A Canadian thinking about applying to the states...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insultcomicdog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In addition to Canadian schools, I'm looking into the states for pharmacy schools....I know I've probably missed some deadlines, and I understand about rolling admissions... Are there still places I could apply?

Is it the private schools I should be looking at, since I'm applying as an International Student from Canada? What about state schools? Do they alot a number of spots for international students? Is there a list of schools posted somewhere with requirements? I understand when applying to Dents in the states, the process is all centralized....Is pharmacy like that?

Also another thing, which is more important the hard PCAT score or each individual section? I wrote it last year, but I'm debating one whether or not to write it again. I didn't do very well on the math section. What's considered a decent score?

Thanks in advance,

Triumph

Members don't see this ad.

You speak english. That is a plus right there.
It is getting to be a challenge doing business with all the Pakastani, Indian, and Nigerian pharmacists running around.
They are excellent pharmacists, but try and get an accurate copy from one on the phone and you have your work cut out for you.

That isn't their problem btw

What do you call someone that speaks two languages
bilingual
What do you call someone who only speaks one language
American

Just bring a wagon of money and your chances are good.

Baggywrinkle what do you have against Nigerian pharmacists?
I am not Nigerian or anything, but this is not the first time you make this sort of comments, I sense a little bit of animosity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by TCB
Baggywrinkle what do you have against Nigerian pharmacists?
I am not Nigerian or anything, but this is not the first time you make this sort of comments, I sense a little bit of animosity.

No sir I do not have anything against Nigerian pharmacists. Two of my best mates were of Nigerian origin from the Yoruba tribe. One in particular was a flying buddy of mine. The pharmD that I had the problem with because of his attitude was Ibo and his nationality was only relevent because it might have been a cultural issue.

My comment was aimed at the difficulty and inherent danger associated with taking a copy from a pharmacist that I don't know and can barely understand. A problem, I might add, that I have had with pharmacists from the tiny kingdom of New Orleans. Therefore, english speaking Canadian pharmacists with plain vanilla midwestern accents are welcome in my book, ehh?

The job is hard enough without breaking out the semaphore flags
http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/flags/semaphore/i.gif

OK baggywrinkle life is good; I misinterpreted your note.

Apply to USC!!! We have several internationals and they're some of the most fun peeps in my class. They even have international externships worked out. You gotta wait till next year, but it'd be worth the wait.

If you got the money, you can still get into South University in Savannah Georgia for next fall. South is good about looking at the WHOLE student rather than putting everyones grade and PCAT score on a list and then deciding. They also have a lot of students in my class that go to school with a student visa. Truth be warned though, Georgia is a very different place if you have never been to the "Good Ole South" before. I've lived here for 6 months already and I'm still in culture shock! I hope this helps you!

Savannah is an awesome place to be! One of the ten great cities of the world. :)

I love Savannah. I go there for vacation every year. Great little restaurants, nice art galleries and shops. I guess the pharmacy school is not in the quaint downtown area, though. I don't know anything about the other areas.

I appreciate you help guys....I'll look into South University....There was some school...I think NOVA in Florida that sent me all kinds of literature....I think they must've got my nfo from the PCAT...Any thoughts on that school?

I remember finding a centralized site last year that had information about each school's pereqs and deadlines.... Any ideas on where I could find this information?

What's the consensus on Private versus State schools for Canadian applicants? I really would like to increase my scope beyond the Canadian schools....

Best Regards,

Triumph

http://go.to/triumph.com

I actully used to live 5 minutes away from Nova. Its a great school, but its really hard to get into there. They are very good at accepting students from other countries. As far as the comments about Savannah, vacation and living are much different. Things in downtown are nice, but if you live in the real savannah, you will see what im talking about. It's a wonderful city to visit, to take in history etc... but living there is a tad different!

If you want to get into school for next fall, your best shot are the private schools. After that, the public schools are fair game. For you, it won't make a difference because private vs public will be just as expensive!

As a fellow Canadian who are now in the US, I feel obliged to warn you that pharmacy schools in the States, be it private or state, are extremely expensive when compared to Canadian schools. You should check the tuitions for all the schools as well as the available financial aids.

