A couple of math questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochem1l

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1#Prescription calls for .24mg of a drug that you have in 50mcg/ml concentration. How many ml of liquid do you need?

#2You have a liquid that contains 12mg/10ml. What percent is this liquid? (Hint: To solve, you will need to convert mg to g per 100ml using decimals.)

#3And how would you convert 1 oz to grains?

Can you cross multiply to solve proportion equations or multiply by the reciprocal? I got confused the other day multiplyin by reciprocal because for instance i did 10/x=5/2 I multiplied by (X/10)(10/X)=(5/2)(X/10) - not sure if that works that way or if it is done by have the number over 1, and not the reciprocal. Was tryin to isolate the variables and this wasnt workin

Members don't see this ad.

At this time, I am mathematically-challenged and won't be able to answer the first two questions. But with regards to question 3, 1 oz is equal to ~ 28.35 grams. I think I read somewhere that 1 gram is around 15.5 grains.

So that means....(15.5 grains/gram) x (28.35 grams/oz). Cancel out grams and you'll get the answer in grains per ounce. I think that's right...lol :rolleyes:

1#Prescription calls for .24mg of a drug that you have in 50mcg/ml concentration. How many ml of liquid do you need?

Correct me if I'm wrong but to solve this I would first use a conversion factor to find out how many micrograms are in .24 mg so

Xmcg/.24mg=1mcg/.001mg so then I would solve for X, multiplying .24mg to both sides of the equation.

Then I'm left with X mcg = .24mg(1mcg/.001mg)
X mcg = .24/.001
X micrograms = 240mcg so there are 240micrograms in .24mg. Knowing this, I would now set up another conversion factor.
50mcg/ml = 240mcg/x to isolate the variable x I'm going to multiply both sides by 240mcg
so
x=240mcg times 1ml/ 50mcg
X=240/50
X=4.8ml
so 4.8ml of a 50mcg/ml concentration will equate to the desired dose .24mg or 240microgram

Is there a way to combine the two separate conversions and put them together to get 1 condensed problem similar to dimensional analysis problems? Is this conversion factor or proportion equation

#2You have a liquid that contains 12mg/10ml. What percent is this liquid? (Hint: To solve, you will need to convert mg to g per 100ml using decimals.)

Firstly, is there a reason to convert to mg to grams per 100ml? explain please
Again, here I feel it is necessary to utilize a conversion factor.
1mg is .001g so 1mg/.001g=12mg/x, I like to keep my variables on top so .001g/1mg=x/12mg
To solve I'm going to multiply both sides by 12mg
So X=.001g times 12 divided by 1
X = .012 so 12mg is .012g
So .012g/10ml = x/100ml
Isolate variable by multiplying both sides by 100ml
So .012g times 100 / 10 = .12

IS this almost the answer .12mg/100ml Then to find the percentage I'm going to divide .12 by 100. I'm left with .0012 But they are asking for a percent, is this a decimal? What do I do?

Simply find how many grains per ounces 1 oz = 437.5gr
So If we had 3 oz it'd be 1oz/437.5 = 3oz/X or 437.5/1=x/3
Isolate variable
X=3 times 437.5

I think the times when multiple conversions are lined up is if you know how many grains are in a gram and how many grams are in an ounce, but you want to find how many grains are in an ounce

then You'd have to go from the known conversion of grains to grams then grams to ounces

Can you cross multiply to solve proportion equations or multiply by the reciprocal? I got confused the other day multiplying by reciprocal because for instance i did 10/x=5/2 I multiplied by (X/10)(10/X)=(5/2)(X/10) - not sure if that works that way or if it is done by having the number over 1 when they talk about reciprocal\ Was trying to isolate the variables and this got me confused because it put my variable on the other side of the equation with the numbers. I'm thinking that it can still be solved with some effort, but I'm not sure

If someone would take the time to help me out, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
At this time, I am mathematically-challenged and won't be able to answer the first two questions. But with regards to question 3, 1 oz is equal to ~ 28.35 grams. I think I read somewhere that 1 gram is around 15.5 grains.

So that means....(15.5 grains/gram) x (28.35 grams/oz). Cancel out grams and you'll get the answer in grains per ounce. I think that's right...lol :rolleyes:

DOnt you want to keep like terms for the denominator and numerator?

thats what confused me kind about the cross multiplying part

thanks for trying, I really am beginning to appreciate someone who tries, and I'm beginning to experience the difference that It can make in a situation. Your that much better at math right now because You went out of your way to help me. Thank you!

Last edited:
DOnt you want to keep like terms for the denominator and numerator?

thats what confused me kind about the cross multiplying part

thanks for trying, I really am beginning to appreciate someone who tries, and I'm beginning to experience the difference that It can make in a situation. Your that much better at math right now because You went out of your way to help me. Thank you!

I went ahead to look up on the internet for how many grains equals one ounce and I saw that 437.5 grains is in one ounce, so technically 437.5 grains/oz, which is not very far off when you multiply my numbers together (which came to around 439 grains). I rounded the numbers so that's probably why there's a slight deviation but anyways...

To answer your question, yes, you technically can keep like terms for the denominator and numerator. My answer, below, shows if I didn't cross off grams.

(15.5 grains/gram) * (28.35 grams/oz) = 439 grains * grams / grams * oz

That's technically a correct answer, but mathematics stresses the simplification of an answer, which is why I crossed out grams completely from the final answer; it's redundant to keep grams in.

Hopefully I interpreted your question right, thereby giving you relevant information haha.

EDIT - As for the other problems, I don't have a pencil and paper on hand atm so trying to do the problems in my head will drive me up a wall. If no one else answers your other questions by tonight, I'll work them out and see if I can answer them.

