515 on Altius Half-Length without any prep...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just took the Altius Half-Length as a diagnostic before I start content review, and I got a 515 (127/130/128/130). I was fully expecting a <500, and am planning to take my MCAT next May (after 4 months of intense review.) My goal score is a 518.

My question is: is the Altius Half-Length at all representative of AAMC material, or is it heavily inflated?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on who you ask. Altius has some passages and sections that are *similar* to the AAMC while others are less so. A 515 is a solid starting point. It could indicate that you are in a strong position content wise or that the test emphasized things that you are stronger with. I usually advocate using 3rd party exams to gauge progress with content and the implementation of strategies while viewing the AAMC exams as a tool to gauge your anticipated performance on the actual exam. You should feel good about where you are but I would not rest on your laurels do to speak. A 518 is in the 98th percentile after all.

So, I just took the Altius Half-Length as a diagnostic before I start content review, and I got a 515 (127/130/128/130). I was fully expecting a <500, and am planning to take my MCAT next May (after 4 months of intense review.) My goal score is a 518.

My question is: is the Altius Half-Length at all representative of AAMC material, or is it heavily inflated?
Rule #1: Nothing is representative of AAMC except for AAMC material themselves.
Have never touched Alt. but a 515 diagnostic is unheard of. Can't comment on their difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's very high for a diagnostic. I did all 10 Altius exams and was scoring around 510 on my first ones, then worked my way up to 515 by the last one. After I switched to the AAMC exams I averaged around 521, and got a 526 on the real thing. So if you're starting at 515, you'll be in great shape in 4 months' time if you study right.
I'd say Altius is deflated more than anything. The passages were on average harder than my real MCAT (more section bank-level passages). Can't comment on the diagnostic specifically, since the stamina component isn't at work on the diagnostic, being half as short. But I image the difficulty is similar to the other Altius FLs.

I don't think the Altius sections I did were bad, but they were not that similar to AAMC. A 515 is very good to start, but keep things in check until you take a AAMC exam.

That's very high for a diagnostic. I did all 10 Altius exams and was scoring around 510 on my first ones, then worked my way up to 515 by the last one. After I switched to the AAMC exams I averaged around 521, and got a 526 on the real thing. So if you're starting at 515, you'll be in great shape in 4 months' time if you study right.
I'd say Altius is deflated more than anything. The passages were on average harder than my real MCAT (more section bank-level passages). Can't comment on the diagnostic specifically, since the stamina component isn't at work on the diagnostic, being half as short. But I image the difficulty is similar to the other Altius FLs.

Over what period of time did you take the Altius FLs? Did you also practice on the Altius question banks?

Which third party did you use for CARS practice?

Over what period of time did you take the Altius FLs? Did you also practice on the Altius question banks?

Which third party did you use for CARS practice?
I would take 1 per week, so 10 weeks. I didn't use the question banks (tbh I didn't even know they had question banks).

For 3rd party CARS practice I mainly used TPR hyperlearning workbook (you can find the pdf online somewhere), some EK passages that come with the set (also pdf), and Khan Academy. But KA was my least favorite of the bunch - felt their logic was wonky in a way the AAMC stuff wasn't, which is odd since they're sponsored by them. Still worth doing though, especially if you're not used to reading those kind of texts. I was a philosophy major in undergrad, so I was already used to lots of difficult reading.

Reactions: 1 users
I've done all the Altius tests as well as the AAMC materials. I actually did notice an abnormal inflation of score on the Altius HLE compared to the FLEs. Could be content lining up with my personal strengths and could be a stamina thing too. I would suggest taking a full length test as a diagnostic. But if you REALLY want to know how you would score, the AAMC tests are gold standard. (I'd save those for the final month or so though). Altius and other 3rd party exams are good to gauge progress and such, but some tests miss the mark as far as scoring goes.

Altius FL have a pretty weird amount of variation (maybe I am just salty dropping from 131->128 and 129->126 in two tests), especially in CARS and PS. This will be exaggerated in any half length. You are likely to be in a very good shape, but you can't just not study either.