7/10/08 Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TawMus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I didn't see a 7/10/08 thread, I thought I would start one. I took mine on 5/27/08 and I thought it was extremely difficult. Hopefully the 7/10/08 one will be more comparable to the practice tests. Happy postings!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if some passages are objectively tougher, or if it only matters on which areas an individual is strong in.. that passage on acid base titrations just messed me up on the PS section, although I thought I had a good handle on that subject matter. Kind of psyched me out for a bit on the rest of that section, fortunately the remaining ps topics were ones I was pretty familiar with.

Verbal seemed reasonable, writing sample seemed reasonable, I did well on that section last year & suspect partially this had to do with familiarity & ability to use those extra point scrabble words, just tried to throw in as many as reasonable, hoping for a T there maybe. (of course this is the section no one looks at)

bio seemed OK more or less, my take was that PS was the toughest/most questionable section in general. Only thing that made me unhappy was the skin stuff, I only recall & could tell the 2 "spot adhesion" things apart due to anatomy coursework, definitely this was not covered in entry level bio or mcat review material. I saw a graph on the test that was exactly the same as one on the EK bio material, (EK said "memorize this graph") that put a smile on my face!

[deleted] sorry i did not know the level of specificity that is allowed...saw people posting about it in earlier pages so I thought it was OK to be general~

Last edited:
I think you aren't supposed to be so specific about test material... you can get in trouble for that on here... to the above poster.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea... if I understand correctly you can't actually refer to actual questions that are on the tests... I may have been wrong about judging what you posted, but better safe than sorry...

[deleted] sorry i did not know the level of specificity that is allowed...saw people posting about it in earlier pages so I thought it was OK to be general~

If you want to ask a question like that, just ask it in a study forum as a general science question, don't refer to it as an MCAT question from an actual test. The AAMC does not have a patent on all science, but the point is we're not supposed to let future MCAT takers know about specific questions, it's unfair for all of us. Thanks for editing...

So to keep this thread going...I think I got a 6 on PS.... haha...

I made a desperate attempt today to remember what the answers I put down on the test were... I actually tried to lie down and close my eyes to see if I could really look into my subconscious memory... but instead I ended up on a bus trying to figure out what mysterious symptom I saw in order to save someone's life... wait that was "House" nevermind....

Ahhhhh!
The 6/13 people are just getting their scores...I seriously can't wait until August 10th!

I took the 6/13 but voided, so yeahhhh

I have been lurking around the June 13th thread today. Even though I took this test last Thursday, it was nice to watch some people get their numbers. I can't wait 'til it's our turn!

Pretty sure the entire top 5% is represented here on SDN...makes it hard to be particularly proud of anything below 85th percentile...:scared:

Anyone still feeling like they got owned by the PS section? Or is it just me?

I definitely do! I skipped a lot of the ones with calculations and ran out of time at the end (which never happened with practices). I completely guessed on at least 5 at the end so im not expecting a great score.

In all the practice exams I took, I never used more than one sheet of scratch for the PS section. That is, only the front of the sheet.

On test day, I had to use a front, a back, and another front! :eek: lol

I don't really recall the feeling it left me with, but it was definitely a TON of math.:thumbdown:

How long did ya'll prepare?
I started in December but I didn't study very hard at all...just a little by little for a long time. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I started studying May 12, the start of my KAPLAN class. Class ended July 8, and I took the test the 10th. In roughly 2 months, my (practice) score went from a 21 to a 36. I studied ~4 hours a day and ended up taking 12 full-lengths. I have my fingers crossed...:D

Anyone still feeling like they got owned by the PS section? Or is it just me?

i think so...but then ive been looking at my AAMCs and realize i pretty much had just as many guesses and whatnot on those. i think the reason i'm freaking out so much is b/c i never have to consciously think about all the questions i missed or may have missed after the AAMCs. as soon you choose "score test" you see your score! you don't have get all nervous about what you missed! this wait is torture!

go look at the mid-june thread, though. just about EVERYONE got their AAMC average. so i guess in a way, we already all know our scores? :thumbup:

i think so...but then ive been looking at my AAMCs and realize i pretty much had just as many guesses and whatnot on those. i think the reason i'm freaking out so much is b/c i never have to consciously think about all the questions i missed or may have missed after the AAMCs. as soon you choose "score test" you see your score! you don't have get all nervous about what you missed! this wait is torture!

go look at the mid-june thread, though. just about EVERYONE got their AAMC average. so i guess in a way, we already all know our scores? :thumbup:

I hope you're right...it makes me sick because the only questions I remember are the ones I guessed on. So basically in my head it feels like I guessed on everything... My AAMC PS average was 9-10....but right now...as I said before it feels like I got a 6-7...