Just get it to g per 100 ml and there is your percentage.

corpseman could you do the problem and show your work? (edit, I think I see it, but I'm not too sure) 1/100 is 1 % but whats 1/250? However, It is not simply just a division problem, right? Because if it is I get .004 whereas if I do a proportion equation x/100=1/250 I get .4.. Kind of having a hard time seeing how .004 and .4 are the same?

How will I remember

12mg/10ml = .0012grams/100ml
because x grams/12mg .001grams/1mg
isolate variable, and you get xgrams = 12(.001)/1

so what is it that your saying the percentage is?
and how are you arriving at that?

And can someone explain why a "leading zero" is beneficial?

also, I'm kind of confused on the AWP stuff,

it says less than 20 profession fee of 4
20-50$ = professional fee of 5
50 and higher = 6 dollar professional fee.

awp + professional fee = sellin price of prescription

so awp for 30 capsules of amoxicillin 250mg is 3.50$ the retail price is the addition of professional and awp. 3.50 + 4 = 7.50$

that part makes sense, but then I have a question that says

calculate retail price of the following prescriptions using the formula AWP + professional fee = retail price of prescription if the professional fee is determined using the chart in the example above.

1) Verapamil SR tabs #30 AWP/100 135.85$ retail price?

I thought the example would be similar, add 6$ professional fee,( because its 50.01$ and higher )to the "AWP" which in this case, isn't it 135.85$?

but the answer isn't 135.85$+6$

What division by AWP/100 mean?
I have another problem that says glyburide 5mg tabs #30 AWP/1000 480.15$

so whats the /100, /1000 mean in this problem? It is not apart of my example problem so I'm a little lost here.
2 more pages of math, doin net profit/gross profit and awp stuff and then I'll be done with calculations.

I've been goin by a book here, hoping I can study myself and get certified without getting scammed into a scamming school . IT has been difficult, but I'm happy that the math is almost out of my way, and then I can go back to studying intermediate algebra.. Yay

cant wait to get that monkey off my back, have several years left of math. I will enjoy it actually. looking forward to starting

Last edited:
corpseman could you do the problem and show your work?

12mg/10ml = .0012grams/100ml
because x grams/12mg .001grams/1mg
isolate variable, and you get xgrams = 12(.001)/1

so what is it that your saying the percentage is?
and how are you arriving at that?

And can someone explain why a "leading zero" is beneficial?

Use a leading zero because .24mg could be misconstrued as 24 mg. it reduces error. Important for pharmacy...

also, I'm kind of confused on the AWP stuff,

it says less than 20 profession fee of 4
20-50$ = professional fee of 5
50 and higher = 6 dollar professional fee.

awp + professional fee = sellin price of prescription

so awp for 30 capsules of amoxicillin 250mg is 3.50$ the retail price is the addition of professional and awp. 3.50 + 4 = 7.50$

that part makes sense, but then I have a question that says

calculate retail price of the following prescriptions using the formula AWP + professional fee = retail price of prescription if the professional fee is determined using the chart in the example above.

1) Verapamil SR tabs #30 AWP/100 135.85$ retail price?

I thought the example would be similar, add 6$ professional fee,( because its 50.01$ and higher )to the "AWP" which in this case, isn't it 135.85$?

but the answer isn't 135.85$+6$

What division by AWP/100 mean?
I have another problem that says glyburide 5mg tabs #30 AWP/1000 480.15$

so whats the /100, /1000 mean in this problem? It is not apart of my example problem so I'm a little lost here.
2 more pages of math, doin net profit/gross profit and awp stuff and then I'll be done with calculations.

I've been goin by a book here, hoping I can study myself and get certified without getting scammed into a scamming school . IT has been difficult, but I'm happy that the math is almost out of my way, and then I can go back to studying intermediate algebra.. Yay

cant wait to get that monkey off my back, have several years left of math. I will enjoy it actually. looking forward to starting

There are 100 or 1000 pills in a bottle. Find cost per pill then cost of the prescription.

still having trouble on the AWP problems.

Verapaml SR tabs #30 AWP/100 135.85

awp 50.01$ and higher then professional fee is 6

what is the 30 in relation to if its not pills.

So if I divide the price 135.85$ by the pills 100 I get 1.3585 with the professional fee of 6.00$ that comes out to $7.3585
book says the answer is 45.76$, so somehow I'm way off.

Last edited:
still having trouble on the AWP problems.

Verapaml SR tabs #30 AWP/100 135.85

awp 50.01$ and higher then professional fee is 6

what is the 30 in relation to if its not pills.

So if I divide the price 135.85$ by the pills 100 I get 1.3585 with the professional fee of 6.00$ that comes out to $7.3585
book says the answer is 45.76$, so somehow I'm way off.

Dude. 30 is the number of pills for the prescription. Multiply your 1.35 by 30 and then add the fee. Your fee will be 5 dollars, not 6 based on the fee schedule you posted above.

Leading zero looks like this: 0.24 it doesn't change the math.

Dude. 30 is the number of pills for the prescription. Multiply your 1.35 by 30 and then add the fee. Your fee will be 5 dollars, not 6 based on the fee schedule you posted above.

Leading zero looks like this: 0.24 it doesn't change the math.

Ok, I understand now about the leading zeros. Makes sense, I'll use them every time I get an amount of drug so it's easier to see the decimal.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

so AWP/100 price is 135.85 so I'm taking a stab at it, this means that there is a bottle of 100 pills for that price. divide the two to find the price per pill. multiply price per pill by the amount of pills and then
then add the professional fee.

I think I understand now, Thank you very much for clarifying the concept, like teaching a man to fish, instead of throwing him the fish.
I love learning, feels great when the light lights up and student finally gets it. Thank You! Namaste!
Thank you

Last edited: