7/10/08 Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TawMus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I didn't see a 7/10/08 thread, I thought I would start one. I took mine on 5/27/08 and I thought it was extremely difficult. Hopefully the 7/10/08 one will be more comparable to the practice tests. Happy postings!

Members don't see this ad.

strange enough when I did 10 a few days ago I had a 10 verbal. I took 8 today and only had a 7... I'll be happy with at least an 8 on verbal, it's definitely my weak point.

anyway, what is everyone doing today? I'm just going to review some notes and look at some weak topics. although I am feeling kind of lazy lol

Hellooooooooo, 7/10 MCATers!!

This is your official place to stress, vent, hang out, party, cry, yell, or whatever else you need to do in the days before and just after your MCAT.

As a reminder, when your test is done, you are welcome to come here and discuss your experience with it. Discussing general passage topics is OK- ie, "I had PS passages on circuits, thermodynamics, and optics." However, you are NOT allowed post specific questions, passage information, or answer choices from your test. Any posts which contain specific content from the test will be deleted, and a 1-week post hold will be placed on your account. Look here for more information on this.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

Don't worry pingouin, there seems to be so few of us writing tomorrow you might not even hear a peep! I just finished reading the July 8th thread though, and all their panicking has made me a bit nervous. Time to go relax :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry pingouin, there seems to be so few of us writing tomorrow you might not even hear a peep! I just finished reading the July 8th thread though, and all their panicking has made me a bit nervous. Time to go relax :)
are you guys going to be the mods' good little do-bes? :smuggrin:

no PHs or infractions = pingouin bakes you all a batch of cookies

I will be joining you tomorrow morning, fellow Chicagoans! 8 AM on Clark!

Took Kaplan FL4 this morning at 8...11 PS, 13 VR, 12 BS = 36. Please let it be easy....hahaha :laugh:

Good luck to all. :thumbup:

Good luck to all of you! I'm not taking it today (6/13er) but my best friend is. I hope you all crush it!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Im sitting in a safeway parking lot stealing their wireless while I wait to take my test, hahahaha =D rock it everyone!

I just finished the MCAT and overall it was ok.

PS...had a lot of chem which is good since I'm a chem major but it also sucked since because all the physics I studied was a total waste. Also, some of the chem questions were harder than expected

VR...not bad...usually my worst section but it was a fair verbal

WS...a bit different than expected, but found it good

BS...a bit harder than the aamc's online. only 1 organic passage (I would of like more). Some hard Bio passages and a few ambiguous questions though...

I'm glad to be done! good luck everyone who is still writing!

PS: a bit tough but doable ...one acid/ base passage i didn't like at all
VR: similar to AAMC...first few passages were short and the longer passages were at the end so you had to be careful
BS: fair for the most part..some questions here and there were iffy

Overall fair which I don't like because I feel like the curve will be more stringent.

It felt a lot better than my first test. Surprisingly, no optics, no waves. And then I forgot a certain chemical compound's composition! I was like... NOOOOOOO!!!!!

And I guessed.

The next passage gave me the exact chemical composition of the compound :3. So I went back and fixed it ^.^

Members don't see this ad :)
I think overall it was pretty fair and was pretty light on physics and ochem which is definitely a plus for me. However, I don't think I was very prepared so that is probably going to result in a low score regardless of how fair the test was.

This test was waay more straight forward than the one on June13th (I voided).
PS was more chem than Physics. The discretes were really fair! One circuit passage, acid/base, simple machines, sound waves......

VS: ehhh.. I never know with this one

BS: okay but a lil weird and since when skin was on the list of MCAT bio topics?

Anyhow good luck everyone.!1:luck:

phew....glad thats over.

PS: toooo much chem but it wasn't that hard. harder than the aamc practice tests for sure. I was finishing with 15+ minutes remaining on the practices tests and getting 12+ consistently but this one i had little time left.