It felt like the questions were either really easy or really hard...no in between...time is going soo slowwww

I agree with you on the difference between the paper exam vs the computer exam. The whole MCAT experience is so much nicer than the 8-10 hour ORDEAL that the paper test was when I took it!

Thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts on this test. I am in the same boat as everyone. I was surprised by how "easy" it felt but am worried that the curve will be awful. On my previous round at the MCAT (April '04), I got VR 11, BS 10 and PS 8. In my recent practice tests my VR and BS have stayed the same and my PS bounced around from 7-10. I am really hoping to crack 30 this time around!

Only 29 more days to wait. Yea.

The MCAT demagogues say that physical sciences is the best section to see score increases(with practice) so your in luck!

I hope you're right...it makes me sick because the only questions I remember are the ones I guessed on. So basically in my head it feels like I guessed on everything... My AAMC PS average was 9-10....but right now...as I said before it feels like I got a 6-7...

It felt like the questions were either really easy or really hard...no in between...time is going soo slowwww

Yeahhh.
All I'm shooting for is a 30. That is not an excellent score, but solid enough to get in somewhere.

is it possible to add a poll to this thread to get an idea of how people felt about the difficulty of each section?

I saw that the 6/13 people did it....and it seems to have been a pretty good indicator of the curve they got on each section...

So, after spending most of yesterday watching the June 13 scores roll in, I have noticed a trend. MOST people got their AAMC/Kaplan predicted grade.

However, there were those left shocked by the fact that they did not get what they thought they would. :scared: The main culprit that they all claim: nerves and sleep deprivation.

That is all. Just trying to keep the thread alive.

So, after spending most of yesterday watching the June 13 scores roll in, I have noticed a trend. MOST people got their AAMC/Kaplan predicted grade.

However, there were those left shocked by the fact that they did not get what they thought they would. :scared: The main culprit that they all claim: nerves and sleep deprivation.

The trend I noticed was that most people scored 2 points higher on PS than they predicted after having taken the test (they attribute this to a curved section)

I got about three hours of sleep....I hope this isn't the case for me...

agreed. everyone i know who felt shaky afterwards didn't sleep well the night before. one look at my practice VR scores, and it's clear which ones were achieved after a good night's sleep, or doing something relaxing the day before. my brain was fried from studying so much a couple weeks before the exam (7/8) that my scores started to dip. i took a step back, watched "arrested development" DVDs to have some laughs, and just tried to be as relaxed and healthy as possible leading up to the exam. this included the use of scented candles, hot tubs, and listening to the spa channel on sirius -- which at first was totally cheesy -- but it helped me relax. as a result, my practice scores improved and stabilized, and i didn't leave the exam feeling like i bombed it. of course, this feeling is meaningless without numbers to back it up, so i'll just have to wait until 8/12 to see if my strategy paid off.

[fingers crossed for all 7/8 & 7/10-ers!]

agreed. everyone i know who felt shaky afterwards didn't sleep well the night before. one look at my practice VR scores, and it's clear which ones were achieved after a good night's sleep, or doing something relaxing the day before. my brain was fried from studying so much a couple weeks before the exam (7/8) that my scores started to dip. i took a step back, watched "arrested development" DVDs to have some laughs, and just tried to be as relaxed and healthy as possible leading up to the exam. this included the use of scented candles, hot tubs, and listening to the spa channel on sirius -- which at first was totally cheesy -- but it helped me relax. as a result, my practice scores improved and stabilized, and i didn't leave the exam feeling like i bombed it. of course, this feeling is meaningless without numbers to back it up, so i'll just have to wait until 8/12 to see if my strategy paid off.

