80hr rule change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beadle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to my endocrinologist today and while us two girls were discussing women in the medical profession, she brought up that the 80hr/wk rule was being pushed to get changed (for the better) and probably would be reformulated in the near future. Because of the procedure I was having done, we couldn't really talk that much so I didn't get in any questions that led to more information. But, she seemed serious and didn't seem to be talking about wishful thinking.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to my endocrinologist today and while us two girls were discussing women in the medical profession, she brought up that the 80hr/wk rule was being pushed to get changed (for the better) and probably would be reformulated in the near future. Because of the procedure I was having done, we couldn't really talk that much so I didn't get in any questions that led to more information. But, she seemed serious and didn't seem to be talking about wishful thinking.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

ROFL. The 80 hour change just happened a couple of years ago. Some places are still having difficulty getting into compliance with that big change, and a lot of the senior docs have seen an increase in their hours to account for fewer resident hours under the 80 hour rule, making them more hostile to the notion than they already were. Don't expect any change to this in any timeframe likely to help you. Sorry.

ROFL. The 80 hour change just happened a couple of years ago. Some places are still having difficulty getting into compliance with that big change, and a lot of the senior docs have seen an increase in their hours to account for fewer resident hours under the 80 hour rule, making them more hostile to the notion than they already were. Don't expect any change to this in any timeframe likely to help you. Sorry.

The OP could always move to the UK. I hear they have some f'ed up 56hr/wk thing going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP could always move to the UK. I hear they have some f'ed up 56hr/wk thing going on.

Yeah, and their phlebotomists don't work after 5pm. When I worked in hospitals as a phleb and went to England to interview, my friends were amazed I worked the evening shift. They basically said people can wait to have their blood drawn.

My friend who's graduating this year is lamenting the fact she has to "work so hard" next year -- then I told her about the 80 hour thing. She thought I was joking.

The UK has the goal of getting avg hours worked down to no more than 48/week.

NZ has an average of 56hrs/week for residents.

It does however, take forever for these people to specialize and in the UK for example it is entirely possible to get stuck as a junior medical officer for years before finally getting in to specialty training.

It's not just the UK, it's an EU-wide thing to do with workplace safety. For more:
http://ask.metafilter.com/53058/Is-there-a-doctor-in-the-house#801251
Ideally, [EU resident hours] are currently 58 hours per week max, and no more than 11 hours per day. One effect of implementing the new short hours (decreasing to 48 hours in 2009-20012) is a committment to a proportionate expansion in matriculating doctors.

It does however, take forever for these people to specialize and in the UK for example it is entirely possible to get stuck as a junior medical officer for years before finally getting in to specialty training.

Ah, no wonder EM residency takes five years in England.

Sad.

I also heard they were going to start paying residents 100k a year and that there were massive peace rallies in Iraq, and that GWB was a national merit scholar!

The changes in NZ were largely the result of a residents union which was willing (and indeed did) go on strike. This was great for the residents but unfortunate for the attendings who now work more hours on average than residents, have extended call, etc.

I also heard they were going to start paying residents 100k a year and that there were massive peace rallies in Iraq, and that GWB was a national merit scholar!

:lol:

Actually I have heard talk about the 80hrs being reduced even further as well. I don't know if it will happen in the near future but it certainly is a possibility. With the research that is being done and the attempt to reduce things like physician burnout, alcoholism, as well as physician errors in patient care the requirements are only going to get stricter (ie, better for residents.) Some programs (esp surgery) have a difficult time with the new requirements, but often it is the additional requirements like how much time off btwn shifts, post-call, etc that programs have the most trouble adapting to rather than the total weekly hours. On the flip side, many programs are well under that 80 hour a week max...several averaging more like 60.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I have heard talk about the 80hrs being reduced even further as well. I don't know if it will happen in the near future but it certainly is a possibility.

