88 on practice PCAT... Am I good to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the first of three practice PCATs from the official PCAT practice tests that Pearson offers.

According to the composite diagnostic report, my percentile range was determined to be 78-98 percentile, which means I got an 88 on this practice exam

From experience, were the practice exams a good indicator of what you actually got for the real PCAT (should I expect to get this score)?

thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

They are a good indicator. I ranged on the first 2 practice tests 80-90 and the third practice test 75-85. In the real pcat I scored 95. I thought the real thing was easier than the last practice test. it was to much detailed and the pcat was more general, specially Bio and Chem. The rest is harder, emphasis on the reading comprehension section (killed me).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the Pearson practice different from the Kaplan practice? Anyway...I took the Kaplan practice PCAT (since I had kaplan's book it came with 2 free practice test) and it was waaaaay harder than the real PCAT.
I scored a 60th percentile on the Kaplan practice and got 85th percentile on the real thing.
Good luck! :D

I haven't taken a Kaplan practice exam yet, so I'm not sure how different they are. Great job though, and thanks!

They are a good indicator. I ranged on the first 2 practice tests 80-90 and the third practice test 75-85. In the real pcat I scored 95. I thought the real thing was easier than the last practice test. it was to much detailed and the pcat was more general, specially Bio and Chem. The rest is harder, emphasis on the reading comprehension section (killed me).

That's good to know! Thanks!

Is the Pearson practice different from the Kaplan practice? Anyway...I took the Kaplan practice PCAT (since I had kaplan's book it came with 2 free practice test) and it was waaaaay harder than the real PCAT.
I scored a 60th percentile on the Kaplan practice and got 85th percentile on the real thing.
Good luck! :D
I also only took two Kaplan tests: one prior to studying and one after. The first one I got a low 80% on it, and the second I actually did even worse. The real PCAT? 94% with a perfect score in bio and 97% in chemistry.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you are prepared. Those are good indicators. I did way better on the actual exam than the practice. I didn't do so well on the three pearson practice Tests ...my composites were on the low 80s. But on the actual I made a 92.

Just as an update, I ended up getting a 98 composite, but only a 3 on the writing section.
I've heard that schools don't even look at the writing section, but is this true?

Did you take pcat last week? How was it compare to practice exams? Or Dr Collins?? Thanks much:)

Did you take pcat last week? How was it compare to practice exams? Or Dr Collins?? Thanks much:)

I took it about a month ago, and got my official score report this past week. It was very similar to the practice exams, as I took all 3 Pearson and both Kaplan practice exams. I did much better on the real one than Kaplan (around 80s on Kaplan) but the Pearson exams estimated my real score well (all 3 exams were in 79-99 range with the exception of one being 78-98). I did not use Dr Collins