[fingers crossed for all 7/8 & 7/10-ers!]

Hot tubs, scented candles, and Arrested Development, sounds like a fun night to me! Maybe I can join you next time?:love:

I went through the same pre-test score slump. I hit my peak, then dropped significantly because of burn out and lack of caring. So I took two days and went out with friends (good fun, no partying..saved that for the night after) and just changed my lifestyle. After those two days, my score got even better. :thumbup:

Good luck to all :luck::luck::luck:

this included the use of scented candles, hot tubs, and listening to the spa channel on sirius

this would be good if u were getting ready to make love to the mcat :D i was going toward the exact opposite direction actually :D :) :D

yeah -- it would have been sexy, had i not been thinking of electrolytic cells, digestive enzymes, and gas laws. oh well. sometimes you gotta create your own enthalpy. ;)

yeah -- it would have been sexy, had i not been thinking of electrolytic cells, digestive enzymes, and gas laws. oh well. sometimes you gotta create your own enthalpy. ;)

omg.
hahahahahahahaha.
:laugh:

ps.
besides the PS, does EVERYONE on this thread feel like they did well on the BS and Verbal?
I thought the Verbal was unusually "easy." The obvious answer was there (and the other ones did not make sense at all). Usually, you narrow it down to 2 likely answers and hope you chose the right one...

And I finished 20 minutes early on Bio too.

If everyone thought Bio and Verbal were easy, I can't imagine how bad the curve will be :/

omg.
hahahahahahahaha.
:laugh:

ps.
besides the PS, does EVERYONE on this thread feel like they did well on the BS and Verbal?
I thought the Verbal was unusually "easy." The obvious answer was there (and the other ones did not make sense at all). Usually, you narrow it down to 2 likely answers and hope you chose the right one...

And I finished 20 minutes early on Bio too.

If everyone thought Bio and Verbal were easy, I can't imagine how bad the curve will be :/

I felt like PS was the only difficult section for me.

Verbal was easy..I actually finished with two minutes remaining..which is good for me... especially considering the power went out while i was in the middle of the salt passage...I still stayed focus... So I'm guessing the curve won't be that great.

BS, I thought was somewhat straight forward. There was some things that I felt was outside the scope of General Biology (like things I learned in my cell biology class)...

Do you agree with my assumption of the curve for this test:

PS>BS>VR

I'm also guessing there was only like 15 people from SDN that took the 7/10 test...

I'm also guessing there was only like 15 people from SDN that took the 7/10 test...

I'm sure more than 15 members took this test. My guess is that like most things-internet, people with extreme opinions chime in. It seems that most of the posters either thought the test was easy, or that it "owned" them. I'm in the middle, I thought that most of the test was on the easy side, with a few questions outside of what I saw on any practice test--I did all eight. Even the VR, I though five sections were straightforward, one average/difficult, and one that made me want to puke. I came out really unhappy about it, and in retrospect I think for me it was the unusual balance of easy/hard on this test that made me uncomfortable...28 days...

I'm sure more than 15 members took this test. My guess is that like most things-internet, people with extreme opinions chime in. It seems that most of the posters either thought the test was easy, or that it "owned" them. I'm in the middle, I thought that most of the test was on the easy side, with a few questions outside of what I saw on any practice test--I did all eight. Even the VR, I though five sections were straightforward, one average/difficult, and one that made me want to puke. I came out really unhappy about it, and in retrospect I think for me it was the unusual balance of easy/hard on this test that made me uncomfortable...28 days...

I can see where you're coming from. I do agree that the verbal was a lot easier than I expected. Reading on here before the test I expected the passages to be extremely dense and confusing. I was surprised to find them not like that at all.

I just have the overwhelming fear of my PS score. I always felt good about the AAMC practice tests, but I didn't feel good about this one....I just hope the curve is a little better than the practice tests...I just want a 9...

I'll stop complaining for a few days..haha

okay, seriously, we have no idea how the curve will be and really cannot comment on it. like someone said, there are like 15 ppl on here who took last thursday's test. we're like what...0.01% of that day's test takers?

i agree, tho, the PS was the hardest part IMO. the verbal was pretty standard...just like the AAMCs. same with the bio. i felt the first few VR passages were straightforward but the last few were a lil confusing. i can't recall the topics of the last few passages....i just know i actually had some trouble with those unlike the first few.

i can't recall the topics of the last few passages....i just know i actually had some trouble with those unlike the first few.

