90+ PCAT people (Be honest)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

talktotoby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What books did you use to study.

What methods did you use to study

How long did you study

When did you take the pcat, Did you know everything when you took it!!

How did you especially study for Biology, Reading and Verbal!!

What were your individual and composite scores.

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Kaplan book to study for the PCAT. I don't really recommend it, though, because, as I discovered just before the test, they take most of the MCAT book minus physics and change all the Ms to Ps. Needless to say, after I took the test, I realized the Kaplan book had nothing to do with the PCAT with or without the new changes. Having said that, it did help me to be studying at all and to be repeatedly refreshing my memory with stuff I hadn't dealt with since freshman year or even high school. So, even though studying the wrong stuff didn't help, keeping my mind on its toes did. Hopefully other people will have much more specific advice than that. :-\

When I took the PCAT, I definitely didn't know everything. I've never had microbiology, prob & stats...I mean, let's be honest, I knew almost nothing in the math section. So that was really, really scary...It really changed my mood during the test, but luckily I got wrapped up in the chem section that turned out be easier than I expected (less gen chem!), so I forgot about it. Somehow it ended up working out, much to my surprise, so I guess it was especially good that I did not dwell on it too much.

I studied a little less than a month before the test. Most of it was because I thought I needed refreshers in basic "bio" (like ecology and animal behavior, which weren't on the test) and gen chem (not half as heavily tested as in the book), which I loathed when I took them. Knowing what I know now, for studying, I'd say spend time on the things you yourself would guess are important (the fact that I even looked at the section on plants astounds me), like physiology and o chem. For reading, definitely do as many passages as you can find; it really helped me pace myself and in general comforted me that I could read the whole passage without running out of time. I think questions in general are the key. Lots of review questions and practice tests helped me.

Finally, I made flashcards, but it's funny because I didn't use them probably half as much as most people would. They were basically just ways for me to take notes. What I found myself doing more often was when waiting for buses or standing in the shower, I would try to recall as much as I could about X, Y, or Z and then if I had some big gap in my memory, I would go back and look at that when I studied. I would also do and redo problems until I had finally learned the process, although had I known better, I would have just consult a stats textbook D:

I hope that helps! Good luck!

I used the Kaplan book to study for the PCAT. I don't really recommend it, though, because, as I discovered just before the test, they take most of the MCAT book minus physics and change all the Ms to Ps.

I have the most recent book, and I swear that I saw the word MCAT at least once in the book. They don't even bother to change all of the Ms to Ps :(

Kaplan PCAT 2006 and 2007. Cliff's PCAT. Various "for dummies" books for refreshers.

Mostly just took all the tests I could find under timed conditions, then took not of the things I didn't know or missed. I then studied those areas.

How long did you study

a few days.

I took it in Jan-07. I knew the biology really well and had like 15 mins to spare. Chemistry was pretty easy for me too. Math wasn't hard, but time is what killed me there. Verbal wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and reading comp was exactly what I expected.

see above.

Verbal 87
Bio 99
Chem 99
Math 64
Reading 62
Compostie 91
(something like that, I don't remember exactly)

Members don't see this ad :)

Kaplan PCAT 2004-2005 and I bought the newest addition but it is virtually the same. Old textbooks and notes, AP Calc review, AP Bio review. I also did one test out of the ARCO book.

Really worked on memorizing the bio stuff and chem formulas. I did a lot of practice problems for bio. I did all the problems in Kaplan. I tried to do some practice tests, but not as much as I would have liked.

How long did you study

Maybe three weeks but not very consistently. I didn't really study the week before the test due to family issues.

August 07. I felt confident on the Reading and Bio, except a few micro questions. I knew a good deal of the verbal but not everything so I just guessed. The chem was do-able, I had see everything before but couldn't recall everything I needed to know. The math was hard. The calc for the most part was pretty easy, but the rest I haven't taken in so long it made it hard. I really ran out of time on it too.

See above for bio. I didn't study for reading or verbal besides doing some practice tests.