And where are the replacements for those resident hours going to come from? I don't necessarily love it or anything, but the fact is that US training times are shorter than almost anywhere else in the world because we work more. I don't want to be a "junior house officer" for 10 years making diddly-poo while I wait for an attending slot in surgery to open up like in the UK.

Besides, the attendings know how f-ed they are if resident work hours get cut down even more so they're pushing out lots of literature that emphasizes the massive dangers of *gasp* sign-out to muddle the situation. I strongly doubt there will be changes to the 80 hour work week any time soon.

Actually I have heard talk about the 80hrs being reduced even further as well. I don't know if it will happen in the near future but it certainly is a possibility.

Your sig says MSI. Who told you this?

Actually I have heard talk about the 80hrs being reduced even further as well.

It's nice to dream. This is simply not the buzz in the industry. Most of the powers that be are still licking their wounds from the last change -- another won't happen in the near term. The staffing has to come from someplace and if the residents don't do it, the attendings must. And attendings have more clout than residents. There are at least as many folks trying to figure out how to milk a few more hours out of the 80 hour requirement.

There had been research out there for many decades before the 80 hour cap change, indicating that sleep deprived people made more mistakes, got in more accidents, etc. but it took a media-intensive lawsuit by an outspoken journalist (the Libby Zion case) and a swell of public opinion to get this first change to happen. Unless that happens again in a bigger way (i.e. unless lightening strikes twice), expect the changes to be done for the next few decades.

I think the 80 hours is here to stay and won't change. It was a huge effort to get that done (I think we actually had to let ACGME sacrifice a few interns into a flaming volcano) . I think the next huge battle to fight for... in my opinion is salary. The residents salaries have always been poor but lately they really have stagnated when compared to many decades ago. The money that pays for the residencies is paid to the hospitals through the Medicare system. I think that there could be a significant adjustment to reflect more of the worth of these people. I am not talking about anything crazy but maybe more into the 60's range for PGY1s. This will also help by allowing some to make small dents in their loans instead of waiting another 5 years. I mean at least pay them more than a nurse if they are going to have to take the added risk and liability of being an MD.

I think the next huge battle to fight for... in my opinion is salary. The residents salaries have always been poor but lately they really have stagnated when compared to many decades ago. The money that pays for the residencies is paid to the hospitals through the Medicare system. I think that there could be a significant adjustment to reflect more of the worth of these people. I am not talking about anything crazy but maybe more into the 60's range for PGY1s. This will also help by allowing some to make small dents in their loans instead of waiting another 5 years. I mean at least pay them more than a nurse if they are going to have to take the added risk and liability of being an MD.

You guys sure love to dream around here. No major change in residency salary will happen in time to help you. Med schools are increasing enrollment by about 10% and there has yet to be any increase in number of funded residencies. So to the extent more money goes to residents over the next handful of years, it's going to be to fund a few more residency slots, not prop up the salaries of the existing residents. The people who fund residencies are not particularly interested in how quickly you can pay down your loans, and taking the position that doctors have it too rough isn't legislatively savvy in terms of getting reelected. Also an increase of salary from $40k to $60k is an absurdly large jump and would never happen all at once. Try to get it to go from eg $40k to $45k and maybe you won't get laughed out of town..

You guys sure love to dream around here. No major change in residency salary will happen in time to help you. Med schools are increasing enrollment by about 10% and there has yet to be any increase in number of funded residencies. So to the extent more money goes to residents over the next handful of years, it's going to be to fund a few more residency slots, not prop up the salaries of the existing residents. The people who fund residencies are not particularly interested in how quickly you can pay down your loans, and taking the position that doctors have it too rough isn't legislatively savvy in terms of getting reelected. Also an increase of salary from $40k to $60k is an absurdly large jump and would never happen all at once. Try to get it to go from eg $40k to $45k and maybe you won't get laughed out of town..

You're so on the money.

You want to make 60k+ a year? Join the military. Of course, that has its own issues . . .

