PharmD without a BS (having a low GPA BS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathways

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I graduated UCLA with a 2.67 cGPA (all pharm pre-reqs complete) and I knew that I was not in a great position to apply to PharmD programs with such a low GPA. Since then I have taken the Pharm pre-requs at my local community college and finished off with a 4.0. I have been studying for the PCAT and have been doing really well on all the practice exams.
The PharmD programs that I am interested in do not require a Bachelor Degree but many state that degree is highly preferred. Having a BS with a low GPA, I am wondering if I should apply to Pharmacy schools as a non-degree candidate and just present my community college 4.0? I know that if I apply with my BS, my post-bacc grades will be averaged with my undergrad grades (leaving me with a low GPA again). I even thought about getting a second BS but that would take a lot of time and money. What would you do?

Thank you so much?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're posting in the wrong section...You'll have better luck in the pre-pharm forum, this is the MD school-specific section.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think you're posting in the wrong section...You'll have better luck in the pre-pharm forum, this is the MD school-specific section.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
This is the correct section...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I graduated UCLA with a 2.67 cGPA (all pharm pre-reqs complete) and I knew that I was not in a great position to apply to PharmD programs with such a low GPA. Since then I have taken the Pharm pre-requs at my local community college and finished off with a 4.0. I have been studying for the PCAT and have been doing really well on all the practice exams.
The PharmD programs that I am interested in do not require a Bachelor Degree but many state that degree is highly preferred. Having a BS with a low GPA, I am wondering if I should apply to Pharmacy schools as a non-degree candidate and just present my community college 4.0? I know that if I apply with my BS, my post-bacc grades will be averaged with my undergrad grades (leaving me with a low GPA again). I even thought about getting a second BS but that would take a lot of time and money. What would you do?

Thank you so much?
Yeah, sure, whatever. Everyone gets in anyways. These days the only interview question they ask is if you're willing to take out 6 figures in loans.

The Pharmcas application requires you to list all the schools you have attended so there's no point of trying to hide it. I think your GPA could still get you into newer pharmacy schools given that you don't totally bomb the PCAT.