Verbal 87
Bio 94
Reading 74
Quantitative 91 (I still can't believe this one)
Chem 91
Writing 3/3
Composite 93

Kaplan 2008-2009; Schaum's outlines of General and Organic Chem and the Schaums Biology outlines, though I felt like the chem is more helpful; Material that came with the Kaplan online course (more extensive than the normal Kaplan book). Also used PCAT Audio learn bio and to some extent the chem. section.

I took the online Kaplan course which I actually liked, unlike most folks on here. The best thing you can do is take lots of practice tests to get the timing down, and that’s where Kaplan really helps. I’ve also have been working in biochem research for ~12 years so I’m tend to have a lot of the conceptual stuff down, so I focused on trying to review A+P material I hadn’t seen in a while and a lot of chemistry practice problems. Really the key is to learn how to prioritize your time on the test so you get through each section.. i.e. if I started a chem. or quant problem and I realized it was a time sink, I immediately circled it and came back to it at the end. For me I don’t normally take tests like that and like to complete each question thoroughly, so it took practice to get used to doing it that way.

How long did you study

2-3 hours a day for about 4 months. I’m also taking refresher courses right now for a lot of my pre-reqs which helps. The best advice I got from friends who did the MCAT was to stop studying about two days before and relax. I took the Friday before the test and went hiking all day to try and stop stressing out and get my mind refreshed, and I think that really helped regain some perspective.
I used utilized SDN for advice and tips a lot, especially folks comments about the June test.

August 07: For the most part I had seen everything except for a few in the math section. I thought some micro questions were a little random, but I worked in microbiology specific research for ~4 years so I actually was familiar with the species used. The quant. section tended to be more advanced than straight problems like 'what is the derivative of..', and instead took somewhat deeper understanding of the material, but I’ve done calculus through linear algebra ~3 times (I started a masters program in comp. sci at one point), so I thought it wasn’t too bad.

Honestly I think the key in the quant section is to not actually work every problem, there simply isn’t enough time for that, but instead to get comfortable with doing enough to extrapolate the correct answer based on the choices. I think I only worked about half the questions completely to a final numerical answer, and used elimination or working backwards from the choices on the rest.

Verbal: Most people know all the words, so it’s a question of getting the analogies. Kaplan actually has a good method for this. I think getting this type of word relationships is extremely difficult if English is not your primary language since some of them are pretty subtle. I think the key is to determine the relationship before you look at the choices, than one choice logically fits in to your predetermined relationship. The choices are chosen to throw you off with incorrect analogies, so if you look at them right after reading the given set, you can easily get sidetracked.

Reading: My best advice here is to take time getting used to reading journal articles. This type of reading is learned to some extent, so go on pubmed everyday during the time you’re studying, find an article your interested in and read it. I read articles constantly at work and I think it really helps. Also understand that for each question there are almost always at least two answers that initially sound ‘right’, and one of the two is usually subtly wrong. Go back and carefully read the pertinent lines and the correct answer always logically follows the passage even if it takes some extrapolating.

Biology: This is section with the most rote memorization. Either you’ve covered it and retained it or not. Using something like Kaplan or Schaum’s bio outline helps you get refreshed on all the material. For me PCAT audiolearn also helped me utilize time like driving in the car to review stuff, and stuff like hormones just takes repeating over and over again till you have it memorized.

Verbal: 475/99
Biology: 478/99
Reading: 486/99
Quant: 449/96
Chem: 445/95
Composite: 467/99

Reactions: 1 user
I dont like reading so i never read the Kaplan book, however, I did a lot of practice tests from Kaplan, Cliff, Barron, and Arco under time condition as well as stimulating actual test condition itself for like three months. My composite increases dramatically to a 93. :) I cannot give you advise on reading b/c i did bad on that section..

Wow, how do you expect to do well on the PCAT if your observational skills are this poor, lol. There's a thread on this EXACT subject near the top of the page in this SAME forum. And its even 2 pages long already.

