Work/employment Dilemma - for all the experts on this board -UPDATE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RXDOC1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have read my posts, I am the senior citizen Pharm.D, with all the bad advise, you know that I work in a major regional hospital, 7on - 7off. Overnights. The pay is great, management is tolerable (you never see them). Good co-workers, been here for over 3 years.
Now I have been offered the Director of Pharmacy position, at a Rehab Hospital Chain, where I have worked, part-time, for the last 3 years. This would be for a brand new location, going up now. It would be up and running in June 2024.
They want the management team in-place by February 2024. I would have to get all the permits, licenses, and address all regulatory duty. Hire all the staff.
These are all things I have done before, and comfortable with. I will be stepping back into all the BS that is management.
The positives:
Mon-Fri, no nights, weekends or holidays.
More prestige, to end my career with.
More autonomy and responsibility. No "team leader" telling me what to do.
Close to home
The negatives:
NOT any more pay, than what I have now.
Salaried position
All the BS that is management.
No more 26 weeks off every year.

What do you guys think.
They want an answer in 1 week.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If I was at the middle of my career, I’d take it. I don’t know that I’d want to end my career with that. It does sound cool! Good job on getting it!

In for answers.

If you're actually thinking about retiring, go ahead and take it. You will be burned out in two years. If you want to keep working longer than that, stay where you are.

PS: I'd go with option 3. Retire now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been working 7 on 7 off overnight for the last 3 years. I wouldn’t trade it for anything to be honest. I love having every other week off to do what I want and spend time with my wife and kids. I’d say if you feel the burnout from the overnight schedule, make the switch. Personally, the prestige of a position would never sway my decision one way or another.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they just approach you and offer you the job ? Or did you apply, interview, and convince them that you were the best candidate for the job ? If it is the later then I dont see any dilemma here.

If you're actually thinking about retiring, go ahead and take it. You will be burned out in two years. If you want to keep working longer than that, stay where you are.

PS: I'd go with option 3. Retire now.
You are absolutely on the right track. I really don't worry about burn out-ing, I have been doing this type work for over 39 yrs, 8 different jobs. I have always enjoyed what I do, and I am good at it. Not much out there, I haven't seen, so my stress level is always low. My retirement date is, next time when I can't (or don't want to) get out of bed in the morning. That could be in 2 days or 2 years, maybe 5 yrs. I have more than enough money to retire now. But what the hell would I do for the next 10-20 years?
Maybe a Walmart Greeter? Here is a buggy for you young fella!
Plus my wife doesn't want me at home 24/7, not just yet.
I am still active, my mind is still (somewhat) coherent. I have purposely avoided management for the last 30 years. My current job is mostly tech-level activities, which I don't mind, as long as I am paid well.
The one thing I didn't mention, is this, night shift is wearing me down, I get 4-5 hours per day. I have been to a pulmonologist/ sleep doctor. I have to take Modafinil to stay alert at night and safely drive home in the morning. And then Ambien CR to get some sleep (only on my 7 days on) It's just not good for your health. I could handle it better when I was younger.

I’ve been working 7 on 7 off overnight for the last 3 years. I wouldn’t trade it for anything to be honest. I love having every other week off to do what I want and spend time with my wife and kids. I’d say if you feel the burnout from the overnight schedule, make the switch. Personally, the prestige of a position would never sway my decision one way or another.
Thank you for that. I traded a really good 9-5 (well, 5am-2pm) job at an Oncology practice/clinic for Hospital 7/on 7/off, back in 2001. Been doing 7/7 (days, then nights) for 22 years. I do appreciate all the benefits of 26 weeks off. But, I am typing away, now at work, on Thanksgiving. On this schedule I get to work on Memorial Day, 4 th July, Labor day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas! My family is out of town, enjoying Thanksgiving, while I work. And same on Christmas.
Plus, night shift will take a toll on you, sooner or later. You just can't mess with your circadian rhythm, with absolutely no consequences.

It was almost like that. This is a Joint Venture between my hospital and the rehab hospital, since I work for both, for the last 3 years, the regional pharmacy supervisor for the rehab hospital (they have 124 hospitals), talked to me. There is a huge advantage for them to bring me on board, as I know both systems, I know Epic and Cerner. I can work well with the hospital system, since I work there now, full-time.
I guess prestige, wasn't the correct word (since I am ESL) it's more job satisfaction, or recognition.

It sounds like you're robbing your health and family to avoid the BS of management. Only one can be reversed though...

Take the DOP job- hire 1-2 staff with the potential to take over for you in 3-5 years, then just stay on as the elder statesman pharmacist who works casually to get out of the house (every inpatient pharmacy has one)

It sounds like you're robbing your health and family to avoid the BS of management. Only one can be reversed though...

Take the DOP job- hire 1-2 staff with the potential to take over for you in 3-5 years, then just stay on as the elder statesman pharmacist who works casually to get out of the house (every inpatient pharmacy has one)
Best advice, yet! This is exactly what I envisioned. I can retire, now, but I would be leaving about $800K + of earnings on the table. Calculations is for 5 years of earnings.
This is what I should do.
Thanks

• Love
Best advice, yet! This is exactly what I envisioned. I can retire, now, but I would be leaving about $800K + of earnings on the table. Calculations is for 5 years of earnings.
This is what I should do.
Thanks
I think you should take the job and be the best boss that your employees ever dream of. I was fortunate enough to work for one. He took the job (general manager of an infusion site) to "ease into retirement ". He was like the grandpa for all of us. He was the hardest worker and his motto was simple "just take good care of our patients and let me deal with the corporate bullsh*t"

I think you should take the job and be the best boss that your employees ever dream of. I was fortunate enough to work for one. He took the job (general manager of an infusion site) to "ease into retirement ". He was like the grandpa for all of us. He was the hardest worker and his motto was simple "just take good care of our patients and let me deal with the corporate bullsh*t"
Honestly I could totally see @RXDOC1986 fit into that role. He gives off that vibe on the board. I’d love to just sit down and hear his stories if I’m honest.