I think the 80 hours is here to stay and won't change. It was a huge effort to get that done (I think we actually had to let ACGME sacrifice a few interns into a flaming volcano) .

I think those residents came from King/Drew.

So I heard that the 80hr/wk is just an average per month, not sure if it's true. But i'd be fine with them keeping the 80 hours, as long as it is by week. As I understand it now, if you have one week where you only work 50, they can work you 90 the next three, or two easy weeks and two 100+hr weeks, etc

And where are the replacements for those resident hours going to come from?
<gasp> The hospital could PAY people to come in! What a novel concept.

I don't think hours will be cut (maybe they shouldn't be either, I don't know), but they SHOULD pay residents more. As it stands, the hospital is getting federal money for you and charging for your labor as well. Talk about a win-win situation. That's like the prostitute paying you for sex.

So I heard that the 80hr/wk is just an average per month, not sure if it's true. But i'd be fine with them keeping the 80 hours, as long as it is by week. As I understand it now, if you have one week where you only work 50, they can work you 90 the next three, or two easy weeks and two 100+hr weeks, etc
This is an old and well established concept. Perhaps the search tool could be easier.

You also need 1 day off every 7, averaged, so they could give you a 4 day weekend, but most places don't.

My understanding of the averaging thing is that it accounts for emergent situations, rather than being a tool to compensate for occassional "light" weeks. From a practical standpoint, it would be extremely difficult for a program to look at everyone's hours for a week, then readjust their schedule the following week to increase their load. Call schedules are made well in advance, clinics are set, elective OR cases are scheduled. I don't think programs are particularly interested in creating more work for residents than they already have.

My understanding of the averaging thing is that it accounts for emergent situations, rather than being a tool to compensate for occassional "light" weeks. From a practical standpoint, it would be extremely difficult for a program to look at everyone's hours for a week, then readjust their schedule the following week to increase their load. Call schedules are made well in advance, clinics are set, elective OR cases are scheduled. I don't think programs are particularly interested in creating more work for residents than they already have.

I do agree I don't think programs are looking to creat more work. I was going to add that many programs at our hospital do track the hours each week and adjust accordingly. In fact residents that do not have their work hours submitted to the office for the previous week are barred from scrubbing in on cases until they are in. For the most part however, most have gotten used to the work-hour rule and now can predict mostly how they need to set things up for it to work.

Not trying to imply that I disagree with your premise just saying what some of our programs do.

I was going to add that many programs at our hospital do track the hours each week and adjust accordingly. In fact residents that do not have their work hours submitted to the office for the previous week are barred from scrubbing in on cases until they are in.

Well, yeah, of course to keep in compliance they will pull you off cases and toss you off the wards. My point was only that I doubt they would look at a light week and say, "Oh good! Now we tack on extra hours next week!" and invent things for you to do. That was the way I read the earlier post I was responding to.

"I don't want to be a "junior house officer" for 10 years making diddly-poo while I wait for an attending slot in surgery to open up like in the UK."

Me neither...

ONe of the changes I heard is that other specialties, like surg, will begin to adopt the shift-work of the emergency medicine residencies. A lot of IM programs are also changing to night-float to stay within work hour regulations.

A lot of the IM programs that I applied to and interviewed at tried the night float system for a year or two, and then went back to traditional call. Shift work doesn't work as well for IM and surgery as it does for EM, anesthesia, radiology, etc. First of all, when you do night float, you are strictly there to work. You don't get any of the didactics and teaching of the rotation. Depending on how the particular night float system works, you may not do any rounding, and therefore won't get any feedback on your management. In surgery, you will get very little OR time during your night call month. Also, with most night float systems, there is stil an "on call" team that stays until approx 9-10pm. If you stay until 10pm, you can't come back to work until at least 8am the next morning, by ACGME rules. That is pretty much impossible to do, and that is the main reason why a lot of night float systems switched back to call. Some programs have found ways to make the night float system work well. My program has found a way for the traditional call system to work within the ACGME guidelines. On post call days, I always get out some time between 10am and noon. My average work hours for a week during an inpatient call month are 65-70 hours.