I'll never forget #VI. It was about Italian Renaissance, and it was one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever read, and I'm sure it had the longest single paragraph I've seen on a VR passage...

Actually, I think the only reason for the existence of MCAT VR is to give an audience to inexcusably unreadable, uninteresting, horrible writing that would otherwise never be graced by human eyes.

I'll never forget #VI. It was about Italian Renaissance, and it was one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever read, and I'm sure it had the longest single paragraph I've seen on a VR passage...

Actually, I think the only reason for the existence of MCAT VR is to give an audience to inexcusably unreadable, uninteresting, horrible writing that would otherwise never be graced by human eyes.

oh yea, i remember that one now. yea, that was a terrible one lol. i just hope i kept all the names straight. the passage was boring and they kept switching back and forth between these oldass names i'm barely familiar with haha. i definitely had a few answers i was iffy on...i think passage V then also gave me some trouble. i just know there were 2 in a row and that VI was definitely one of them. :thumbdown:

I felt like PS was the only difficult section for me.

Verbal was easy..I actually finished with two minutes remaining..which is good for me... especially considering the power went out while i was in the middle of the salt passage...I still stayed focus... So I'm guessing the curve won't be that great.

BS, I thought was somewhat straight forward. There was some things that I felt was outside the scope of General Biology (like things I learned in my cell biology class)...

Do you agree with my assumption of the curve for this test:

PS>BS>VR

What passage on verbal was about salt?

I actually had time to read that passage twice...my comprehension for that passage prolly went up from 5% to 10% the second time around. it reminded me of that passage about classical concepts, typicality ratings etc from CBT10. I also read that twice n still didn't understand a damn thing.

Personally, I thought that the PS was difficult. There were few questions that were pretty straightforward. However, majority of the questions were confusing and I was unable to answer them with 100% confidence.
PS is my strongest section and I found it very different from the AAMC practice tests. I usually end up scoring a 12 or 13 on them.
But on the actual test, this section left me with the most unsatisfying feeling, which is rare.

As for the VS, I can't recall too much. I thought the passages were simpler to read than the practice tests, in the sense that I wasn't thinking to myself "WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CRAP TALKING ABOUT. DIE MCAT DIE!!", while reading it. Hhahah. :D I did spend more time reading the passages because they were way longer than the practice, and some questions were hard to answer. So, I don't consider the section that easy as many or most of you claim. (I hope there's at least few people out there who feel the way I do.)

I also had people typing their essays on the keyboard really loudly and this person turning his chair left and right making squeaking noises, which really didn't help my focus.

The BS was "easier" than the practice tests. It also seemed like some of the questions, you had to know and couldn't really use the passages to figure them out.

To be honest, I can't recall that much about everything as some of you guys can. It seemed like the test went by so fast and my brain somehow chose to remove any recollection of the feeling that I had after the test. hahah..

I'm trying not to think too much about the test because it'll only make me freak out more reading how everyone thought that the exam was easy. But these forums are way too addictive. :p

Personally, I thought that the PS was difficult. There were few questions that were pretty straightforward. However, majority of the questions were confusing and I was unable to answer them with 100% confidence.
PS is my strongest section and I found it very different from the AAMC practice tests. I usually end up scoring a 12 or 13 on them.
But on the actual test, this section left me with the most unsatisfying feeling, which is rare.

As for the VS, I can't recall too much. I thought the passages were simpler to read than the practice tests, in the sense that I wasn't thinking to myself "WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CRAP TALKING ABOUT. DIE MCAT DIE!!", while reading it. Hhahah. :D I did spend more time reading the passages because they were way longer than the practice, and some questions were hard to answer. So, I don't consider the section that easy as many or most of you claim. (I hope there's at least few people out there who feel the way I do.)

I also had people typing their essays on the keyboard really loudly and this person turning his chair left and right making squeaking noises, which really didn't help my focus.

