81 unfilled radiology spots this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SOAPd into a solid prelim spot = fully matched!
Anyone else?

AHHHH!!!! Congrats dude!!! And you already mentioned you nailed a great advanced position so what are you waiting for.....go party!!

Members don't see this ad.

"According to the 2016 NRMP report, there were 1133 total DR positions (151 categorical and 982 advanced), 14 IR (3 categorical and 11 advanced), and 3 nuclear medicine pgy-2 spots. Grand total of 1150. The numbers you provided show a 5.8% increase in total radiology training positions. However, the number of DR spots have decreased from 1133 to 1090 (-3.9%)."

What are those 151 categorical spots? Are those a mix of PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions? I can't recall very many programs for rads that aren't advanced. Any idea why there are so many categorical spots?

"According to the 2016 NRMP report, there were 1133 total DR positions (151 categorical and 982 advanced), 14 IR (3 categorical and 11 advanced), and 3 nuclear medicine pgy-2 spots. Grand total of 1150. The numbers you provided show a 5.8% increase in total radiology training positions. However, the number of DR spots have decreased from 1133 to 1090 (-3.9%)."

What are those 151 categorical spots? Are those a mix of PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions? I can't recall very many programs for rads that aren't advanced. Any idea why there are so many categorical spots?
Categorical spots are at places with a linked TY or prelim. You match once and get both. Few places have a true integrated categorical program with radiology and clinical months intermixed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Categorical spots are at places with a linked TY or prelim. You match once and get both. Few places have a true integrated categorical program with radiology and clinical months intermixed.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that so many programs in the county had a linked TY or prelim. In fact, I don't know of any that have a linked TY or prelim. I was under the impression they were all advanced or integrated. I know of only 1 integrated program off hand, though I think there are a few.

Wow, 6 percent increase in trainees. GREAT!!

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that so many programs in the county had a linked TY or prelim. In fact, I don't know of any that have a linked TY or prelim. I was under the impression they were all advanced or integrated. I know of only 1 integrated program off hand, though I think there are a few.

Pretty sure the only integrated categorical left is UMKC

Pretty sure the only integrated categorical left is UMKC

Yeah that's the one I had in mind. That's why I was confused at the 151 categorical number above. Assuming 6 or so residents per residency, that means about 25 programs have an associated TY or prelim year (24-ish without UMKC). I just didn't know there were that many programs that did that, as I am not aware of that many. Though I figure included in that number are some PGY-2 positions that randomly opened up during the year, or new programs.

Yeah that's the one I had in mind. That's why I was confused at the 151 categorical number above. Assuming 6 or so residents per residency, that means about 25 programs have an associated TY or prelim year (24-ish without UMKC). I just didn't know there were that many programs that did that, as I am not aware of that many. Though I figure included in that number are some PGY-2 positions that randomly opened up during the year, or new programs.

I would guess that virtually all of those 151 just have associated TY or prelims. Some programs have both categorical and advanced spots. I wrote down awhile ago which programs have categorical spots when i was applying. It seems like theres definitely enough programs offering spots to add up to 151. These are the programs that have atleast some categorical spots that I got from ERAS.

alabama - brookwood baptist
arkansas - u of Arkansas
california - Kaiser Permanente
delaware - christiana care
florida - USF Morsani, Mayo-Jacksonville
hawaii - Tripler Army medical center
iowa - u of iowa
illinois - u of illinois - peoria, southern illinois
indiana - u of Indiana
louisiana - Tulane, Oschner, LSU
maine- maine medical center
michigan - st. joseph mercy/oakland, henry ford/Wayne st, Oakwood, William beaumont, Grand Rapids/Mich St
minnesota - u of Minnesota
mississippi - u of Mississippi
missouri - UMKC
new jersey - st. barnabas, Monmouth
pennsylvania - Mercy Catholic medical center
texas - baylor
washington - virginia mason
wisconsin - aurora, st. Joes, university of wisconsin madison