VR: i think the passages were a little longer than practices tests but overall it was about the same difficulty. I pray to god i break 10 in this section

BS: this is definitly my strong area. finished with 20 minutes left. although 1 or 2 questions i absolutely had no idea and the extra time didn't help...just had to take a guess. i did think however that practice tests tested more of my knowledge as in i could answer a lot of questions from memory whereas in this test i had to rely more on the passages

overall i think it was pretty fair

My 1st MCAT, but I found it very easy. BS and PS were very fair. 1 torque question, which I didn't even try and solve just guessed because I was low on time lol. VR I ended up with 8 minutes to do my last 2 passages , so I sort of ran out of time which sucked. I'll be very happy to see a 10, which is what I need for some cutoffs.

The Writing Samples I had seen both before, so it wasn't too bad. As long as my marker doesn't know Chinese history, he won't realize I made up a new province :D

Overall, Very reasonable in my opinion.

PS: I thought it was fair, not nearly as hard as 5/27th one. More G. Chem than expected. Not bad.

VS: Fairly simple passages, except maybe 1 or 2. Very little arts/humanities type passages. Usually my worst, but I think best this time.

BS: Usually my best, but worst this time I think. I was pretty tired by the end of it. Wow, lots of genetics. And I can't believe they asked about Zoo stuffs. Very little orgo, altho the one they had was pretty hard.

Anyways, thought I did better then the last time I took it. But I think there won't be much of a curve judging the difficulty of the material. Voided it and plan to retake in August.

How soon should I retake if I want to be still considered for this application cycle?

I did average and want to be prepared in case I get a bad score.:luck:

I thought the PS section was harder than the aamc tests... maybe it was just nerves...Is it normal to feel like you got more wrong than on a practice AAMC? I felt like the BS and VR were about the same as an AAMC... I'm just worried I got like a 6 on the PS when I usually get 9's and 10's in practice...

I thought the VR was harder than on AAMC 8, the PS was easy (but I didn't finish-more later), and the BS was doable but interestingly odd. I know I missed the last question in BS because I clicked the opposite of what I meant. Stupid.

I went into the test feeling great, confident, cool, compose, not nervous or anything, basically in the perfect test mood. That changed quickly. About midway through the second passage in the PS, my screen (a garbage CRT that was dark and flickery) began to develop dark horizontal brown bars across it, making it impossible to read. I sat there, hoping the proctor would notice, but he didn't, so I waved, then finally stood up and went over. I told him what the problem was, he talked to his counterpart (my time still ticking down of course), then he runs in and turns off my computer, leaving me to stand outside. A few minutes later he lets me back in, but now I have lost my place and pretty much start the second passage from scratch. Not only that, I couldn't help but be a bit upset, which is never a good thing. The fact that I was being #$%$% over because the testing center didn't want to upgrade it's faulty, crappy equipment was maddening. I'm not really the type to let things get to me, so I let it pass as best I could. Though it was a huge, and preventable distraction and mood killer.
Fast forward to a couple hours later, I'm cruising along and guess what? Yeah, the damn screen browns over. This time I am f$%king pissed, as I was in the BS and did NOT want to be interrupted. I tell the guy, who puts down his pizza and again turns my computer off. His counterpart who mans the main computer in control of everything is somewhere in some other part of the building, so I sit for 10 minutes, stress hormones dumping out everywhere. At that point I just leave and go get a drink of water. As I said before, I can let almost anything slide, but it just blew my mind to think that none of this should even be happening if this place would just fix or replace it's stuff. There was no blackout, no earthquake, no real reason for this. Just garbage a garbage computer. Eventually the woman came back in and I got to finish the test.
Sorry for the long post, but I had to get that out.

I prepared very heavily for this test (3+ months of nothing but studying) and focused quite a bit on physics and chemistry since I knew those would be my weakest areas.

PS: I didn't finish-- thus, I voided my exam. There were just too many calculations. I found my test to be an even split between physics and chemistry but very, very heavy on calculations. I was averaging 3-4 minutes per problem + time for reading passages. I had 1 passage plus 2 pages of stand-alones left unanswered when I ran out of time.

VR: The passages were actually interesting and one of them was from a book I had recently read-- imagine that! The questions were very straightforward and the answers were pretty predictable. Finished with 7 minutes remaining.

