1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

6r Bio question

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by sj786, Aug 11, 2006.

1. sj786

sj786 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    how does glomerular filteration rate relate to the blood pressure?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. instigata

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When you increase blood pressure, you increase the filtration rate of the blood. This is because the blood is circulating faster, and the filtration rate increases to keep up with it. Hope this helps

4. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

the way i like to think about it is that alot of blood pressure drugs are diuretics, ie make u pee. by ridding yourself of excess fluid, u reduce blood pressure.

GFR has to do with how much fluid enters your kidneys. This is directly proportional to the amount of blood entering the renal artery, which of course is going to increase if u have additional fluid in your body.

honestly, i learn everything backwards. i understand how a drug works and then relate that to how things are supposed to work. hope this helps..

5. Surg Path

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I like that answer. By inhibiting reabsorption of solutes, water reabsorption also decreases (most diuretics act this way I believe), causing fluid volume decrease and bp will drop.

Another way to think about it: increasing pressure of fluid will increase the speed through small tubes (capillaries) and thus more blood will pass through glomerulus in a given time.

I think thats all correct.