Thank you. Your wisdom and knowledge is appreciated. I am taking the job. I know I can do it well, the only question was, do I want to?

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I could totally see @RXDOC1986 fit into that role. He gives off that vibe on the board. I’d love to just sit down and hear his stories if I’m honest.
You know the signage in car mirrors: "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear",

well my warning would have to be "my stories are much less interesting than they appear."

but thanks for that

• Haha
True Dat! The best boss I have ever had, was my very first boss, my mentor. He was DOP at a small hospital, he hired me as a pharmacy intern. He moved on to a large home infusion company, looked me up and hired me as a pharmacy intern. I went on to get my Pharm.D. and BCNSP.
I was working at VA, he called me and asked me to stop by. Later on, I did, wearing t-shirt and jeans. He said he had the owner and CEO of the company visiting and he was going to recommend me as his replacement (he was moving up). I had a short lunch/interview, got hired on the spot, no resume on hand.
I went from making $36K (about average pay for 1986) to $75K as Infusion Pharmacy manager. With no experience doing management. I was about 26-27.

As someone who works overnights retail, 7 on, 7 off…I personally feel like there is enough autonomy working overnights & dread the BS of management & daytime drama. I would choose overnights over management in a heart beat given equal pay (~200k) as overnights are less mentally stressful (less people, less problems) albeit more physically stressful

interested in what your decision will be; I’m still a “spring chicken” age-wise I believe in comparison to yourself so stamina with overnights is no issue for myself

Worked every variation of 7/7, to date at 3-4 different hospitals, over the last 25 years. I am done with overnights, moving to management and Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00, no nights, weekends, or holidays. Gave My Hospital a proper 6 weeks notice, (manager still tried to bully me into an extra 3 nights)! I am well passed being pushed around, told him I can make it a 2 week notice, if he likes, but no extension.

Reactions: 2 users
Worked every variation of 7/7, to date at 3-4 different hospitals, over the last 25 years. I am done with overnights, moving to management and Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00, no nights, weekends, or holidays. Gave My Hospital a proper 6 weeks notice, (manager still tried to bully me into an extra 3 nights)! I am well passed being pushed around, told him I can make it a 2 week notice, if he likes, but no extension.

Congrats on taking the job. I'm sure your body will thank you for it later. It'll be nice to have a director who has actually worked in staffing and night shift positions and understands where they're coming from. Nearly all the management at my place went straight into their positions from residency so there's often a disconnect.

I actually think I know the hospital you're going to; bit far from me compared to where I work now. Best of luck and I hope it goes smoothly.

Congrats on taking the job. I'm sure your body will thank you for it later. It'll be nice to have a director who has actually worked in staffing and night shift positions and understands where they're coming from. Nearly all the management at my place went straight into their positions from residency so there's often a disconnect.

I actually think I know the hospital you're going to; bit far from me compared to where I work now. Best of luck and I hope it goes smoothly.
Thank you! Although, I am not as big a hypocrite to say, I am going to be a good manager. I have done it before, the a-hole management thing, is so true. That was why I actively avoided management for 25 years.

And it's not a secret, I was proud to be staff pharmacist at Piedmont Health Care for 2 years. Now I am going to be Director of Pharmacy at Encompass Health Rehab Hospital - Atlanta. Starting February 2024
ERH has over 136 Hospitals in N. America. I will be involved with a "Joint Venture" Hospital with Piedmont/ERH.

Last edited:
  • Love
Hello Everyone - Just started my second week as DOP. We are working out of temp. spaces, while they finish the new hospital. Grand opening should be May, this year. We have already had to go in front of the Georgia Board of Pharmacy, once, to request an exception. Looks like we have to go in front of the Board, again. I am real busy with all procedural stuff, and hiring for all positions.
In this new age, hiring staff is not easy. HR is king of the hill, they tell you, what, when, and who you may speak to. I am able to give a motivated retail R.PH. a chance, since I can teach them everything they need to know. Looks like most of my time will be in meetings, on every committee, and QI.
Last Friday, I had my first TGIF moment, since way back in 2001.

• Love
what is the max pay you will offer for a middle aged experienced pharmacy without a residency, but who has worked in just about every service line at a large community hospital? asking for a friend...:)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
what is the max pay you will offer for a middle aged experienced pharmacy without a residency, but who has worked in just about every service line at a large community hospital? asking for a friend...:)
Hey Dred, I wouldn't be able to afford you!! I am not hiring "middle aged', or OLD pharmacist, anyway :eek::cool::eek:
Thanks for your interest, but we decided to go a different direction ( if I had a $1 for every time I heard that, I would have $25)

Update, I have hired a full staff. It was really tough, so many good candidates. On the tech side, really hard, I had some good ones that wouldn't take the pay cut! HR makes everything easy, and also, very difficult. They use their metrics to reject some applications, I don't even get to see.
And, once you like an applicant, they take care of everything. I don't even know what my staff is paid.

We have over 160 Hospitals in the US, 6 in Georgia, so drop your expectations, and keep applying:soexcited: