7 on 7 off differential in Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scottdonna99

Reaction score
Happy New year fellow Pharmacist! Is anyone currently working a hospital evening shift 7 on 7 off schedule? I just got hired for this position and I wasn't sure how the last 2 days are compensated in Florida. Most hospitals in California compensate the last 2 days as overtime so you work 70 hours but get paid for 80. I was wondering if it's the same here in Florida hospitals.

Also, for those that are currently working this position can you share some of the pros and cons? How long have you been doing this schedule and is it working out for you and family? Is it easily to switch back to day shift? Any thoughts and experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My hospital's in Georgia, but I work 7 on 7 off evening. We work 70 hours but are paid 80 hours.

It depends what hours you work and your own personal clock. I work from noon to 10:30pm and I normally wake at 9, so it's very easy to switch back to a normal waking hours. I recommend black out curtains to ensure you stay asleep rather than waking up earlier than intended.

Reactions: 1 users
Happy New year fellow Pharmacist! Is anyone currently working a hospital evening shift 7 on 7 off schedule? I just got hired for this position and I wasn't sure how the last 2 days are compensated in Florida. Most hospitals in California compensate the last 2 days as overtime so you work 70 hours but get paid for 80. I was wondering if it's the same here in Florida hospitals.

Also, for those that are currently working this position can you share some of the pros and cons? How long have you been doing this schedule and is it working out for you and family? Is it easily to switch back to day shift? Any thoughts and experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Most states you are considered salary - so the exact schedule doesn't matter - you don't get overtime (you don't punch a clock - I assume Florida is like that - California is an outlier when it comes to workers rights).
I work 7 on 7 off - start Monday night - work 70 get paid for 80 + about 15k a year shift differential.
When transiting on - I get up my normal time monday am (7am) because of having a child. I try to take a nap in the afternoon - I am lucky if I get an hour an a half of real sleep. So basically when I get off Tuesday AM - I have been up for basically 24 hours. Not that big of a deal - I run on caffeine and anger - lol. On my week off, when I get off, I sleep until 12 or 1 - get up, struggle the rest of the day, and go to bed Monday night (usually fall asleep around 9) and then back to living as a normal person for a week

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies guys! I greatly appreciate it. I don't believe we are salaried employees since I was given a hourly rate. The shift is from 12:30 to 11pm 7 on, then 7 off. Since I've never worked as a pharmacist in FL (only CA), I wasn't sure if the last 2 days are considered overtime hence the work 70 hours get paid for 80 hours. I remember this was a HUGE incentive for the night guys to complete the entire 7 days since if they miss any of the days they won't get the last 2 days as overtime. LOL. I was there for 11 years and despite everyone including myself getting sick the night guys have NEVER missed a day. They would literally come in with oxygen tasks if needed or part way hooked up to a ventilator!!!

Let me put it this way... do you guys know anyone that works a 7 on 7 off shift that only gets paid for 70 hours? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the replies guys! I greatly appreciate it. I don't believe we are salaried employees since I was given a hourly rate. The shift is from 12:30 to 11pm 7 on, then 7 off. Since I've never worked as a pharmacist in FL (only CA), I wasn't sure if the last 2 days are considered overtime hence the work 70 hours get paid for 80 hours. I remember this was a HUGE incentive for the night guys to complete the entire 7 days since if they miss any of the days they won't get the last 2 days as overtime. LOL. I was there for 11 years and despite everyone including myself getting sick the night guys have NEVER missed a day. They would literally come in with oxygen tasks if needed or part way hooked up to a ventilator!!!

Let me put it this way... do you guys know anyone that works a 7 on 7 off shift that only gets paid for 70 hours? Thanks in advance.

I know a night shift pharmacist that works night shift at a nearby hospital that gets paid for only 70 hours. However, he's scheduled in a way that 1 or 2 days ends up being "overtime", similar to your anecdote.

The difference between the two is that when I work extra hours, I'm still at the 80 hr pay for 70 hrs worked payrate, while he isn't.

But no, I do not know of anyone that's 7 on 7 off that only gets paid 70 hours base rate.

yes becoming more common with the rph surplus- even thou they are quoting you per hour - it doesn't mean you are not exempt - definitely need to ask - 95% of full time rph's I know are salary - NOT hourly

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
I know a night shift pharmacist that works night shift at a nearby hospital that gets paid for only 70 hours. However, he's scheduled in a way that 1 or 2 days ends up being "overtime", similar to your anecdote.

The difference between the two is that when I work extra hours, I'm still at the 80 hr pay for 70 hrs worked payrate, while he isn't.

