a call to withdraw if you have decided!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinednh09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i thought i would just post this after listening to people at interviews talk about how they knew where they wanted to go, or had narrowed it down to a couple, but were going to wait until May 15 to withdraw from the five other schools they got in to just in case. I withdrew from schools the moment I knew I wasn't going there, to open up spots for those who did. Think about it, the school you are holding on to may be someone else's dream school!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, and you'll avoid problems like the "I got accepted somewhere I don't want to go and I want to toss my acceptances and re-apply to my dream school, is that a bad idea?" threads that are always on here.

Yeah, and you'll avoid problems like the "I got accepted somewhere I don't want to go and I want to toss my acceptances and re-apply to my dream school, is that a bad idea?" threads that are always on here.

I think it's pretty ridiculous when people post things like that! I'm gonna start advising them to definitely reapply - they don't deserve the acceptances they got.

Members don't see this ad :)
i withdrew from brown and duke last week, hopefully it'll get someone out there a spot!

Unfortunately, it's not always easy to simply withdraw, even when you have a "preferred choice." Reason being, most schools have yet to release financial aid packages, and for many, those are going to be a crucial part of the decision-making process (one that might even change the person's preferences). As these tend to be released in April/early May, most are likely to hold on to their acceptances until they have the financial aid packages in hand and can better assess their situations.

Another factor: Second Look Weekends, most of which are held in April.

I will not be withdrawing from anywhere until i have the FA package in hand. I worked for these acceptances so its my right to hold onto them and use all available info to pick one.

withdrew from all but 2. hope that helps someone(s).

good point, but there are schools that you know you would not attend regardless of financial aid or second look, such as in my case. and i agree with you, but most people wait until the exact date of may 15th, rather than after they receive their financial aid packages and go to second look, just because it's the deadline.

Yep, I withdrew from one that I knew I wouldn't attend already. Waiting for FA on two, then I'll make my decision :)

good point, but there are schools that you know you would not attend regardless of financial aid or second look, such as in my case. and i agree with you, but most people wait until the exact date of may 15th, rather than after they receive their financial aid packages and go to second look, just because it's the deadline.
Financial aid being equal, i think most ppl have an idea what their top choice is...so that is kind of shady to wait till the last minute if you have your FA packages in hand well before that date.

i thought i would just post this after listening to people at interviews talk about how they knew where they wanted to go, or had narrowed it down to a couple, but were going to wait until May 15 to withdraw from the five other schools they got in to just in case. I withdrew from schools the moment I knew I wasn't going there, to open up spots for those who did. Think about it, the school you are holding on to may be someone else's dream school!

I completely understand your reasoning. While interviewing, especially at "big name" schools, I found the subliminal pissing contests amusing..."oh, what schools have you interviewed....nice...well I've interviewed here and been accepted here and even though I have all these acceptances I know where I will be attending...but I am still going to hold out until May 15th b/c I can." T'was hilarious.

I guess I am joining your call as well!

I have been blessed to have had choices but I know to where I would attend, and I have thus informed other schools of my decision to not accept. I am on waitlists at three of my dream schools...so I am holding out hope.

People should DEFINITELY withdraw from the following:

Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
WashU

I don't know why anyone would want to go to those schools. You all should WD immediately...

lol

But seriously though, it is annoying that people with like 5-10 acceptances are holding spots where they KNOW they aren't going to go (c'mon, everyone knows they're going to Harvard, JHop, Penn, Yale, UC's, etc., regardless of FA).

People should DEFINITELY withdraw from the following:

Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
WashU

I don't know why anyone would want to go to those schools. You all should WD immediately...

lol

But seriously though, it is annoying that people with like 5-10 acceptances are holding spots where they KNOW they aren't going to go (c'mon, everyone knows they're going to Harvard, JHop, Penn, Yale, UC's, etc., regardless of FA).

I withdrew from all but the 4-5 schools I was seriously considering just because I wanted the money from the fees back... but I would imagine you should be able to narrow down your list a bit regardless of financial aid!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will not be withdrawing from anywhere until i have the FA package in hand. I worked for these acceptances so its my right to hold onto them and use all available info to pick one.

I totally agree with this.

The big flurry in waitlist acceptances will not occur until after May 15 anyway. People who are "holding onto" all acceptances until May 15 are in total compliance with the rules.

Ditto. I expect to withdraw from 7 schools in mid-april.

I completely understand your reasoning. While interviewing, especially at "big name" schools, I found the subliminal pissing contests amusing..."oh, what schools have you interviewed....nice...well I've interviewed here and been accepted here and even though I have all these acceptances I know where I will be attending...but I am still going to hold out until May 15th b/c I can." T'was hilarious.

Ugh, I know right? Honestly, a lot of the conversations I had during interviews were:

"so is this your first interview?"
"oh, no, I've had a few others"
"oh yeah?! Where"
"uhm, all over the place, I wasn't really geographically consistent"
"oh ok. I just got back from my Harvard interview."
"oh cool. Er...did you like Boston?"
"yeah, it's ok. Harvard was great you know, but...I don't know. I think maybe I'd rather go to Yale or Hopkins"
"that's nice"
"have you ever been to Boston?"
"yeah, I love it"
"oh yeah? Interview at Harvard?"
"uhm no, I went to college there"
"oh, like at Harvard?"
"er...there are other schools in Boston you know"
"oh yeah, MIT?"
"....never mind."

I am holding on to my top three right now and withdrew from the other 4... I hope it helps someone out!

Amen to this. I was on the waitlist end of things last year, and I didn't blame people for holding onto theirs for a while. It's an important decision I'm not going to rush before I have all the info.

I think I'm only applying to one school anyway so I can't really join your cause, or maybe I already have?

I withdrew from Harvard, Hopkins, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, UWash, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, Baylor, UChicago, NU, I hope you get my spot.

Oh yea, I withdrew 2 years ago when I screwed up in biochem and physio.

I withdrew from one school. The others I've held onto because I really don't know where I want to be. I plan on traveling out to all the schools to revisit, but because of my work schedule I can't until the first week in May. So, I'll hold onto 3 acceptances probably until just before May 15 :oops:

I'll probably be withdrawing from EVMS soon... I hear that financial aid packages don't go out until AFTER May 15th. :rolleyes:

The other three I'll hold onto until I get financial packages.

I'm holding a few extra acceptances though it appears FA packages don't come out for those schools until AFTER May 15. I'm actually not expecting any institutional need based aid anyway. However, it seems that there is the slim chance of getting a merit scholarship which are not necessarily coupled to FA packages, right?

Of course. I think this thread is in reference to people who have picked one and are, for whatever reason, not withdrawing from the other schools.