A "C" in Comparative Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemboy23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is if a "C" in comparative anatomy will destroy all my chances of getting into dental school. I took the class with OChem (w/lab), Cell Biology (w/lab), and a Spanish class that's required for my degree. Hopefully, this one class doesn't destroy me. I got a B from the Organic class and a B from Cell Biology. People told me to steer clear of the class, but I think there should be more to getting into dental school than all A's. I mean, surely they look at the classes you took in each semester. I had the opportunity to only take easy classes but I like challenge and it looks like I got burned. Thanks so much in advance for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Everything I hear from my pre-healthcare committee says that a low grade doesn't destroy your application. Though it sounds like that semester might not have been all too good GPA-wise, it really matters how you did the semester after that; if you bounced back with a good GPA and kept it high, then that is good. One of the dentists who interviewed me saw that I had a low grade when I was taking genetics, comparative anatomy, physics, and some honors classes. He said that he got a D in comparative anatomy and then taught the class later in his career..so there's still hope!

A few bumps along the way are OK. I got a D+ in an O-Chem lab and failed a Human Anatomy course due to some serious course overloading...

I'm in at Pacific, Penn, Tufts, Nova, and Creighton... but I did have a lot of explaining to do in my interview.. it also helped that I've maintained a 4.0 for the last 1.5 years of coursework.

You can do it. Just show that you've recovered and are going strong:)

If you make excuses for it then it will destroy your chance, if you own it then it will improve your chances.