6 year program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lbrinn07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get into a six year program for pharmacy? i was looking into the University of Texas or Purdue University. I am a junior in high school right now. I took AP chem this year, and received all A's. I am taking AP Calc and AP Biology next year. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 30 ACT. Do you think i will be able to get into a six year program?

Members don't see this ad.

You should have no problem with those stats. Even some 2+4 schools with pre pharm offer guarantee's for some students strait outa high school with high ACT and gpa's as long as they keep a certain gpa. Your in good shape :thumbup:

University of Texas at Austin is not a six-year program where you apply from highschool. Getting accepted into UT Undergrad does not gaurantee you will be admitted into the professional program. You have to complete your prereqs then apply to the professional program at the College of Pharmacy.

lbrinn07 said:
How hard is it to get into a six year program for pharmacy? i was looking into the University of Texas or Purdue University. I am a junior in high school right now. I took AP chem this year, and received all A's. I am taking AP Calc and AP Biology next year. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 30 ACT. Do you think i will be able to get into a six year program?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to get in although there are rare occasions... for example my friend was #1 in her class so 4.0gpa, above if weighted, with high SATs... etc, but got wait listed for Rutgers Pharmacy school... but she did get in. Choose wisely... there are easier programs to get into like in the NJ/PA area, USP is really easy to get into their pharm program compared to Rutgers. Just apply to a few schools and i'm sure you'll get in somewhere! :)

I know UIC has a GPPA program where if you are in the top 10% of your high school class and have an ACT of 27 or above (and you get accepted), they will do a guaranteed acceptance based on maintenance of a certain GPA in college. Also, Midwestern does something similar although I am not certain of the stats for that. Basically if you get accepted to that program you can do your pre-pharmacy course work at Loyola and then after 2 years you will transfer to Midwestern and finish up there.

Butler has a great 0+6 program!!!

ADN1226 said:
You should be able to get in although there are rare occasions... for example my friend was #1 in her class so 4.0gpa, above if weighted, with high SATs... etc, but got wait listed for Rutgers Pharmacy school... but she did get in. Choose wisely... there are easier programs to get into like in the NJ/PA area, USP is really easy to get into their pharm program compared to Rutgers. Just apply to a few schools and i'm sure you'll get in somewhere! :)

amen. i just graduated high school. i was 4th in my class but purdue rejected me. but usp waitlisted me cause i applied in like january but i got in. and there program is wayyyyyy easier than purdues.

ButlerPharm.D. said:
I know UIC has a GPPA program where if you are in the top 10% of your high school class and have an ACT of 27 or above (and you get accepted), they will do a guaranteed acceptance based on maintenance of a certain GPA in college. Also, Midwestern does something similar although I am not certain of the stats for that. Basically if you get accepted to that program you can do your pre-pharmacy course work at Loyola and then after 2 years you will transfer to Midwestern and finish up there.

butler does have a good 6 year program

but i wanted to mention that if you want to try the loyola way. i warn you that they only have like 20 seats available at midwestern. when you get into loyola...you basically have to give an essay, send a transcript, and more. and it is hard as hell to get accepted to one of the 20 seats midwestern offers (from what i heard). i would recommend trying UIC. and such.

thanks for all of the suggestions. What is usp?

University of the Sciences in Philadelphia...it's a private college w/ small campus. It's true that it is easy to get accepted compared to other pharmacy schools such as rutgers; usp is still a great school, nevertheless.

ButlerPharm.D. said:

UIC GPPA Pharmacy actually requires ACT of 28 and top 15%. You are now required to get a bachelors and keep a 3.5 GPA. UIC GPPA normally accepts between 30 and 35 students per year, but many of them will not matriculate. There were 19 GPPA in my class, but the requirements were lower with no bachelors requirement and a GPA requirement of 3.25. They do give preference to Illinois residents. I say just apply and see what happens.