5th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNicholas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i might end up doing a 5th year to improve my gpa. how is this viewed by medical schools and how is the 5th year's gpa treated? does it count as a post-bac gpa (even though a degree won't be issued until the end of the 5th year) and how is it listed on the amcas application?

Members don't see this ad.

It counts as undergrad GPA, unless you take Graduate credits. Basically every class is grouped either as a graduate or undergraduate class and you will only ever two possible GPA's " Graduate or undergraduate". So regardless of when or where you take a class it will factor into your already existing GPA either as graduate or undergrad. I don't think medical schools care, what they care about is that you did something and did it well.

DrNicholas said:
i might end up doing a 5th year to improve my gpa. how is this viewed by medical schools and how is the 5th year's gpa treated? does it count as a post-bac gpa (even though a degree won't be issued until the end of the 5th year) and how is it listed on the amcas application?

As long as a degree is not issued at year 4, year 5 is listed as your senior year on the AMCAS app, not post-bacc. The 5th year GPA is a part of your senior year GPA, both overall and SGPA. If you want these to be bost-bacc courses you need to graduate then re-enroll, then year 5 will be listed as PBUG on your AMCAS application. My advice would be to take difficult upper level science classes. Just padding your GPA with under-water basket weaving or Rocks for Jocks won’t impress an Ad-Com at all. Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
DrNicholas said:

i took 5 years so i could do internships. no one mentioned it and the internships made a huge difference in my chances

yeah i dont think they care as long as you do well, good luck!

I'm on my fifth year, and it has never come up as an issue.

scrappysurfer said:
i took 5 years so i could do internships. no one mentioned it and the internships made a huge difference in my chances

what internships? Just curious? In business or law offices?

ZAZA67401 said:
what internships? Just curious? In business or law offices?

Where did you get business or law offices out of the posters "Bioengineering" degree?