BS: Very heavy on Mendelian genetics and much on molecular genetics (transcription, translation, replication...) some developmental genetics as well. I had 2 organic passages, 1 was straightforward the other was a pretty tough synthesis scheme. I had several questions regarding amino acids (structures, properties, side chains) Overall, however, I would say the BS section was slightly more difficult than the AMCAS practice tests (but not much more difficult) Finished with 10 minutes remaining.

I am very disappointed today. After spending the entire summer preparing and taking a rather late exam, I don't know If I'll be prepared to retest for this application cycle (I doubt it) I never ran out of time on any of the sections during practice and actually, typically had about 10 minutes remaining on PS. I am also bummed because it seems like today's exam was actually rather easy in comparison to the past couple of months of exams. Best of luck to everyone.

I thought the VR was harder than on AAMC 8, the PS was easy (but I didn't finish-more later), and the BS was doable but interestingly odd. I know I missed the last question in BS because I clicked the opposite of what I meant. Stupid.

I went into the test feeling great, confident, cool, compose, not nervous or anything, basically in the perfect test mood. That changed quickly. About midway through the second passage in the PS, my screen (a garbage CRT that was dark and flickery) began to develop dark horizontal brown bars across it, making it impossible to read. I sat there, hoping the proctor would notice, but he didn't, so I waved, then finally stood up and went over. I told him what the problem was, he talked to his counterpart (my time still ticking down of course), then he runs in and turns off my computer, leaving me to stand outside. A few minutes later he lets me back in, but now I have lost my place and pretty much start the second passage from scratch. Not only that, I couldn't help but be a bit upset, which is never a good thing. The fact that I was being #$%$% over because the testing center didn't want to upgrade it's faulty, crappy equipment was maddening. I'm not really the type to let things get to me, so I let it pass as best I could. Though it was a huge, and preventable distraction and mood killer.
Fast forward to a couple hours later, I'm cruising along and guess what? Yeah, the damn screen browns over. This time I am f$%king pissed, as I was in the BS and did NOT want to be interrupted. I tell the guy, who puts down his pizza and again turns my computer off. His counterpart who mans the main computer in control of everything is somewhere in some other part of the building, so I sit for 10 minutes, stress hormones dumping out everywhere. At that point I just leave and go get a drink of water. As I said before, I can let almost anything slide, but it just blew my mind to think that none of this should even be happening if this place would just fix or replace it's stuff. There was no blackout, no earthquake, no real reason for this. Just garbage a garbage computer. Eventually the woman came back in and I got to finish the test.

That is really, really horrible. AAMC really dropped the ball on their switchover to computer testing. I e-mailed them personally to complain that it is unfair that the testing centers have different/older computers and some are new. I was very lucky to have very nice 17"LCDs and thinkpad laptops. My friend on the other hand had a crappy 15" CRT w/ a 60hz refresh rate that must have been extremely annoying. I'm not sure the AAMC realizes how badly that fact alone changes the testing conditions from student to student. In my opinion, if they were going to move over to computer testing, they should have been ready to make all the test centers equitable. Oh well...hopefully it'll get fixed in the future.

Hey! Hope that went well for everybody! I have a quick question. I know that I missed one question on the BS section, but I'm about 85% sure that that's the only question I missed. Is it still possible to get a 15 if you missed one question? Or is 14 as good as you can get? (BTW, please don't flame me. I am really wondering.)

I ended up voiding this exam.
PS - thought it was fair. Very light on physics with lots of chemistry.
VR - didn't finish, hence I voided.
BS - pretty easy, finished with ~30 minutes to spare.

Need to figure out when I will retake the mcat. Really frustrated that I didn't finish the verbal section. I always finish the verbal with time to spare on the AAMC practice exams. :(

I took 7/10 exam for the heck of it because I had already registered for it after my 5/27 exam which I thought I had bombed (I ended up getting a 35). Still I figured a higher score (like 39) couldn't hurt lol, and I could always void.

The 7/10 was MUCH easier than the 5/27 in that a lot of the questions had answers that were just from memorization. The 7/10 was far closer to AAMC practice tests 3 or 4 than 6 through 10. The content in 7/10 was soooo straightforward that it scared me, the PS was almost like taking an AP Chemistry test plus a few circuit problems. Verbal was ridiculously easy (no humanities/arts passages!), most of the VR passages were on history, evolution and psych (which is generally easy reading for premeds).

