54% on Qbank Step1. What should I expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexagram13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been getting about 53-54% on Qbank every time I take a block. I have about 2.5weeks left to study. What kind of score should I expect? I read alot of the LONG thread with Step 1 scores and Qbank scores, but most of the posters aren't really in my league.

What do you think?
tony

Members don't see this ad.

take one of the nbme online assesments now, and take one a few days before the test to get an idea of how likely it will be that you will pass. your q bank score is not a reliable predictor. I ended up with 58% on q bank, and got a 220, but some tests I would score in the 70's, and some in the upper 40's.

kcrd said:
take one of the nbme online assesments now, and take one a few days before the test to get an idea of how likely it will be that you will pass. your q bank score is not a reliable predictor. I ended up with 58% on q bank, and got a 220, but some tests I would score in the 70's, and some in the upper 40's.

I averaged around 62-63% overall for the 75% of Qbank I did. I also took the NBME (form A) four days prior to the real deal and scored a 510 (mean 500, std dev=100). I scored a 220 on the real exam.

Hope this helps.

Spang

dude I think you will pass step 1. I dont know about the 220 thing, but I know passing is surely in sight.

But what these guys said was right. Do the nbme (pretty soon if you can). Then just keep at it. just dont loose confidence!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Keep your confidence up. Do one of the NBME exams and if you're happy with it, think about NOT doing the other one. I got that 510 and figured if I did the other one and did worse it would blow my mindset, so I didn't.

You're in the home stretch now! Remember 90%+ of all US first time takers pass the thing!

Spang

Thanks for the replies and well-wishes. I think I will take the self-assessment today. Then I should know where I stand.
tony

Take the assessment, but don't freak when you get it. Rumor is 360 on the assessment is passing. But when you are at the lower end of things, I am not struck by the NBME's ability to predict scores- at least not mine. Did a lot better than what the practice test said I would.

Well I got a 330 on the Self-Assessment, but I think I know where to focus. Particularly, cytokines can score me a pretty good increase.
I will retake part 2 in a week and see how it shapes up.
tony

I think you can pull yourself up tremendously in two and a half weeks. Thats alot of time if you study day and night.

After I did the NBME test 1 I had the same thoughts aboout cytokines......they focused so much on that, and yes , you should know all that inside and out, but overall I felt my real test was more difficult and a lot different than the NBME, Mainly I felt the test had equal amounts of everything and the questions were much longer than those on the nbme. I havent got my step score yet, but I had a 370 (3 wks prior) and 440 (10 days ahead) of the test, and my qbank was crappy. Up till the end I had random tests with 48% correct.....