ONe of the changes I heard is that other specialties, like surg, will begin to adopt the shift-work of the emergency medicine residencies. A lot of IM programs are also changing to night-float to stay within work hour regulations.

The physicians (not residents) I worked with in NZ in a rehab center had the same hours I did (speech therapy). In at 8am, staff meeting 8-9am, rounds 9-10am (there were about 20 beds split between 2 physicians), morning tea 10-10:30am, individual appointments 10:30-12, lunch 12-1, more appointments 1-2, 2-2:30 afternoon tea, 2:30-4:30 appointments, admissions, discharges, paperwork. 5 weeks personal vacation a year.

Awesome schedule but pay not as good as the USA.

the vast majority of surgical subspecialties are way in excess of the 88-hr rule. decreasing it even further just makes cooking the books harder.

the sub-I's who rotate in nsurg over at other philly-area hospitals put in OVER 120 hrs a week! they still consistently break triple digits. ive seen similar stats for ortho. dont believe what the "official agencies" report because it's doctored. talk to the real people and theyll tell you whats up.

if youre in medicine not to work a lot get real and get the hell out. the average working man bitches about a full workweek of forty hours a week. the average dermatologist works 41 or 42 hrs a week and that's considered way lax on the medical scale.

and in terms of resident salaries, yeah right. maybe some fellowships will hit 55 to 60 but residents are there to learn on the job, and you've got no bargaining power. it sucks and i dont look forward to it, but its a reality we have to accept.

Is there anyone else who read this thread title and thought that the limit was being pushed higher? That was my initial thought. I suppose we can dream....

I don't know about you guys, but I don't see residency as a ticket to be punched on my way to making six figures. It's about learning to be the best physician you can be, and that means spending as much time as possible in the hospital. I've seen many a resident be yanked from the OR during awesome procedures (cases usually start 8-9am, so you would be right in the thick of the more elaborate ones) because the clock struck noon and they had to leave.

I had a glimmer of hope that this was changing. :(

the vast majority of surgical subspecialties are way in excess of the 88-hr rule. decreasing it even further just makes cooking the books harder.

the sub-I's who rotate in nsurg over at other philly-area hospitals put in OVER 120 hrs a week! they still consistently break triple digits. ive seen similar stats for ortho. dont believe what the "official agencies" report because it's doctored. talk to the real people and theyll tell you whats up.

if youre in medicine not to work a lot get real and get the hell out. the average working man bitches about a full workweek of forty hours a week. the average dermatologist works 41 or 42 hrs a week and that's considered way lax on the medical scale.

and in terms of resident salaries, yeah right. maybe some fellowships will hit 55 to 60 but residents are there to learn on the job, and you've got no bargaining power. it sucks and i dont look forward to it, but its a reality we have to accept.

:thumbup:

At CNMC the peds residents make over 50K starting pay because they have a strong union. They are also the most miserable residents I have ever encountered. I don't *think* the two are connected...

It's the "Poop Hotdog" Syndrome. As long as there is a steady flood of pre-meds willing to eat a poop hotdog or sell their grandmothers organs for admission it will always be the ultimate buyer's market for residency programs, especially in competititive specialties and I have no doubt that many medical students would pay for the awesome privilege of being a resident if it came down to it.

Looks like all of the hours might cut into my moonlighting time.

Is there anyone else who read this thread title and thought that the limit was being pushed higher? That was my initial thought. I suppose we can dream....

I don't know about you guys, but I don't see residency as a ticket to be punched on my way to making six figures. It's about learning to be the best physician you can be, and that means spending as much time as possible in the hospital. I've seen many a resident be yanked from the OR during awesome procedures (cases usually start 8-9am, so you would be right in the thick of the more elaborate ones) because the clock struck noon and they had to leave.