What books did you use to study: I used the Kaplan book for the most part. I felt like I memorized every possibly biology section in the stupid book. Did a little bit of the chemistry but for the most part learned that on the side. I did buy the Cliff's book as well but just because it had 5 practice tests in it. The tests were decent but did have quite a few errors. The questions on chemistry are 100x harder in the Cliff's book then on the actual PCAT and have slightly less organic but they still point you in the right direction of what you have to study for.

What methods did you use to study: I used flash cards that I made by going through my biology book and outlining the important parts. I remembered a lot of it from classes I had taken before but I did have to teach myself quite a bit as well, especially on microbio sections. For the math I just read up on vectors, basic calculus stuff like integration by parts and such, and logarithms.

How long did you study: On and off for a few weeks.

When did you take the pcat, Did you know everything when you took it: I took it in August and no I didn't know everything. I felt like I did on the bio and most of the chemistry (had >90 on both of those sections) but the math I felt like I really flopped on and somehow still ended up with a 91. That is why it is all dependent on how others do, not how you felt you did.

How did you especially study for Biology, Reading and Verbal: Studied for a couple of hours on verbal and reading by taking a few practice tests, studied the most for biology; studied hardcore for that (got I believe a 94 on that one).

What were your individual and composite scores:

Forgot individual scores off top of my head but my composite was 94.

Reactions: 1 user
Kaplan for some bio review (plants and some a&P items)
MCAT ExamKrackers for gen and organic
Cliffs, Barrons for timing and test taking practice (also used Harcourt's practice tests)

I'm a note taker, so i go through and take notes, answered all the 1001 questions (examkrackers) for both general and organic chemistry. Also, i took all practice tests under timed conditions.

How long did you study
On off from May to August

August, and aside from the math which you will see in my scores, i felt like knew a good portion of each section. There will always be questions you don't know but in the end i felt good about most of the sections and bad about the sections i screwed up.

Bio is my strongest science so other than some A&P, plant, and ecology stuff i really did not do too much with it. I did nothing to prepare for reading and verbal but wish i practiced writing an essay in 30 minutes.

Verbal 99
Bio 96
Chem 93
Reading 74
Math 44 (this is why i'm retaking it)

Composite 95

Roanoke, I wouldn't retake the exam if I were you. a 95% composite is going to be fine. If you retake it, you run the risk of lowering the % on your other sections, which may actually drop your composite score even if you raise your math score.

CLiff's practice tests, kaplan book, harcourt online test (2x), "Top score" for the PCAT CD

Timed, simulated test scenarios

How long did you study
about three to five hours every day for a little over a month

No, I hadn't taken A & P or Micro!! So, I studied like hell from a General Bio book for body systems, and a Micro book

FOr Bio I spoke to a Micro prof and he showed me like seven chapters to peruse and for A & P I sorta knew it was too much info for me to absorb in a month so I just wung it (winged it?)
Verbal - read books with a dictionary and look up what you don't know for a half hour every night also correct your practice tests with a dictionary (every single one) and retake them all.
REading Comp was my lowest grade! It was hard on the actual test but easier in the practices. I would suggest getting a subscription to a scientific magazine and reading and summarizing, I guess. i don't know I'm so bad at reading comp...

bio - 78
verbal - 99
reading - 69
chem - 99
quant - 95
comp - 96

What books did you use to study?

I used Kaplan's PCAT 2007 Edition book. This is good for biology and general chemistry however insufficient for organic chemistry.

I took personalized written notes of everything from the book. I heard if you write it down, you remember it better:)

How long did you study

I don't really remember other then a lot.

I took it in June as a test run. I hadn't taken Organic Chemistry yet though. I would not recommend you do that:)

Biology is more knowledge based, so remember everything from your life science classes or get books to catch you up. Reading and Verbal is more technique. I would just practice reading and verbal quizzes until I get the majority of questions correct. You will develop a natural technique to solve a problem.

Verbal: 90
Biology: 94
Reading: 87
Math: 98
Chem: 83
Comp: 96

for those who scored 90%+, and took the cliffs practice test, would you mind sharing how you did on them (cliffs tests).