~6 Months To Get Ready For Reapplication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skomskom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied two years ago and while I received a few interviews, I unfortunately did not get an acceptance. Since then I have been working as a software developer but have felt the itch and want to give it another shot. Unfortunately, my extracurricular activities are getting quite out of date.

I was hoping to leave my job at the beginning of spring semester, take a few more classes and devote a large amount of my time towards ECs to get my application in good shape by June. Would 6 months be enough time to prepare for reapplication?

For reference:
Utah Resident
cGPA: 3.81
sGPA: 3.75
MCAT: 31 (will be retaking as well, scored well below practice test average)
I have also continued to volunteer at a Veteran's nursing home since I last applied and am planning to increase my hours spent there when I have more time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have plenty of time to prepare your application. Where is your state of residence? Post your new MCAT score here when available and we can suggest schools.

You have plenty of time to prepare your application. Where is your state of residence? Post your new MCAT score here when available and we can suggest schools.
I'm from Utah. My extracurricular situation being as it is, would it be wise to just act as if I'm starting from scratch when searching for opportunities? Will some still be considered even though they are 2+ years old?

Members don't see this ad :)
Activities that are 2+ years old still matter. It helps if you have current involvement in medical fields such as your volunteering in the nursing home. Your best chances will be at Utah. You also have a new DO school in Utah: RVU-Utah.

Diversity in your experiences can be a major advantage. What is important is that you craft your story to medicine to show how these experiences continued to drive you to medicine- how they contributed to your analytical skills or sharpened your problem-solving. Definitely, dive into relevant ECs. Is there a way you can integrate your software interests into your medical interests?

Diversity in your experiences can be a major advantage. What is important is that you craft your story to medicine to show how these experiences continued to drive you to medicine- how they contributed to your analytical skills or sharpened your problem-solving. Definitely, dive into relevant ECs. Is there a way you can integrate your software interests into your medical interests?

That was definitely something I was looking into. I was hoping to find medical research that allowed me to program as part of my tasks, but that has been surprisingly difficult. I know there has to be countless opportunities for programming in this area, but I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right places or where to even start to be honest!