I had a glimmer of hope that this was changing. :(
You suppose you can DREAM to spend more than 80 hours a week in the hospital? No offense, but have you ever even worked 80 hours in a week? The most I've ever worked is 85 hours each week for three weeks, and let me tell you, your non-work life comes to a screeching halt. I don't see residency as a punch ticket either, but the current system isn't exactly designed with your learning as the only goal. The old school docs who talk about how they used to spend the night at the hospital all week were probably asleep! Their patient load didn't change over the course of a week because people weren't admitted and discharged at the absolute breakneck pace that they are now.

It's not like the residents are all gathered around the attending under the shade tree, absorbing his vast and useful knowledge of the art and craft of medicine. They're calling up this nursing home and that clinic, trying to get his records from this chest x-ray or that CT scan. I never realized what a PITA an admission or discharge is until my wife started telling me how she'll spend close to an hour getting everything together to discharge one patient. That's not patient care, that's paper work.

I have actually never ran into a resident who consistently pulled 80 hours a week. In fact unless they were on weekend call even the surgery residents I met pull around 60-65 hours a week of official work. Only people I have met who consistently pulled 80 hours were interns.

Medical students are a different story. Last week of Trauma surgery I did 95+ hours, with two nights of call and no days off.

Something I think a lot of pre-meds and med students, along with maybe residents who have never had any other "real" job, don't understand is that in the past it was never "about" the hours. That is, attendings and program directors weren't pushing residents to work 90, 100, 120, or however many hours per week, and thus are dissatisifed now that residents are limited to 80. The older docs will say that it was just about getting your work done. You arrived at the hospital early in the morning, did whatever you were supposed to do all day, stayed at the hospital for overnight call, did whatever you were supposed to do the next day, then went home when your work was done. Rinse and repeat. Nobody was thinking about whether you did or did not work X number of hours.

And what I think a lot of people don't understand is that many jobs, especially higher professions, aren't (or at least traditionally aren't) hours-based work. Medicine, law, corporate management, heck, even lower-level white collar jobs like accounting and computer programming, if you're working as a salaried employee rather than a contractor, are not wage jobs. It's not like being a welder or a union plumber where you sign a contract agreeing to work for $X per hour, punch a time card when you show up, punch a time card when you leave, and collect your paycheck. Instead, you agree to work for a salary of $X per pay period (usually a month or 2 weeks) and your job is to get the work assigned to you done, or, if you're an independent professional like a lawyer or a doctor, you decide (at least theoretically) how much you will charge for your services and how much time you will spend working.

That's really why the old-school docs hate the 80 hours restriction--not for the specific number of hours, but for the approach to the profession in general, the way of thinking about what it means to be a doctor, inculcates. If you listen to them, they complain a lot about younger med school grads considering medicine "shift-based work" and having an "employee mentality." Medicine was supposed to be about being an absolute top-level expert at diagnosing and treating disease, about doing whatever it takes to get a patient cured or healed or whatever. And it was that that gave medicine the clout, the power, the prestige (including the ability to demand high incomes) that it had.

Yes, it's true that there were probably some changes that needed to be made--as some point out, when these older docs went through the process there just wasn't as much that could be done for patients, and average hospital stays were much longer, so you actually got some sleep while on call. What these older docs perceive, however, is that when instead of being independent professionals who are ready to take full responsibility and assume leadership, doctors exhibit a "that's not my job" attitude or can wash their hands of everything medical the minute they reach a certain limit of hours and clock out, the power, prestige, and influence of the medical profession is reduced. And I think they're right about that. IMO, anyone who is so concerned with clocking out has no right to complain about NPs and PAs encroaching on doctors' turf, not to mention decline in doctors' incomes.

And what I think a lot of people don't understand is that many jobs, especially higher professions, aren't (or at least traditionally aren't) hours-based work. Medicine, law, corporate management, heck, even lower-level white collar jobs like accounting and computer programming, if you're working as a salaried employee rather than a contractor, are not wage jobs.

