A brief look at my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

val_modus

Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys,

I just wanted to list out some complications with my transcript and get an honest answer on whether or not I have a chance to file a competitive application by the time I finish my BS. I have very recently changed my plan to Pre-Pharm so to be honest, I really don't have much information and anything you guys can contribute will be greatly appreciated. So here we go...

I am currently a junior in my undergrad. I have a 3.0 GPA (will have a 3.15 after this semester), and still have about 2 and a half years of undergrad remaining in which I plan on maintaining a 4.0. I have failed/dropped a few science courses however have retaken all of them to replace the poor grades, they are as follows:
-failed Cell and Molecular Bio (although I retook it and made a B)
-dropped Organic Chemistry last year (took it in the summer and made an A)
-dropped Gen Bio II (retook it and made a B)
-made a C in Gen Chem II (retook it and made a B)

At this point, the furthest science courses I have taken are Cell/Mole and OChem I, so I have a good amount of science courses remaining. I plan on making nothing but As in those courses to make up for a ****ty first two years. After doing all the numbers, I will end up with a 3.45-3.50 GPA after my undergrad studies are done, but again, I am more concerned about the previous courses I failed or retook.

My extracurriculars include:
-Pre Dental Society (many mission trips throughout the Texas area to help provide dental care)
-President of my fraternity and ritualist of my fraternity as well
-Representative of School of Math and Science in Student Government Association
-Working part time as Pharm Tech

So considering all of these things, and keeping in mind that I plan on killing these last 2 and a half years along with scoring well on the PCAT, do I have a chance at being a decent application at other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

When calculating GPA, remember that graduate schools and PharmCAS use all grades. So while your school might "replace" your Fs with As and Bs... grad schools dont. Your F sticks with you.

But having Fs doesnt kill your chances. And in some way, it can enhance them. The key is not your past, it is your present and future. The question is what have you learned from your mistakes and what are you doing about it?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there guys,

I just wanted to list out some complications with my transcript and get an honest answer on whether or not I have a chance to file a competitive application by the time I finish my BS. I have very recently changed my plan to Pre-Pharm so to be honest, I really don't have much information and anything you guys can contribute will be greatly appreciated. So here we go...

I am currently a junior in my undergrad. I have a 3.0 GPA (will have a 3.15 after this semester), and still have about 2 and a half years of undergrad remaining in which I plan on maintaining a 4.0. I have failed/dropped a few science courses however have retaken all of them to replace the poor grades, they are as follows:
-failed Cell and Molecular Bio (although I retook it and made a B)
-dropped Organic Chemistry last year (took it in the summer and made an A)
-dropped Gen Bio II (retook it and made a B)
-made a C in Gen Chem II (retook it and made a B)

At this point, the furthest science courses I have taken are Cell/Mole and OChem I, so I have a good amount of science courses remaining. I plan on making nothing but As in those courses to make up for a ****** first two years. After doing all the numbers, I will end up with a 3.45-3.50 GPA after my undergrad studies are done, but again, I am more concerned about the previous courses I failed or retook.

My extracurriculars include:
-Pre Dental Society (many mission trips throughout the Texas area to help provide dental care)
-President of my fraternity and ritualist of my fraternity as well
-Representative of School of Math and Science in Student Government Association
-Working part time as Pharm Tech

So considering all of these things, and keeping in mind that I plan on killing these last 2 and a half years along with scoring well on the PCAT, do I have a chance at being a decent application at other schools?

You should be just fine! But I don't want you to put you on a high horse...so keep working hard! They will understand you messed up, it looks like you're doing a great job in making up for it. That shows real maturity, exactly what they're looking for in a future pharmacist.

What impressed me the most is that you were the president of your fraternity. Not everyone can say that, it's a huge accomplishment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an update:
This summer I took Organic Chemistry I (I withdrew from it in the Spring) and made a B in the course.
At the same time I have been studying for the PTCB and will be a certified Pharm Tech by the end of the summer.
It has been really tough to stay motivated guys, I feel like I am honestly wasting my time with this career path because I have a rather low GPA sitting right at a 3.0 (although I have 2 years of undergrad remaining), and my science pre req GPA is exactly a 3.0, all B's. The only thing that really keeps me going is the fact that a lot of people apply to pharm school just two years after they start college, and I will be doing the full 4 years, so I have 2 more years to show what I can do. Could I have some honest, realistic advice on what to do from here on out with respect to the transcript of sorts I posted above? I've basically had to retake 4 science courses already and made Bs in them (although I only failed one of them). However, I fully plan to devote myself to school now that my mother is out of the hospital and I am not working full time anymore, if I can pull a 4.0 the rest of the way through and score exceptionally well on my PCAT, is there still hope for me in this field?

I think you still should be hopeful, don't be discouraged based only on your cumulative GPAs. You have an upward trend and it sounds like some good reasons and life lessons along the way. Your extracurriculars also sound great. Don't give up if being a pharmacist is what you really want.

When I was in your position I was coming off the worst semester of my undergrad, a 1.8gpa. Since then I've managed at least a 3.5 every semester and my gpa is up to 3.2. Remember that your application has many components, not just gpa. I did well on the pcat, 88, and obtained good letters of rec to balance my relatively low gpa. Aim for an upward trend on your gpa and do well on the pcat and you'll be fine.