But no, I do not know of anyone that's 7 on 7 off that only gets paid 70 hours base rate.
really stupid question... then are you considered salaried? what if they call you to help cover shifts during your 7 days off? Would you not get paid for that? the only truly salaried pharmacist positions that I know of in FL is the pharmacy director and the clinical coordinator... other than them I thought everyone was based on hourly.

really stupid question... then are you considered salaried? what if they call you to help cover shifts during your 7 days off? Would you not get paid for that? the only truly salaried pharmacist positions that I know of in FL is the pharmacy director and the clinical coordinator... other than them I thought everyone was based on hourly.
In this case they sound hourly, NOT salaried

But it gets a little messy - most rph's at my place are what is called non-exempt salaried.
This means we do NOT punch a clock. If we stay an extra 30 minutes, we do NOT get paid for that - conversely, if we go home 30 minutes early, the pay is NOT deducted from our check (like it would be for techs in both instances).
If we pick up an extra shift, we get paid base pay for it (not overtime pay).
Every one of our non-mgmt rph's falls into this category.
The mgmt are straight up salaried - even if they come in for an extra shift to cover for some reason - they do NOT get paid extra

I'm hourly; I clock in and out. To clarify what I said before, if I'm called to help cover an extra shift, I get paid at an increased rate.

Basically, by working 70 hrs but being paid 80, I'm being paid 115% (80 divided by 70=15% extra pay) of my base rate. If I work an extra shift, I'm still being paid 115% rather than just 100%. I'm also eligible for overtime (150%) if I worked more than 40 hours for that work week.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I'm hourly; I clock in and out. To clarify what I said before, if I'm called to help cover an extra shift, I get paid at an increased rate.

Basically, by working 70 hrs but being paid 80, I'm being paid 115% of my base rate. If I work an extra shift, I'm still being paid 115% rather than just 100%. I'm also eligible for overtime (150%) if I worked more than 40 hours for that work week.
what state are you in? California is the only state I know rph's in that ever get paid time and a half

dang - I have the wrong job them - haha

do you get shift differential on top of that?

Yeah. evening is ~3 and nights are ~9.

Edit: I know our overtime isn't a state mandated thing, because retail doesn't pay overtime here. Also, I was told a nearby hospital gets around paying overtime by classifying extra hours as a different job class or something.

Last edited:
Yeah. evening is ~3 and nights are ~9.

Edit: I know our overtime isn't a state mandated thing, because retail doesn't pay overtime here. Also, I was told a nearby hospital gets around paying overtime by classifying extra hours as a different job class or something.
Yeah... that's a really sweet set up. It's just like the night guys at my old employer back in CA but instead of a flat rate, it was a percentage of base (20% differential for night shift on top of last 2 days counted as OT)... yeah that's why our night guys were laughing all the way to the bank even with their oxygen tasks intact!!!!!!

sigh... good bye to the good old days... I guess I'll find out more once I start this new job, but something tells me I'll only get paid for 70 hours.

The VA makes you work 80 hours every two weeks with 10% shift differential. Most places I have seen have their third shift pharmacists work 5 days at 12 hours, 2 days at 10 hours.

The VA makes you work 80 hours every two weeks with 10% shift differential. Most places I have seen have their third shift pharmacists work 5 days at 12 hours, 2 days at 10 hours.
this is a little what I am afraid of - I have been offered two other night shift jobs in the past few years. One was 7 x 10 - only get paid for 70, I told them I couldn't take a 12% pay cut (on top of reduced differential) - they said I could do 7 x 11. The other you worked 7 x 10, then an extra 10 hour day sift in the middle of your week off - again, with a lower differential than my current place Again - no thanks - that is an extra 260 hours a year for less money. I will ride my current cash cow until it dies.

this is a little what I am afraid of - I have been offered two other night shift jobs in the past few years. One was 7 x 10 - only get paid for 70, I told them I couldn't take a 12% pay cut (on top of reduced differential) - they said I could do 7 x 11. The other you worked 7 x 10, then an extra 10 hour day sift in the middle of your week off - again, with a lower differential than my current place Again - no thanks - that is an extra 260 hours a year for less money. I will ride my current cash cow until it dies.

The only real boon of federal employment as it pertains to differential is when working weekends and holidays. Holiday pay is 2x pay, weekend nights are +35% hourly rate.

I do in fact know people who only get 70 hours + differential (7 x 10 hr shifts). It's not the norm in this region, though.

The only advice you need is to ASK YOUR EMPLOYER (/HR). It shouldn't be scary to ask how you're going to be paid. That's literally the point of working for them.

Basically, by working 70 hrs but being paid 80, I'm being paid 115% (80 divided by 70=15% extra pay) of my base rate. If I work an extra shift, I'm still being paid 115% rather than just 100%. I'm also eligible for overtime (150%) if I worked more than 40 hours for that work week.

Don't ever leave this job.

My hospital's in Georgia, but I work 7 on 7 off evening. We work 70 hours but are paid 80 hours.

It depends what hours you work and your own personal clock. I work from noon to 10:30pm and I normally wake at 9, so it's very easy to switch back to a normal waking hours. I recommend black out curtains to ensure you stay asleep rather than waking up earlier than intended.
Hospital Pharmacist working in Georgia for last 33 years
OKAY, 7 on 7 off WAS Mon-Sun with Fri and Sat in OVERTIME and Sun fell in the next week
THEN employers got smart, the week was now Wed to Tues WITH no overtime since spread over two weeks
THEN employers got SMARTER; legislation was passed that MD, RN, and R.Ph. were NOT entitled to overtime.
Don't know about any other states.

• Wow