8/24 AMCAS Submission, Non-Trad, IA, 3.86 cGPA, 3.99 sGPA, 39 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZebAkers

Quack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted late, really late… like August 24th late. With AMCAS taking 6-8 weeks to verify right now I'm looking at a mid to late October verification, which won't allow much time to receive and submit secondaries by their Nov 15 deadline. Plus UAB (my dream school) does rolling admissions, so I feel like my chances are becoming slimmer and slimmer with each passing day. Considering my other stats (listed below), what are my chances of getting a secondary from/accepted to UAB?

Ethnicity and Sex: White male
State of Residence: Alabama
Schools Applied to: UAB and South Alabama
Major: Human Performance & Exercise Science
Minors: Biology, Nutrition, Spanish
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 39 (14/13/12) (August 16, 2013)
Clinical Volunteer Activities:
~20 hours taking part in community health screenings (February - August 2013)
Physician shadowing: (January – August 2013)
~37 hours Family Medicine
~11 hours Pediatrics
~33 hours in Hospital (time spent following residents on night-float, thus split between OB, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, ER, OR, Family Medicine, NICU)
Non-Physician shadowing: (August-November 2012)
~80 hours in Outpatient Orthopedic Physical Therapy clinic (thought I wanted to do PT)
Research: (since April 2013)
~200 hours spent in Exercise Physiology lab assisting with data collection
-Though not published yet, I will be listed as 3rd author in 2 studies that are in the process of being wrapped up (analyzing Aspirin's effects on human physiology)
-I am currently in the process of getting IRB approval for my own study (also analyzing Aspirin)
Nonclinical volunteer activities:
~5 hours STEM-themed Girl Scout Recruitment Event (Fall 2012)
~6 hours teaching amputees and disabled individuals how to water ski (August 2011)
~52 hours disaster relief in my community after F4 tornado (August – July 2011)
Employment:
-Marine Corps Infantry Rifleteam Leader, Active Duty 2006-2010, (2 deployments [Afghanistan and Marine Expeditionary Unit Mediterranean float])
-Served as Combat Life Saver in Marine Corps (secondary medic)
Extracurricular:
-Train and propagate bonsai trees (since Feb 2012)
-Waterski Show Team member (skier and boat-driver) and instructor (since April 2011)
-Exercise Physiology Club: Coordinator of "Exercise is Medicine" program (physicians of Student Medical Center write "prescriptions" for exercise to patients who could benefit from it, and our program provides them with free fitness training)
-Avid duck hunter
-Avid runner and strength trainer
Academic Recognition:
-Outstanding General Chemistry Student Award (awarded to 10 out of 1400 GenChem students)
-President's list (Dean's List with a 4.0) in all but 1 of my undergraduate semesters
-Spanish National Honor Society and Freshman National Honor Society
Red Flags on Application:
-Institutional Action in Fall 2010 (first semester as undergrad). Received a SNAM (Student NonAcademic Misconduct) violation for directing an obscene gesture at a campus police officer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you exceed UAB's expected stats

even being so late.. i think theyll take a look at you, considering that your MCAT alone would help bring up their average. just emphasize how badly you want UAB and how youd jump at the chance to go there?

besides that apply broad, with your stats you should get in somewhere, even with being so late

-also its a shame you didnt apply earlier and do early acceptance, i feel like they wouldve taken you in a heartbeat

you exceed UAB's expected stats

even being so late.. i think theyll take a look at you, considering that your MCAT alone would help bring up their average. just emphasize how badly you want UAB and how youd jump at the chance to go there?

besides that apply broad, with your stats you should get in somewhere, even with being so late

-also its a shame you didnt apply earlier and do early acceptance, i feel like they wouldve taken you in a heartbeat

They may not take too kindly to flipping off a police officer, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
They may not take too kindly to flipping off a police officer, though.

Lol can't believe he did that, and can't believe something so insignificant could affect all that hard work he did. That sucks!

Lol can't believe he did that, and can't believe something so insignificant could affect all that hard work he did. That sucks!

This degree of disrespect shows a lack of judgement that can only be explained by immaturity or impairment. Nobody is looking for this in a position of responsibility.

I'm sorry, I have to reply. Everyone has a freshman year. I also did my undergrad in Iowa. Having a good time when you're young and doing some things you regret is a part of becoming a mature individual. Half the things I wish I'd never of done my freshman year have made me a better human being. It is the things that we regret the most that make us think on the individuals we want to become. And frankly, I wouldn't want to be classmates with anyone lacking of the kind of personality that indicates they are unwilling to learn from their mistakes.

I'm sorry, I have to reply. Everyone has a freshman year. I also did my undergrad in Iowa. Having a good time when you're young and doing some things you regret is a part of becoming a mature individual. Half the things I wish I'd never of done my freshman year have made me a better human being. It is the things that we regret the most that make us think on the individuals we want to become. And frankly, I wouldn't want to be classmates with anyone lacking of the kind of personality that indicates they are unwilling to learn from their mistakes.
I also believe in redemption. If OP finds committees willing to take a chance on him, I hope he is aware of the opportunity he is being given. Nevertheless, there are consequences to very bad judgement in applications to medical school. Professionals are held to a higher standard of behavior. This is just a fact.