But the sad thing was that I had prepared for the 7/10 expecting it to be like the 5/27 one (new and bizarre concepts, on the spot critical thinking). I didn't go over a lot of the review materials that I should've, so I had trouble recalling a lot of the really easy questions lol (makes you want to bang your head on the table).

Since I figured this test was too easy, the curve would probably suck (like the VR curve on AAMC #10, miss two and get a 11), I decided to void the exam after bio.

That is really, really horrible. AAMC really dropped the ball on their switchover to computer testing. I e-mailed them personally to complain that it is unfair that the testing centers have different/older computers and some are new. I was very lucky to have very nice 17"LCDs and thinkpad laptops. My friend on the other hand had a crappy 15" CRT w/ a 60hz refresh rate that must have been extremely annoying. I'm not sure the AAMC realizes how badly that fact alone changes the testing conditions from student to student. In my opinion, if they were going to move over to computer testing, they should have been ready to make all the test centers equitable. Oh well...hopefully it'll get fixed in the future.

I agree. Funny you should mention the 60hz stuff, I actually started digging through the monitors menus to try and make it look better, and the monitor itself was saying I needed to change it. I didn't though, since I didn't want anyone to say I had messed it up. That refresh plus the dithering (I wish the test were in B&W, not shades of brown these monitors can't seem to reproduce) was extremely annoying.
Coming home and watching the last 15 minutes of Rambo has made me feel a bit better. :thumbup:
So, who else is ready to schedule a retake?

And what's up with 7/10's obsession on bicarbonate (there must've been like 5 questions directly on it) and giving out the answer in a later passage.... lame.

I agree. Funny you should mention the 60hz stuff, I actually started digging through the monitors menus to try and make it look better, and the monitor itself was saying I needed to change it. I didn't though, since I didn't want anyone to say I had messed it up. That refresh plus the dithering (I wish the test were in B&W, not shades of brown these monitors can't seem to reproduce) was extremely annoying.
Coming home and watching the last 15 minutes of Rambo has made me feel a bit better. :thumbup:
So, who else is ready to schedule a retake?

Me, but not sure when in August would be best. Most schools I applied to have Nov 1st deadlines so, does it mean I could take it on the Aug 15th or end of Aug and still be ok? Any one?

Hey! Hope that went well for everybody! I have a quick question. I know that I missed one question on the BS section, but I'm about 85% sure that that's the only question I missed. Is it still possible to get a 15 if you missed one question? Or is 14 as good as you can get? (BTW, please don't flame me. I am really wondering.)

You'll probably make stupid mistakes elsewhere (the curve is harder for easier tests). For the 5/27 I thought I missed just one question on BS (but I thought I bombed PS and VR). I ended up getting only a 12 on BS and 12 on PS, 11 on VR.

If anything, you can definitely bring that up if your scores aren't up to par with what you feel you should've gotten. I would write to the aamc about it and, if need be, bring it up in interviews. I alone was mad that I had 15" crt monitors (reading verbal passages on these things are annoying), but if that had happened, I would be just as mad.

i'm so sorry that happened to you! i thought my proctor freely talking with a test-taker walking to his computer for a whole minute was bad!

and YES to the computer screens. when i took the first test (that i voided due to physical problems), the monitors were lcd, 17 inch and very nice. when i took my second test this past week, i got some cruddy 15 inch oldschool monitor that took up half the desk and had a slight flicker on top of its overall dimness. i mean really, we're paying pretty heftily for these tests. the cost of 2 tests could buy a brand new, awesome monitor that'd standardize this test more. bahhh.

i'm so sorry that happened to you! i thought my proctor freely talking with a test-taker walking to his computer for a whole minute was bad!

and YES to the computer screens. when i took the first test (that i voided due to physical problems), the monitors were lcd, 17 inch and very nice. when i took my second test this past week, i got some cruddy 15 inch oldschool monitor that took up half the desk and had a slight flicker on top of its overall dimness. i mean really, we're paying pretty heftily for these tests. the cost of 2 tests could buy a brand new, awesome monitor that'd standardize this test more. bahhh.

