90 credits from a US accredited univ to apply for US med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skull Pell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I was a former international student (had a visa), stopped full-time schooling for 2 years due to lack of funds for immigration papers and went to some cc's to at least 1 or 2 classes per semester (I was working for my own tuition), and now became a permanent resident so I was able to take out student loans and study at my current univ. I had an equivalent of 2 years of full time college coursework back home and, transferring to a US univ, they had accepted 60 credits of combined coursework internatioally and some from US community colleges. Thus, I would only need 60 more to graduate from my current univ, amounting to only 60 US credits of the 90 US credits required
by US med schools.

Most us med school admission pages said "regionally accredited." I have a WES evaluated transcript that says my foreign school is US accredited. I have a feeling that I'd have a problem when it comes to filling in my AMCAS app with my accumulated foreign creds :(

I'm currently a junior (with 60 transfer credits, and 15 in-house credits) in my school.My question is, and I have researched but never found any threads since most people already have had a degree outside the us etc, what would a feasible move be after graduation? Do a post-bacc/masters to fulfill the remaining 30 credits? Another bachelors?

Members don't see this ad.

The most feasible? Call each medical school and ask them if your credits would be allowed or if you would need to take the additional 30 credits.

After you do that, you can decide what to do for those 30 credits (if you even need to take them).

Talking to my advisor, i realized two things: turns out, I did have a lot of credits transfer in. Downside is they don't count for crap towards my degree so I'll end up taking all 90 either way. Bought the MSAR too to investigate on this, one of the better 20 bucks I've ever spent so far.