525 MCAT, 3.70 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CleverAntelope

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are: 3.70 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA, 525 MCAT (131,132,130,132)

I attended a top 5 Liberal Arts college where I majored in mathematics.

I am a non-traditional applicant (26 years old) who just completed a post-bac program at an Ivy League institution, where I took 12 courses and fulfilled almost all of my med school requirements. (The only science courses I had already taken were in physics.)

My undergraduate GPA trend was 3.92, 3.58, 3.5, 3.43.

My lower grades during my junior and senior year were partly because I was distracted by a serious illness in my family which I discussed in my primary app essay. (But I did not frame it as an excuse for those mediocre grades.)

My Post Bac GPA was 4.00

Clinical Experience:

110 hours as a volunteer ED clinical research assistant screening, consenting and enrolling patients

Research Experience:

450 hours as a laboratory assistant on a high energy particle physics research project.

450 hours designing and programming an algorithm to analyze Gamma Ray Burst photon lags in an attempt to discover new upper bounds on Lorentz violations. Unfortunately, no posters or publications from this work.

Shadowing Experience:

~70 hours of shadowing including critical care, oncology, pathology, hospitalist and primary care internal medicine

Non Clinical Volunteering:

I spent 9 months living in a poor neighborhood in a foreign country and volunteering as an English teacher and tutor. (~1400 hours)

Briefly volunteered at an LGBTQ advocacy organization in same country (~ 60 hours)

Other Extracurricular Activities:

I spent a year teaching and tutoring in under-resourced school through the Americorps program City Year. (~ 1800 hours)

I spent my first year after college working as an IT consultant/programmer.

Relevant Honors or Awards:

Nothing since high school sadly ;-).

Other Information:

I have a long term (6 years) partner who works in writing/journalism, so I am doing my best to get admitted to a medical school in a major city if possible.

I am hoping to do some scribing & some clinical research during my gap year (2017-2018).

Applications:

I have been writing the secondary applications for the following schools, but haven’t submitted any yet because my primary has not been verified.

I welcome all suggestions! I am worried that my list is too top heavy, but in trying to be attentive to places that would have good educational/career opportunities for my partner, I have found that many “second tier” schools are not in ideal locations.

I am planning to apply to:

Penn
UCSF
Duke
Columbia
WashU
Yale
Michigan
Pritzker
Pittsburgh
Feinberg
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Emory
UNC
UVA
Wisconsin
Brown
BU
Tulane
Georgetown
Tufts
Miami
Jefferson
Temple
George Washington
Saint Louis
Drexel
Hofstra

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Faha Thank you so much for taking the time to advise me on my list!

After looking more into Einstein, it seems like it could be a really good fit-- I'm not sure why I didn't have it on my list before.

I wasn't planning on NYU because my cGPA/ sGPA are around its 10th %tile, so it's helpful to hear that its still worth sending an application.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are: 3.70 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA, 525 MCAT (131,132,130,132)

I attended a top 5 Liberal Arts college where I majored in mathematics.
I am planning to apply to:

Penn
UCSF
Duke
Columbia
WashU
Yale
Michigan
Pritzker
Pittsburgh
Feinberg
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Emory
UNC
UVA
Wisconsin
Brown
BU
Tulane
Georgetown
Tufts
Miami
Jefferson
Temple
George Washington
Saint Louis
Drexel
Hofstra

Fine list; delete UNC if you're not a Tarheel. Replace with Vandy and/or Mayo AND Einstein. NYU is a stats *****...they won't sneer at the GPAs.

@Goro That is very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to advise me!

A big reason that my list was decent in the first place was because I was able to find lists that you had made for applicants with similar stats.

Reactions: 1 users