I am a Canuck studying pharmacy in the US and I like it. Even though your tuition is a lot more expensive, you'll be getting a doctorate degree rather than a b.s degree. Working in the US after graduation pays much more than whatever you'll be making in Canada. Expect to pay about $20-30 K per year x 4 (not including living expenses).

I think that it's smart of you to look into the US to keep your options open. Afterall, it's very competitive in Canada since there are so few schools.

As far as acceptances go, some schools will not even consider you, some have a quoto on internatinal students, and some don't care where you're from as long as you have the grades and the money. State schools tend to be a little less expensive that private schools and it's probably a little bit easier for you as an international student to get into those private schools (as long as you're rich). You should ask each school what their admissions policy is like in regard to international students.

Here are some schools I know of that don't care where you're from:
-University of Buffalo
-Ferris State U (my school)
-Massachusetts College of Pharmacy* (keep in mind though that these people won't even look at your application if you can't prove to them that you have at least $50K for your first year or so)
-Albany College of pharmacy*

*-private school

These schools only accept maybe one or 2 international students:
-Univerity of Chicago
-University of Michigan

I don't think that it's too late for you to apply for any of the above schools, but you should start looking into applying very soon.
Most of the above start accepting apps in early January.

If you have more ?s, pm me.

Chunkyb,

Thnks for the info!! That really helps me out alot with my choices....

In addition to some help from my folks, I already plan on having to get a crapload of loans if I get into a school in Canada or the States....Graduate with 120 G Debt like my old roomate down at TUFTs for dents woohoo!

Wow....PharmCAS....I didn't know there was a centralized app service....That makes things alot easier....Is it new this year? Does this mean I only need a few reference letters that this site will deseminate? Rather than me having to send one each school individually? I wish Canadian schools had a service like this. I hate troubling referees for multiple letters....Also each school in Canada has their own specific format for application...UBC you have to hand write your personal profile in a box 5 inches by 8 inches...Memorial U will let you type it out...Others like U of T don't look at references or personal profile at all...

There's still alot of American schools that have deadlines in 2004....Phew...

How should I wittle down the list? Based on their reputation and being an international student can you make any suggestions?

Albany College of Pharmacy of Union University NY 02/01/2004
Auburn University AL 03/03/2004
Buffalo - SUNY, University at NY 03/03/2004
Butler University IN 02/01/2004
California - San Diego, University of CA Expired
California - San Francisco, University of CA Expired
Campbell University NC 03/03/2004
Colorado Health Science Center, University of CO 12/01/2003
Connecticut, University of CT 02/01/2004
Creighton University NE 03/03/2004
Drake University IA 02/01/2004
Florida, University of FL 03/03/2004
Howard University DC 02/01/2004
Illinois - Chicago, University of IL 02/01/2004
Iowa, University of IA 12/01/2003
Kentucky, University of KY 02/01/2004
LECOM College of Pharmacy PA 03/03/2004
Maryland, University of MD 03/03/2004
Medical University of South Carolina SC 01/02/2004
Mercer University GA 02/01/2004
Midwestern University - Chicago IL 03/03/2004
Midwestern University - Glendale AZ 02/01/2004
Minnesota, University of MN 01/02/2004
New Mexico, University of NM 02/01/2004
North Carolina, University of NC 02/01/2004
Nova Southeastern University FL 02/01/2004
Ohio State University, The OH 02/01/2004
Oregon State University OR 02/01/2004
Pacific, University of the CA 01/02/2004
Palm Beach Atlantic University FL 03/03/2004
Pittsburgh, University of PA 02/01/2004
Purdue University IN 12/01/2003
Samford University AL 03/03/2004
Shenandoah University VA 03/03/2004
Southern California, University of CA 01/02/2004
St. Louis College of Pharmacy MO 03/03/2004
Virginia Commonwealth University VA 03/03/2004
Washington State University WA 02/01/2004
Wayne State University MI 02/01/2004
West Virginia University WV 02/01/2004
Western University of the Health Sciences CA Expired
Wingate University NC 02/01/2004
Wyoming, University of WY 02/01/2004

Some friends of mine have gotten into Wayne State and Buffalo....I'd probably look into those schools since I'm from Ontario....

Triumph

http://go.to/triumph.com

I would not be too excited about pharmcas- you still have to send all the letters to each school you are applying and they simply charge you even more money for the application process.