The BS was "easier" than the practice tests. It also seemed like some of the questions, you had to know and couldn't really use the passages to figure them out.

To be honest, I can't recall that much about everything as some of you guys can. It seemed like the test went by so fast and my brain somehow chose to remove any recollection of the feeling that I had after the test. hahah..

I'm trying not to think too much about the test because it'll only make me freak out more reading how everyone thought that the exam was easy. But these forums are way too addictive. :p

I'm glad you posted...it makes me feel better that I'm not just crazy in saying the PS was less straight-forward than some have said. I'm hoping the score release will be on the 11th instead of the 12th... so I'll be optimistic and say 27 days...

So, it has taken me a few days to recover (still recovering) from the shock that was the MCAT so here I am posting about it finally. In the beginning everyone said it was "pretty easy" so I was baffled!

Yeah, PS was rather hard for me. I was kind of shocked at the many calculations that you had to do. If you messed up at one part, forget about redoing it because if you did, you wouldn't have time to do other problems later on. Kind of became like a "one shot attempt" at all the questions. I found myself guessing at quite a few of the calculations for that very reason. I felt like i had to rush through every passage and take my best guess and move on. Not much time to rationalize things. I agree with a lot of people about the repetition in testing. I was a victim of that in the bad way. Stupid Carbonate. Oh, I also hated the acid/base passage. Had no idea what it was talking about.

Verbal Reasoning was alright for the parts I could understand. It's always a matter of luck with this section for me. The tail end of the section was killer. First couple passages were interesting and simple, but it slowly got harder and harder. When i got done reading the Renaissance passage i took a few moments to convince myself that i could actually read. That passage made NO SENSE! It kind of killed me so i had to guess on that passage and the last passage as a result of lack of time. Not a good feeling. I basically saw a trend of more and more guessing happening as the section progressed.

Biological sciences felt rather crazy too. Yeah there were simple questions, but some were just ridiculous. Some of the genetics passages really squeezed the life out of my brain. I agree with someone who stated previously that some of those questions although were tied in with the passage, outside knowledge was the BEST way to save time and move on. I cant imagine someone going in cold turkey to those topics and using the passage information to get the right answer all within a reasonable amount of time. Maybe it's just me but even the one organic passage we had, i found it rather tricky. Not as much guessing as i had to do for PS and VR, but still found myself at some questions wondering if i was supposed to memorize my biology books in order to prepare for this exam.

Overall feeling for this exam: ****ty. Very unsure of many of my answers-Lot's of guessing. Hopeful that I put the right answers. Completely confused what to expect.

PS: I agree with the idea about a poll. That way, even if people don't want to post, they can at least vote and give a small representation of how the exam was and how things look.

Hey guys, I also needed to take a few days away from SDN after the 7/10 exam. I came out of the test feeling pretty confident but after I started rummaging through questions in my head, I realized I really effed up the PS section. I think PS was overall was MUCH more content specific than any practice AAMCs I've taken. (same for the BS section) It was as if you studied it, you would get it right easily, otherwise you wouldn't.

On that note, how does a sub-10 score in PS look, assuming the other sections are decent?

1 week post-MCAT...they really should do away with the writing sample. The wait is ridiculous due to having to grade those stupid things.

1 week post-MCAT...they really should do away with the writing sample. The wait is ridiculous due to having to grade those stupid things.

+1

I find myself coming back to this forum to see if anything dramatic has happened...:sleep:

3 more weeks....

How many of you have registered for another test date, just in case? I already submitted my AMCAS and a bit confused about what happens with the schools I already added if I update the AMCAS with another test date. Does any one know?

If you update your application with the new test date, AMCAS lets schools know that you're re-taking it. The school will wait until they receive the new score.

The more time goes by...the more I'm dreading score release day.... anybody have any motivating "I got a good score and felt like I did horribly!" stories they'd like to share?

7/10 people.. I'm going to make that poll in a seperate thread that I talked about before... Check for it.

is the scoring curve on the e-mcat site indicative of the real test? the PS was hard so i was wondering if the curve will be more generous. on examkrackers practice test you could miss 17 and still get a 10. our PS seemed a lot harder than this. it also seemed harder than the AAMC tests as well.