A dentist thinking about becoming a DO. NEED ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adviceseeker1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a dentist in a rural town and have just turned 28 years old.
While in dental school I took basic science courses with the allopathic medical students and my interest in medicine throughout dental school grew exponentially. I was strongly interested in pathology, anatomy, and community/family medicine. I was even able to rotate with some family medicine residents and enjoyed it immensely.

Working in a rural town has opened my eyes to the lack of primary care physicians in underserved areas and its tremendous importance in our health care system. I became interested in becoming a DO due to it's main emphasis on primary care, in particular family medicine.

I have researched and found a few DOs and MDs who are both dentists and family medicine doctors that practice in rural areas. In talking with them they told me that family medicine and dentistry compliment each other very well and they have been able to do both successfully in their respective practices.

I graduated undergrad with a 3.8 gpa and 3.7 science gpa and was wondering if DO schools would consider someone like me with a strong interest in primary care?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
While in dental school I took basic science courses with the allopathic medical students and my interest in medicine throughout dental school grew exponentially. I was strongly interested in pathology, anatomy, and community/family medicine. I was even able to rotate with some family medicine residents and enjoyed it immensely.

Working in a rural town has opened my eyes to the lack of primary care physicians in underserved areas and its tremendous importance in our health care system. I became interested in becoming a DO due to it's main emphasis on primary care, in particular family medicine.

I have researched and found a few DOs and MDs who are both dentists and family medicine doctors that practice in rural areas. In talking with them they told me that family medicine and dentistry compliment each other very well and they have been able to do both successfully in their respective practices.

I graduated undergrad with a 3.8 gpa and 3.7 science gpa and was wondering if DO schools would consider someone like me with a strong interest in primary care?

Thanks for your time!
Absolutely

Reactions: 3 users
@Goro Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if med schools would dislike the idea of me switching careers/combining the two disciplines? I was also wondering if you had any recommendations of DO or MD schools that place great emphasis on family medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if med schools would dislike the idea of me switching careers/combining the two disciplines? I was also wondering if you had any recommendations of DO or MD schools that place great emphasis on family medicine?
You'll need to demonstrate why you're running TO Medicine, and not merely running away from DDS.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro would that be like discussing how my interest in medicine grew during basic science course work, observing residents, and working in rural settings with limited access to care?

Since your dental school has a med school, why not apply there. They may let you place out of some preclinical courses. A friend of mine did this, although years ago.

Reactions: 5 users

Thanks for your time!

Yes, without a doubt! Your DDS demonstrates your academic ability. Osteopathic medical schools look for candidates who they feel can complete the program and add to the study body and to the profession. You can certainly do that. Go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for the encouragement! @Angus Avagadro I had reached out to my old school and they said I would have to start as an M1. I was wondering if anyone knew how DO schools calculate gpa. I have heard that MD schools view other doctoral degrees as more of extracurricular and don’t necessarily care about the gpa? Is it true that DO schools include both into the GPA and if so would do they consider “strength of schedule” into their view of the applicant?

@Angus Avagadro If you don’t mind me asking what specialty did your friend end up in?
He did a residency in dental anesthesia, board would not sit dentist had to repeat med school and residency. This was years ago, now an anesthesiologist. His med school let him place out of preclinical

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That would take a lot of hard work and determination for sure! For DO schools, do they calculate GPA differently than MD schools?

Thanks for your time!
The Michigan MD schools would love to have you. We’re always looking for more rural docs to place ;)

@sunshinefl So my dental school grades would not count toward my GPA for applying to DO school, but my undergrad grades would count? Do you think the DDS degree would be viewed in a positive light by people in admissions at DO and MD school?

@sunshinefl So my dental school grades would not count toward my GPA for applying to DO school, but my undergrad grades would count? Do you think the DDS degree would be viewed in a positive light by people in admissions at DO and MD school?

They would SEE them, and they would be part of your total evaluation, but they are not mixed in with your undergrad GPA, and undergrad GPA is the most important.

I think it shows you are capable of professional school, but medical school would need to make sense in the context of your goals and personal statement.

if you have the funds and understand OMM is not based on science and ok with that, DO is probably good for you and you'll get in, not a hard thing. Otherwise why not try for some MD schools

@maxinia My interest in DO is that their primary goal is to train primary care doctors. I’m not sure if this is true, but I’ve been told MD schools don’t necessarily want to take career changers, while DO schools have a lot of career changers? I was also wondering if in terms of MCAT scores, if it’s accurate to say that for DO schools you want a 505-507, while MD you would want 508+?

@maxinia My interest in DO is that their primary goal is to train primary care doctors. I’m not sure if this is true, but I’ve been told MD schools don’t necessarily want to take career changers, while DO schools have a lot of career changers? I was also wondering if in terms of MCAT scores, if it’s accurate to say that for DO schools you want a 505-507, while MD you would want 508+?
You’re overthinking this. Every medical school pushes their students towards primary care, and nearly every school nowadays has career changers. In my class, we have former PA’s, nurses, lawyers, pharmacists, PhD, etc. and so forth. The list goes on and on. And really, no medical school is going to reject applicants because they seek to practice primary care. I guess my point here....(lol) is with regards to going the FM route, apply bouth routes and you’ll likely have equal success.

@MedicineN'Jazz Thanks for the advice! The MCAT will be a major hurdle if I move forward with the change, do you know what the averages are for US MD and DO schools are?

for matriculants, DO is 503. MD is 511.

@MedicineN'Jazz Thanks for the advice! The MCAT will be a major hurdle if I move forward with the change, do you know what the averages are for US MD and DO schools are?
Given your current career and your ambitions, shoot for atleast a 508, but I can see you getting away with a 500 if need be. DM me with your MCAT score if its within the lower range and I’ll prepare a list for you. Contrary to sdn belief, both minority and non-minority applicants can get into medical school with a sub-505. Happy studying!