.)

You're probably good for DO already, but as you say you want to specialize, that's not going to be your first choice. If it comes down to "next cycle MD or DO this cycle" which would you choose?

I believe that my biggest issue is time management, I had to guess on several questions at the end of the C/P and B/B sections, and on the B/B section i left the last few blank because I could not even click fast enough to guess. I want to believe that if I had allotted more time, I could have gained another point from each of these sections on this last go at it. Additionally, I had a traumatic event happen the day before my test; and voiding was not an option, as I had already voided an exam earlier this year for the same reason. If these events hadn't smoothed over by now, I would feel like I wasn't even ready for med school- but since they have, I am desperately hoping for some success this application cycle. I turn 25 in a couple of days, and I'm not getting any younger.

I'll have to check on what the first available option is, but you are definitely right.

Your final question is the very thing I am wrestling with right now. With the residency/ matching merger, I am curious as to how that would affect my chances down the road if I was able to stand out as a DO student seeking a residency in general surgery, for example. It is something I will have to address when the time comes, I suppose. My hope is that perhaps I get lucky and an ADCOM identifies with my story and atleast gives me a chance for an interview. I strongly believe that speaking and "selling myself" in an honest and morally-sound way are my strong suits, but I know this leaves alot to chance.

Once again, thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

You've been able to handle all the things life has thrown at you - you can handle the MCAT.

Retake and kick ass!

As a Florida resident you have a great shot with a slightly higher MCAT (obviously aim for the highest score you can get).

My advise would be to not apply this cycle and spend as much time as possible studying.

On another note, you probably have a decent chance for DO if you decide you don't want to study and retake the exam, and take the additional year.

@Goro and @Faha could give you additional advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all FL schools, and any DO school.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

For any other MD schools, ordinarily, I'd suggest that you retake the MCAT. But you have a very compelling story, so you might have some luck with:
U WV
Gtown
SLU
Drexel
Albany
Creighton
Netter
Tulane
Wayne State
Rush
Loyola

Reactions: 2 users
You've been able to handle all the things life has thrown at you - you can handle the MCAT.

Retake and kick ass!

As a Florida resident you have a great shot with a slightly higher MCAT (obviously aim for the highest score you can get).

My advise would be to not apply this cycle and spend as much time as possible studying.

On another note, you probably have a decent chance for DO if you decide you don't want to study and retake the exam, and take the additional year.

@Goro and @Faha could give you additional advice.

Thank you so much for your input! I would love to postpone until next cycle, but i have already taken a gap year to work to cover my own expenses while taking care of as much of my Dads legal fees as possible. The thought of starting school a little over 2 years from now makes me sick to my stomach, but i realize with my current stats that might be my only chance. Something inside of me says to put myself out there this cycle and to use my application to tell my story in the best most concise way possible. I will definitely apply broadly to DO schools, but my end goal has always been to specialize when that time comes and i know i will be better suited to do that through an MD program

Apply to all FL schools, and any DO school.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

For any other MD schools, ordinarily, I'd suggest that you retake the MCAT. But you have a very compelling story, so you might have some luck with:
U WV
Gtown
SLU
Drexel
Albany
Creighton
Netter
Tulane
Wayne State
Rush
Loyola

Hey, thank you foremost for your input, I know your advice is very sought after on this forum. Some of those schools are ones I had yet to consider and I’ll absolutely look into their programs in greater depth. I appreciate the list and thoughtful advice! I hope I have some good news to share with you all in the future

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro , do you think it would be worth it to register for another MCAT (that I would sit for in mid-august) and have that appear on my application? If I thought I could raise my score to a 508 in that time, for example. On my AAMC FL's I was averaging 508-512, the higher scores being untimed and the lower (508-510) being timed. I believe a large part of my issue is time management, so if I could get that covered for an August MCAT I am wondering if it would be beneficial or worthwhile, or if I shouldn't waste my time.

As it stands, my applications will be ready to send out by the first of July.