Sort of. A lot of business, law and accounting jobs evaluate their employees and have expectations based on billable hours or revenues generated. You are as good as the money you generate, and you generate money by billing clients by your time spent working. Thus while you are correct that eg law is a salary job, if you aren't billing over, eg, your 2500 hours/yr "requirement", you won't be taking any vacation, getting any bonus or staying long at the firm. (Usually on average you can bill about 2 hours for every three you are in the office.) So a lot of people who had real jobs in fact are coming from environments where it was expected that you logged a specific number of hours.

Looks like all of the hours might cut into my moonlighting time.
Bear in mind that many programs won't allow you to moonlight, or if they do, it counts towards your 80 hours, so your moonlighting time is very limited. That is, unless you're in the lab. There you can moonlight quite a bit.

You suppose you can DREAM to spend more than 80 hours a week in the hospital? No offense, but have you ever even worked 80 hours in a week? The most I've ever worked is 85 hours each week for three weeks, and let me tell you, your non-work life comes to a screeching halt. I don't see residency as a punch ticket either, but the current system isn't exactly designed with your learning as the only goal. The old school docs who talk about how they used to spend the night at the hospital all week were probably asleep! Their patient load didn't change over the course of a week because people weren't admitted and discharged at the absolute breakneck pace that they are now.

It's not like the residents are all gathered around the attending under the shade tree, absorbing his vast and useful knowledge of the art and craft of medicine. They're calling up this nursing home and that clinic, trying to get his records from this chest x-ray or that CT scan. I never realized what a PITA an admission or discharge is until my wife started telling me how she'll spend close to an hour getting everything together to discharge one patient. That's not patient care, that's paper work.
I have worked 80 hours in a week. I'm not exactly going into medicine for the lavish lifestyle it affords me outside of work.

It sounds like you need to be at a better hospital with better ancillary staff. Bear that in mind when selecting your residency.

I have actually never ran into a resident who consistently pulled 80 hours a week. In fact unless they were on weekend call even the surgery residents I met pull around 60-65 hours a week of official work. Only people I have met who consistently pulled 80 hours were interns.

Medical students are a different story. Last week of Trauma surgery I did 95+ hours, with two nights of call and no days off.
Wow, I've never met a surgery resident who was under the 80 hours/week. Where is this?

Hey folks,

I hear that although most hospitals comply with the 80hr cap, residents are often given enough paper-work, etc (to be done outside the clinical setting) to rack them up hours closer to 100hrs.

But as someone said above, it is more about getting your work DONE than strictly putting in the hours. Perhaps that change in focus would make our years in residency not as "sucky".

:hardy:

I have no problem with the old school concept of working till its done. I do have a problem with being sleep deprived.
I also think if "working till its done" require more than 80 hours (outside of surgical specialties) then there really ought to be more physicians employed by these hospitals, cuz thats just a little nuts.

That's really why the old-school docs hate the 80 hours restriction--not for the specific number of hours, but for the approach to the profession in general, the way of thinking about what it means to be a doctor, inculcates. If you listen to them, they complain a lot about younger med school grads considering medicine "shift-based work" and having an "employee mentality."

Well, boo hoo for them. If they hadn't continued to gleefully exploit residents by dumping maximal work on them when it was glaringly obvious that being in the hospital for 100 hours a week in 2000 was absolutely nothing like being in the hospital for 100 hours in 1980 then none of this would have happened. It was THEIR failure to adjust the "assigned work" to something that human beings are capable of handling safely that led to the outside imposition of hourly maximums (since obviously regulators cannot adjust how much work you are assigned).

raidermedic said:
Originally Posted by raidermedic

Wow, I've never met a surgery resident who was under the 80 hours/week. Where is this?

Agree Milk. I never heard of a surgery resident doing only 60-65 hours.