DrNicholas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2002
Status
i might end up doing a 5th year to improve my gpa. how is this viewed by medical schools and how is the 5th year's gpa treated? does it count as a post-bac gpa (even though a degree won't be issued until the end of the 5th year) and how is it listed on the amcas application?

ZAZA67401

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Miami
Status
It counts as undergrad GPA, unless you take Graduate credits. Basically every class is grouped either as a graduate or undergraduate class and you will only ever two possible GPA's " Graduate or undergraduate". So regardless of when or where you take a class it will factor into your already existing GPA either as graduate or undergrad. I don't think medical schools care, what they care about is that you did something and did it well.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
DrNicholas said:
i might end up doing a 5th year to improve my gpa. how is this viewed by medical schools and how is the 5th year's gpa treated? does it count as a post-bac gpa (even though a degree won't be issued until the end of the 5th year) and how is it listed on the amcas application?

As long as a degree is not issued at year 4, year 5 is listed as your senior year on the AMCAS app, not post-bacc. The 5th year GPA is a part of your senior year GPA, both overall and SGPA. If you want these to be bost-bacc courses you need to graduate then re-enroll, then year 5 will be listed as PBUG on your AMCAS application. My advice would be to take difficult upper level science classes. Just padding your GPA with under-water basket weaving or Rocks for Jocks won’t impress an Ad-Com at all. Good Luck

scrappysurfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
San Diego, CA
Status
DrNicholas said:
i took 5 years so i could do internships. no one mentioned it and the internships made a huge difference in my chances

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
yeah i dont think they care as long as you do well, good luck!

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
I'm on my fifth year, and it has never come up as an issue.

ZAZA67401

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Miami
Status
scrappysurfer said:
i took 5 years so i could do internships. no one mentioned it and the internships made a huge difference in my chances
what internships? Just curious? In business or law offices?

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Mass
Status
ZAZA67401 said:
what internships? Just curious? In business or law offices?
Where did you get business or law offices out of the posters "Bioengineering" degree?