525 MCAT/ 3.9+ GPA and average EC's, school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilesDavisTheDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go with

Harvard
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Stanford
UPenn
UCLA
WashU
Columbia
Yale
Mount Sinai
UChicago
Vanderdbilt
UMiami
Northwestern
Emory
Case Western
U of Virginia
Cornell
Rochester
Einstein
StonyBrook
Suny Buffalo
Hofstra
Suny Downstate

SUNY Upstate
BU
Case
Emory
Dartmouth
Jfferson
U Cincy
OH State
U VM

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for help with the list @Goro . I was wondering if I could a quick though from you on my app generally. Are there any big weaknesses and do you think I actually have a shot at the top schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for help with the list @Goro . I was wondering if I could a quick though from you on my app generally. Are there any big weaknesses and do you think I actually have a shot at the top schools?
Lovely ECs. Getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself can never, ever hurt. No more shadowing though.

Lovely ECs. Getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself can never, ever hurt. No more shadowing though.
Agreed. His stats are Harvard material for sure, and the Ivy League school makes him even more impressive. 3.95 from Harvard > 3.95 from State U. Volunteering is good though more couldn't hurt. Quite competitive for top 20s.

Thanks so much for the reply @Walter Raleigh ! I am pretty confident about my stats but not so much about my EC's. I'm also worried that because my stats are so high most lower tiered schools won't even really look at my app, even my state schools. Do you think this is a legitimate worry?

Particularly interested in the answer to your final question, but for different reasons.

Thanks so much for the reply @Walter Raleigh ! I am pretty confident about my stats but not so much about my EC's. I'm also worried that because my stats are so high most lower tiered schools won't even really look at my app, even my state schools. Do you think this is a legitimate worry?

I can't speak to that - I'd think your state schools would love to have you. As for ECs: you've got 500 hours of clinical volunteering, 300 hours of nonclinical volunteering, and you'll have close to 2,000 hours of research plus publications. Those are good ECs! Don't worry. You're Top 20 material for sure! Apply to top 20s, your state schools, and any other schools that might interest you.

You are Golden.png

Aim high.

You can literally apply to and realistically get into any Medical School under the sun in America

One other thing I wanted to ask a about - I was talking to the the PI's of the lab I worked in today and I may have over estimated the number of hours I put for the computational neuroscience lab and the brain tumor center (was probably more like 40-50) and am thinking of removing them from my app. Do you think this significantly weakens my app if everything else is the same?

You're good dude. There are people out here w/ sub 3.5 GPAs who are worrying lmfao you shouldn't be. Your stats are top tier.

One other thing I wanted to ask a about - I was talking to the the PI's of the lab I worked in today and I may have over estimated the number of hours I put for the computational neuroscience lab and the brain tumor center (was probably more like 40-50) and am thinking of removing them from my app. Do you think this significantly weakens my app if everything else is the same?
No, it doesn't; 400 hours of research vs. 500 means nothing. You have a publication, which means you've been somewhat productive or lucky - and that can only add to your app. Leave those things on your app, and good luck. Goro's busted out his rockstar list, so aim high.

Hey guys,

Im about a week from submitting my primary and I just wanted to get a final seal of approval on my school list. Do you guys think this looks good?

1)Harvard
2)Stanford
3)John’s Hopkins
4)Washington University in St.Louis
5)Yale
6)Columbia
7)Duke
8)University of Chicago
9)University of Pennsylvania
10)NYU
11)Vanderbilt
12)Cornell
13)Northwestern
14)Mount Sinai
15)Baylor
16)University of Pittsburg
17)Case Western
18)Boston University
19)Dartmouth
20)Emory
21)Rochester
22)Albert Einstein
23)Penn State-OOS but has a 3 year program I’m interested in
24)Hofstra
25)University of Cincinnati-OOS friendly
26)University of Ohio-OOS friendly
27)University of Virginia-OOS friendly
28)SUNY Stonybrook
29)SUNY Buffalo
30)SUNY Upstate
31)SUNY Downstate
32)UCLA-OOS but am very interested due to merit scholarship
33)UCSF-OOS but am very interested because of some of the research that is done there
34)Mayo
35)University of Michigan
36)Kaiser

Let me know if you think I'm missing anything I should include or if you think I should take something out. Thank you guys so much!!!

@LabileEmotions Thanks for the reply! This is exactly what I was worried about lol. Do you think my school list is the best I can make it though? I would assume you would probably want to remove a lot of the mid-tiers.