A BS/BA Necessary to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fermata

Hold me.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been giving the idea of a career in pharmacy some thought as of late but I'm curious....is there a statistic for how many of those accepted to PharmD programs in the last cycle who had a degree?

I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologize beforehand.

Members don't see this ad.

Like I told you, it depends on each school. :) Go back to premed forum ;)

from aacp:

"SUMMARY
2002-03 APPLICATION POOL
? From September 2002 through August 2003, eighty-nine (89) colleges and schools reported receiving
47,306 applications to first professional degree programs.
? For the 84 colleges and schools reporting application data for both 2002-03 and 2001-02, there was a
37.3 percent increase in the number of applications received.
? 4.8 applications were received by colleges and schools of pharmacy for every one entering student
enrolled in fall 2003. This ratio for 2002-03 was 3.7 applications for every one entering student in fall
? The majority (65.0 percent) of the applications were submitted by females; 35.0 percent were submitted
by males.
? Underrepresented minorities submitted 13.6 percent of the applications (black, 9.3 percent; Hispanic,
3.7 percent; American Indian, 0.5 percent).
? Over 57 percent (57.4 percent) of the applications to colleges and schools were submitted by individuals
who had 3 or more years of postsecondary education: 27.5 percent had completed 3 or more years of
postsecondary education without earning a degree; 28.5 percent held a baccalaureate; 1.2 percent held
a master's degree; and 0.2 percent held a doctorate."

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind, this is 2 years old data. I would expect the pecentage to be even higher than that now.

That data is only 1 year old
grnwacko.gif
...applications received in '02-03 for students that enrolled Fall 2003. I also found this report from Pharmcas to AACP. It's a powerpoint slide show...just flip through it and you'll find a lot of good, current data.

pharmcas data

Hey we are now educated Dean style. Did you see the slide where 70% of people were offered admission to none of the schools they applied to? Ouch!

You will notice the % of people accepted anywhere does not rise much with the number of applications put out. So it appears that all schools are accepting the same top 30% of the applicant pool.

Something funny - someone applied to 43 schools and did not get in to any!

bananaface said:
So, Fermata, why are you now thinking about pharmacy instead of premed?

Well...........I've been considering different career paths for awhile now and pharmacy has always been one of them.

As of late it's just looking more attractive. I'm thinking about trying to job shadow a little bit to see what it's about.