6-yr OMFS MD Waiver (?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beckwith Wiedemann

OMS Resident
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can any current OMFS resident or practicing OMFS attest to that there are 6-yr OMFS residencies that waive the MD tuition? If so, which ones are those? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I believe NYU and Oregon are the only programs that waive the MD tuition.

Other programs to look into for pretty good deals on tuition are...
Texas programs (Parkland, Texas A&M, Houston, SA), ~20k/year for 3 years.
LSU-Shreveport, ~30k/year for 2 years.
Louisville, ~15k/year for 2 years.

I know Mayo and Penn pays a stipend during med school to help offset of some of the tuition costs.

Reactions: 1 users
UIC also has tuition waiver (for all studies, even if a 4 yr wants a MS or something).

Members don't see this ad :)
Which programs would you say have the best stipends/pay for PGX with affordable/no COL?

Not here to really answer your question.

But if you really are "Class of 2023", I'd recommend focusing on crushing dental school classes right now. Then next year start to get thinking about CBSE and maybe do some casual shadowing at your local OMFS program. Concerning yourself with the "best stipends" is really a non-issue for you at this stage of the game.

Reactions: 1 user
Of all factors in my rank list, the cost of medical school was one of the bottom. It isn't unimportant, just a last priority. Some programs have medical tuition of over $50,000 a year for 3+ years; that was a problem for me. Most are manageable at or below $50,000 total.

Regardless, finances in residency are going to suck unless if you moonlight in my opinion. If you can't/don't, you'll most likely need loans during medical school.

Baylor gives you a 13k/year stipend to offset your 18k/year tuition.

As mentioned above, OHSU and UIC are nice deals with the tuition wavers. Case's 5 yr program seems like a nice deal. NYU seems like a nice deal with stipend + tuition waiver. Another thing that a lot people forget is that almost 1/2 of the people who matched in 2018 graduated before 2018; therefore, they likely did an intern year prior to matching. In my experience, most people (not all) who do intern years end up going the 4 yr route, which means they spend more than 4 years in training.

Last edited:
I can think of a million r€a$on$ not to do a six year program.

Great link - the difference can range anywhere from 5 to >8 million dollars after retirement if the investor is investing more than 15%.

At a certain point, some will realize it is never enough. In other cases, some find happiness in pursuing a 6 year program, continuing onto fellowship, and working with other healthcare providers in developing countries to improve the lives of the less fortunate. I'd say for some, being able to continue learning by pursuing new skills through fellowship or flexing that MD and pursuing teaching or cosmetics or whatever floats your boat, is worth it - that alone can be priceless.