I had a good time freshman year but never did anything that got me in trouble. Dealing with the consequences of poor judgement is as much a part of life as learning from your mistakes.

One can become a mature individual without flipping off a police officer or anything of the sort.

Nonetheless, I do wish OP the best of luck in getting into UAB.

Four years active service in the Marine Corps including time as Rifleman Leader and a tour of duty in Afghanistan shows plenty of acceptance of responsibility and respect for authority. The transition from that to an academic-run campus would not be easy or instantaneous. Once that transition was made, the issue has not arisen again.

OP: good luck this year, but if it doesn't work, apply again next June and you shouldn't have any problems.

Four years active service in the Marine Corps including time as Rifleman Leader and a tour of duty in Afghanistan shows plenty of acceptance of responsibility and respect for authority. The transition from that to an academic-run campus would not be easy or instantaneous. Once that transition was made, the issue has not arisen again.

OP: good luck this year, but if it doesn't work, apply again next June and you shouldn't have any problems.
Hopefully, this will make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate every bit of it. The disrespect incident is something that I have regretted everyday since it happened, I didn't mean to make light by brushing over it. I am overwhelmingly ashamed by the immaturity I exhibited by pulling such an adolescent maneuver, and I won't make any excuses because there simply are none. I am thankful for what I learned from this incident, I just wish that I could have learned it in a less detrimental way. I sincerely hope that the rest of my application will in fact make a difference, because since that night I have flown true and worked my butt off to go to medical school. If the rest of my application doesn't make a big enough difference then I will just spend my time until June adding to it and reapply next year. Thanks again for the feedback, advice, and wishes for good luck. I wish the best of luck to all of you also applying this cycle.

I think you're golden for UAB and plenty of other schools, and your service to your country (for which I thank you, Semper Fi) will easily trump the IA. But just to make sure, you should demonstrate in PS and elsewhere that you do NOT have anger mgt issues.

So I submitted late, really late… like August 24th late. With AMCAS taking 6-8 weeks to verify right now I’m looking at a mid to late October verification, which won’t allow much time to receive and submit secondaries by their Nov 15 deadline. Plus UAB (my dream school) does rolling admissions, so I feel like my chances are becoming slimmer and slimmer with each passing day. Considering my other stats (listed below), what are my chances of getting a secondary from/accepted to UAB?

Ethnicity and Sex: White male
State of Residence: Alabama
Schools Applied to: UAB and South Alabama
Major: Human Performance & Exercise Science
Minors: Biology, Nutrition, Spanish
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 39 (14/13/12) (August 16, 2013)
Clinical Volunteer Activities:
~20 hours taking part in community health screenings (February - August 2013)
Physician shadowing: (January – August 2013)
~37 hours Family Medicine
~11 hours Pediatrics
~33 hours in Hospital (time spent following residents on night-float, thus split between OB, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, ER, OR, Family Medicine, NICU)
Non-Physician shadowing: (August-November 2012)
~80 hours in Outpatient Orthopedic Physical Therapy clinic (thought I wanted to do PT)
Research: (since April 2013)
~200 hours spent in Exercise Physiology lab assisting with data collection
-Though not published yet, I will be listed as 3rd author in 2 studies that are in the process of being wrapped up (analyzing Aspirin's effects on human physiology)
-I am currently in the process of getting IRB approval for my own study (also analyzing Aspirin)
Nonclinical volunteer activities:
~5 hours STEM-themed Girl Scout Recruitment Event (Fall 2012)
~6 hours teaching amputees and disabled individuals how to water ski (August 2011)
~52 hours disaster relief in my community after F4 tornado (August – July 2011)
Employment:
-Marine Corps Infantry Rifleteam Leader, Active Duty 2006-2010, (2 deployments [Afghanistan and Marine Expeditionary Unit Mediterranean float])
-Served as Combat Life Saver in Marine Corps (secondary medic)
Extracurricular:
-Train and propagate bonsai trees (since Feb 2012)
-Waterski Show Team member (skier and boat-driver) and instructor (since April 2011)
-Exercise Physiology Club: Coordinator of “Exercise is Medicine” program (physicians of Student Medical Center write “prescriptions” for exercise to patients who could benefit from it, and our program provides them with free fitness training)
-Avid duck hunter
-Avid runner and strength trainer
Academic Recognition:
-Outstanding General Chemistry Student Award (awarded to 10 out of 1400 GenChem students)
-President’s list (Dean’s List with a 4.0) in all but 1 of my undergraduate semesters
-Spanish National Honor Society and Freshman National Honor Society
Red Flags on Application:
-Institutional Action in Fall 2010 (first semester as undergrad). Received a SNAM (Student NonAcademic Misconduct) violation for directing an obscene gesture at a campus police officer