5th year undergrad vs post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephenvpr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really bad first year of undergrad.
Finishing second year now...

Estimated graduation gpa at graduation 3.35 (low estimate to be on safe side, possibly 3.4)
Already working on EC's, LoR should be no problem.
I'm not gonna say "prob >35 MCAT score" because I know that's ridiculous, but I am taking this very seriously and will be as prepared as possible for the MCAT.

I can't apply my junior year, my gpa is too low for that.
So I'm already looking at applying end of senior year, and doing some kind of coursework during that 5th year.

It would take about 19 credits a semester to finish bachelors in 4 years.

Basically I'm asking if it would benefit me to finish in 4 years and complete a year of post bacc. Or take a more manageable course load over 5 years with no post bacc.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the post-bacc.

On the AMCAS, 5th year senior grades will still be entered under "Senior Year." So, even if you did well in the 5th year, it will be hard to see an upward trend, since those grades will average in with the 4th year senior grades.

If you do a post-bacc, those courses will be entered under "Post-Baccalaureate," so they certainly will see your improvements in an upward trend.

I hope what I'm saying is clear.

Since Stephenvpr is planning to apply after his fourth year, there wouldn't be a fifth year of grades entered except as future coursework. If he planned to complete the fifth year of coursework before applying, your strategy would be sound, Xcited.

OP, med schools won't care if you take 4 or 5 years to graduate, or if you do a postbac year after graduating. All the grades will be summarized in the undergrad GPA totals either way. A steep upward grade trend will be appreciated over the four years you'll have listed. Delaying graduation may give you more seniority for signing up for classes than if you were a nondegree postbac student. You would be more likely to qualify for loans, if needed. If you can take the needed coursework at a slower pace more likely to result in excellent results, that would be another positive for delaying your graduation.

Since Stephenvpr is planning to apply after his fourth year, there wouldn't be a fifth year of grades entered except as future coursework. If he planned to complete the fifth year of coursework before applying, your strategy would be sound, Xcited.

OP, med schools won't care if you take 4 or 5 years to graduate, or if you do a postbac year after graduating. All the grades will be summarized in the undergrad GPA totals either way. A steep upward grade trend will be appreciated over the four years you'll have listed. Delaying graduation may give you more seniority for signing up for classes than if you were a nondegree postbac student. You would be more likely to qualify for loans, if needed. If you can take the needed coursework at a slower pace more likely to result in excellent results, that would be another positive for delaying your graduation.

Awesome, I was just worried they might look down on the fact I didn't graduate in 4 years because it is possible with a lot of credits each semester. It will give me a better opportunity to have a lighter course load come next spring when I begin studying for, and taking the MCAT's. That was a big relief thanks a lot!