The cost of 1 test could buy a solid 17" standard aspect LCD. It's about 150-200 bucks. If you buy in bulk, I bet it's even cheaper.

I am pretty sure they would have to call the police on me.

Because I would be beating some a$$!

All that work and then the monitor does not work and the AAMC will not even compensate from what I have heard.

I pray that never happens to me!

When I took my test in April, I also got a crappy monitor. The text of my passages was cut off, so you had to guess what you read. The test center's response was a promise that it would be fixed after PS.... there I go, after my break, frustrated, upset over not doing well in PS... then the same thing happens in Verbal. The mean woman comes in, messes with my screen, my time is clicking away..... Imagine that.
I didn't get my time back, didn't get my money back, wasted time communicating with the horrible AAMC, ended up retesting at my own expense.

also, studiddy, i just want to commend you for handling the whole situation so calmly and trucking forward with your test despite the outrageous problems. quality of a future great doctor :luck:

When I took my test in April, I also got a crappy monitor. The text of my passages was cut off, so you had to guess what you read. The test center's response was promising that it would be fixed after PS.... there I go, frustrated, upset over not doing well in PS... then the same thing happens in Verbal. The mean woman comes in, messes with my screen, my time is clicking away..... Imagine that.
I didn't get my time back, didn't get my money back, wasted time communicating with the horrible AAMC, ended up retesting at my own cost.

yikes! that's horrible! i really hope that although it doesn't seem that way, aamc is collecting all this feedback and working on implementing a way to reduce the chances of this happening. i mean, i know cbt is relatively new, but COME ON! you can't spend forever hammering in that this is one of the most important tests as a pre-emd and then throw these curveballs at us! perhaps they're trying to test how well stress is handled :smuggrin:

After taking the MCAT twice I find it really bizarre that they like to test the same concept OVER and OVER again in ONE session (like if you see circuits, you're going to see 4 more circuit problems in PS). Someone who might just happen to be weak on that one area would be royally SCREWED, and someone who did his BS honors thesis on the one area that just happened to be tested over and over again would be on his way to a 39-40.

What a weird way to measure someone's general abilities. Wouldn't it make more sense to test a wider range of content to separate people who really don't know WTF is going on from those who just happen to be a bit weak in one small area?

Oh man at people thinking it was fair...
I bet $100 that the next test date will be insane

Oh man at people thinking it was fair...
I bet $100 that the next test date will be insane

Bite your tongue! I'm taking the next test date (July 18th) after voiding my June 13th exam because it was "insane."

And what's up with 7/10's obsession on bicarbonate (there must've been like 5 questions directly on it) and giving out the answer in a later passage.... lame.

lmao...i know i kept going "BICARBONATE AGAIN!!". i should have based half my study on that ion alone :D

Bite your tongue! I'm taking the next test date (July 18th) after voiding my June 13th exam because it was "insane."

They do kind of alternate apparently. My gf took the 5/31 one, and it was much more straightforward in subject matter than my crazy 5/27 one (where I seriously thought I guessed a good 40% of the test). And wasn't 6/13 the one right after 5/31?

I prepared very heavily for this test (3+ months of nothing but studying) and focused quite a bit on physics and chemistry since I knew those would be my weakest areas.

PS: I didn't finish-- thus, I voided my exam. There were just too many calculations. I found my test to be an even split between physics and chemistry but very, very heavy on calculations. I was averaging 3-4 minutes per problem + time for reading passages. I had 1 passage plus 2 pages of stand-alones left unanswered when I ran out of time.

VR: The passages were actually interesting and one of them was from a book I had recently read-- imagine that! The questions were very straightforward and the answers were pretty predictable. Finished with 7 minutes remaining.

BS: Very heavy on Mendelian genetics and much on molecular genetics (transcription, translation, replication...) some developmental genetics as well. I had 2 organic passages, 1 was straightforward the other was a pretty tough synthesis scheme. I had several questions regarding amino acids (structures, properties, side chains) Overall, however, I would say the BS section was slightly more difficult than the AMCAS practice tests (but not much more difficult) Finished with 10 minutes remaining.

