A Day in the Life of A Private Practice Ob/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWJohnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what a normal day for a private practice OB/GYN would be like? Are you at clinic 8-5 everyday? :sleep: Or are you working 4 days at the clinic with schedule procedures two days a week? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

There's no right answer to your question. There are so many ways to practice. I know one who operates on Tuesday/Thursday with clinic the other 3 days. Not entirely sure of his call, but the last I heard it was 1:4.

DrWJohnson said:
I was wondering what a normal day for a private practice OB/GYN would be like? Are you at clinic 8-5 everyday? :sleep: Or are you working 4 days at the clinic with schedule procedures two days a week? :smuggrin:

:laugh: You are joking, right? Dude, you cannot "schedule" your patients deliveries. You WILL be called at 2:00-3:00am to deliver your private patient. How often? Well that depends on how big your patient base is. And since size does matter in private practice (to keep food on our table after paying the high malpractice insurance premiums), you will be called at irregular hours pretty often.

And as an attending, taking call q3-q4 is not uncommon (at least at my school).

Members don't see this ad :)
DrWJohnson said:

I did my OB rotation at a private hospital with a group of 11 OBs. No other med students and no residents. This group shares call, so they do a 24hr shift on labor and delivery every 10 days or so. If one of their patients goes into labor when they are not on call, then one of their partners will do the delivery.

Aside from the q10 call, they are mostly m-f and 8-5. They do about one 1/2 day of surgery a week, and the rest is clinic. In large group practices, you will probably find some variation of this.

Leukocyte said:
:laugh: You are joking, right? Dude, you cannot "schedule" your patients deliveries. You WILL be called at 2:00-3:00am to deliver your private patient.

Not that I disagree with you, but to the original poster's credit, he did say "scheduled procedures" not deliveries. You are right about being summoned at all hours for deliveries, but most procedures are scheduled.

I was not referring to the deliveries! I am simply asking how providers schedule their patients in private practice? I have the good sense to know that deliveries won't wait until April X at 9:30am! Thanks for the responses that have been posted thus far!

DrWJohnson said:
I was not referring to the deliveries! I am simply asking how providers schedule their patients in private practice? I have the good sense to know that deliveries won't wait until April X at 9:30am! Thanks for the responses that have been posted thus far!

Oops, Sorry for being to harsh. :oops:

I do not know if there are any practicing Ob/Gyns in this forum. They should be more qualified to answer your question. All I know is the impression I got from the Ob/Gyn attendings at my school, which to say the least, is not encouraging. So I will refrain from posting their take on Ob/Gyn in general, since it will anger many people who like this field (including me).