7 - Year BSMD vs [5 - year] AKU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSU/SKMC or AKU?

• 7 year BS/MD [PSU/SKMC]

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • 5 year AKU [Pakistan]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hkkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for a family member of mine.

Assuming they have a BSMD acceptance to a mid-tier 7 yr bs/md program [say, psu/skmc] and an acceptance from AKU [Aga Khan University] in Pakistan, which should they choose?

To allow you to make an informed decision and to prevent those saying IMGs are way worse than USMDs and won't match [which is generally true], I have attached AKUs match list (sorry, this is the most recent one I could find; I also could not locate USMLEs).

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• AKU_Match_List_2012.xlsx
    20.5 KB · Views: 87
This forum is for American pre medical students. We are not able to advise on international matters.

This forum is for American pre medical students. We are not able to advise on international matters.
This is related to American pre-med studies, but if this forum is not applicable, which one is [better]?
Sorry, I wasn't sure which forum to put this in.

Members don't see this ad :)
It you want to become a doctor in the US, you should go to a medical school in the US.

It you want to become a doctor in the US, you should go to a medical school in the US.
After reading the match list, right (not just a generalized statement made from [0.1% match] Carib experience)?

This is related to American pre-med studies, but if this forum is not applicable, which one is [better]?
Sorry, I wasn't sure which forum to put this in.
Misread the initial post about acceptance to Penn state. If the goal is to practice medicine in United States, the best way to do it would be to stay in the states. The list you listed does show some people matching into US programs but it is quite dated and does not show an overall percentage of who matched and who didnt. On average that number is not very high for img students. If you were to go to Penn state, however, the match rate goes up significantly to over 90%. So, I would suggest staying within United States especially if an option is present to attend a 7 year program which is quite competitive as is.

Reactions: 1 user
After reading the match list, right (not just a generalized statement made from [0.1% match] Carib experience)?
You are considered an IMG if you go to a medical school outside the United States, which is going to put you at a disadvantage regardless of the school. I agree with everything that @Princeton Medical Student said.

Misread the initial post about acceptance to Penn state. If the goal is to practice medicine in United States, the best way to do it would be to stay in the states. The list you listed does show some people matching into US programs but it is quite dated and does not show an overall percentage of who matched and who didnt. On average that number is not very high for img students. If you were to go to Penn state, however, the match rate goes up significantly to over 90%. So, I would suggest staying within United States especially if an option is present to attend a 7 year program which is quite competitive as is.
Sorry yeah, just to confirm, every member of each years' class match within 2 years [according to the website]. And how much could have really cahnved from 2012 until now - previous performance indicated future performance amirite/ track record of success.

You are considered an IMG if you go to a medical school outside the United States, which is going to put you at a disadvantage regardless of the school. I agree with everything that @Princeton Medical Student said.
I know you're and IMG... if you look at the match list it is that of a mid-tier USMD school so for an international school that's tops.

Sorry yeah, just to confirm, every member of each years' class match within 2 years [according to the website]. And how much could have really cahnved from 2012 until now - previous performance indicated future performance amirite/ track record of success.
5 years may not seem like a lot but much is likely to have changed.
  1. There are a lot more medical schools in US which makes it harder for IMGs to match. While in 2008 international might have been an ok option, today it is not. By the time of graduation in 2022 even more American medical schools would have opened making your match harder.
  2. The claims on the website could be inaccurate. The retention rate for the program may be low (it is academically difficult to study everything in 5 years)
  3. The program in United States will be safer overall in terms of getting a match for a fact.

5 years may not seem like a lot but much is likely to have changed.
  1. There are a lot more medical schools in US which makes it harder for IMGs to match. While in 2008 international might have been an ok option, today it is not. By the time of graduation in 2022 even more American medical schools would have opened making your match harder.
  2. The claims on the website could be inaccurate. The retention rate for the program may be low (it is academically difficult to study everything in 5 years)
  3. The program in United States will be safer overall in terms of getting a match for a fact.
To answer #2, they don't have any liberal arts education - its just straight science.