I am very disappointed today. After spending the entire summer preparing and taking a rather late exam, I don't know If I'll be prepared to retest for this application cycle (I doubt it) I never ran out of time on any of the sections during practice and actually, typically had about 10 minutes remaining on PS. I am also bummed because it seems like today's exam was actually rather easy in comparison to the past couple of months of exams. Best of luck to everyone.

i'm pretty sure we had the exact same test. they definitely loved bicarbonate. that was all over the place. i was laughing since someone who doesnt know much on bicarbonate was gonna miss 5 questions easy. they ended up giving the answers to earlier questions in later questions, tho! this was the one thing i got lucky in and knew it simply on my own.

the thing i dread the most is torque. they definitely had torque with a simple machine on there. that passage WORKED me haha. well sorta...i'm sure i missed a few on that. lame. the PS was just very calculation heavy. i usually finish with 5-10 min left but was only left with a minute. that's not really much time to go look at marked questions. they were simple questions, but like someone said, very specific. if you don't know all the intricacies of something, you probably got worked haha.

this time around i actually didn't get screwed by the testing center. my first mcat had terrible computers. they were super old and slow with terrible, old, dim monitors. the comps were so slow that it'd take 5-10 seconds to switch pages and the clock would still be going. :mad: HOWEVER, today's center was much better. i made sure to not retake at that first crap place. all the monitors today were LCD 17". i think it may have actually been the same monitor as my brother's, so i was already used to it!

here's where i was even more fortunate. i was scared to death of the power going out since i've heard stories on here and my own friends having that problem. being in the middle of a section and all of a sudden losing power for 10 minutes would totally ruin your pacing, concentration, etc. so here's the story today...

i was like 30 min into the VR. i read on here last night that someone hated the pounding of keyboards from the WS as he's doing his VR. i didn't have that problem my first mcat. this time, tho, the guy right behind me started pounding away, arghh! the monitors were nice, but the keyboards were old and super loud. i was starting to lose my patience when all of a sudden i hear the power goes out! i look behind me and the kids computer is turned off. haha! i looked around the room and every single computer was shut off...EXCEPT mine! hahaha! i was like "holy crap someone's watching over me!" by the time they got the other comps back on i was nearly done with my VR, so the the pounding keyboards weren't too bad in the end. i have no idea why all the computers shut off. the building still had power. it wasn't stormy or anything. i have absolutely no clue why my comp was the only one not to shut off! it was pretty nice!

anyways, yea...the BS was pretty genetics heavy. i had 1, arguably 2, ochem passages. one of those passages was biochem structures, so i don't know if you count that as ochem or bio. if counted as bio, then only one true ochem passage on a synthesis that was pretty straightforward.

the VR i thought wasn't too bad...i remembered the passages on the real test being longer. i finished with like 5 min left. half of the passages were science topics. one was environmental ethics, which i just finished a summer class on last week hehe. some of the passages towards the end were a lil more tricky. not so much the passages themselves but i had some trouble with some of the questions.

so, was it better than my first one? i don't know...i don't wanna jinx it. i at least finished the PS with some time to spare this time. the first time i had to guess on an entire passage. so yea...30 days to go

Last edited:
Maybe the alternating patterns (straightforward passages vs WTF passages) is a legacy of the old April-August test sessions, just to screw with people.

i was like 30 min into the VR. i read on here last night that someone hated the pounding of keyboards from the WS as he's doing his VR. i didn't have that problem my first mcat. this time, tho, the guy right behind me started pounding away, arghh! the monitors were nice, but the keyboards were old and super loud. i was starting to lose my patience when all of a sudden i hear the power goes out! i look behind me and the kids computer is turned off. haha! i looked around the room and every single computer was shut off...EXCEPT mine! hahaha! i was like "holy crap someone's watching over me!" by the time they got the other comps back on i was nearly done with my VR, so the the pounding keyboards weren't too bad in the end. i have no idea why all the computers shut off. the building still had power. it wasn't stormy or anything. i have absolutely no clue why my comp was the only one not to shut off! it was pretty nice!

Man, you lucked out! My experience for 7/10 was pretty much identical to yours. 7/10 left me feeling like I just didn't study hard enough rather than I wasn't concentrating hard enough (whereas 5/27 was just the opposite).