In case you were thinking about going to Liberty University...READ THIS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADD!!!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Dean flat out said campus is to stay OPEN amidst this outbreak, even defying state law. The state FORCED him to close campus and make classes be online, and he has still insisted on keeping the campus open:

Edit: Second article I just found today on Yahoo:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 9 users
The campus is open because liberty has a large number of international students (missionary kids) who could not return home due to travel restrictions because of COVID 19. There are approximately 1,100 students still on campus, staying in the dorms and attending classes online.

The VDH visited last week and approved of all the measures being taken for proper social distancing in areas they could not close, like food service (take out only, 10 person rule enforced). The gyms and recreational areas are all closed. LU owns a hotel they plan to use if students need to be quarantined beyond the dorms.

The medical school (LUCOM) has moved online, and makes its decisions independent of LU main campus. The only programs at LU right now that have in person components are aviation and nursing, and they’ve put social distancing measures in place for those students who must attend in person.

LU isn’t the only school with students still on campus. Other colleges have a small number of students (mostly international) that they’re accommodating because when the schools were dismissed they couldn’t leave, and had nowhere to go.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Caribbean > LUCOM

Reactions: 1 user
The campus is open because liberty has a large number of international students (missionary kids) who could not return home due to travel restrictions because of COVID 19. There are approximately 1,100 students still on campus, staying in the dorms and attending classes online.

The VDH visited last week and approved of all the measures being taken for proper social distancing in areas they could not close, like food service (take out only, 10 person rule enforced). The gyms and recreational areas are all closed. LU owns a hotel they plan to use if students need to be quarantined beyond the dorms.

The medical school (LUCOM) has moved online, and makes its decisions independent of LU main campus. The only programs at LU right now that have in person components are aviation and nursing, and they’ve put social distancing measures in place for those students who must attend in person.

LU isn’t the only school with students still on campus. Other colleges have a small number of students (mostly international) that they’re accommodating because when the schools were dismissed they couldn’t leave, and had nowhere to go.

I understand what you're saying, but all of these measures were taken AFTER the state stepped in and told the Dean he cannot keep the campus open. He was fighting and arguing with state officials to keep schools completely open and not enforce social distancing at first. Also, the situation you say is present NATIONWIDE in terms of international students. Schools have told students to evacuate campus, but those who are international and have nowhere to go can stay. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

Reactions: 5 users
The Dean flat out said campus is to stay OPEN amidst this outbreak, even defying state law. The state FORCED him to close campus and make classes be online, and he has still insisted on keeping the campus open:

Edit: Second article I just found today on Yahoo:

Yikes.

To any premeds out there... DO NOT go to this school. Guh.

Reactions: 1 users
They are praying the virus away

• Dislike
And it just keeps getting better:

(from today's www.electoral-vote.com):

Liberty University Has Become a Flashpoint
Colleges and universities all over the country (and the world) have shut down their campuses, sent the students home, and gone to online instruction. With many videoconferencing tools available these days, that seems to be working pretty well in many places. One university that is marching to its own drummer is Liberty University, a Christian college in Lynchburg, VA, which is run by Jerry Falwell Jr. He ordered all the students to come back to the campus and stay in their dorms, even though instruction itself is online.

The students were scattered to the winds during spring break and no doubt some have been infected by the coronavirus. Now the campus has 16,000 petri dishes in close proximity, so the virus is sure to spread. To make it worse, professors have been ordered to hold face-to-face office hours, as though everyone was back to business as usual. If a professor wants to work from home (which is now the norm at practically every other university in the country), he or she has to submit a request, with an explanation, to the department chair, who then runs it up the chain of command, probably to Falwell himself in many cases.

Lynchburg is a small city (Pop. 76,000) and students are not confined to campus. They can come and go as they please and interact with people who live in town, go shopping in stores that are open, and generally spread the virus wherever they go. The people who live in Lynchburg are none too pleased with this development and fear that the whole city could become a COVID-19 hotspot and people could die.

The university's website claims that when Falwell told the Lynchburg mayor and city manager about his decision to have students return to campus, "they thanked us for making that decision." An intrepid reporter for Politico figured that statement should not be too hard to check, so he emailed the city manager, Bonnie Svrcek. She replied: "The city unequivocally does not agree with Falwell's decision." The reporter also checked with Mayor Treney Tweedy. She replied: "I want the residents in this community to know that at no time did I or the City Manager endorse having the students return to Liberty University's campus." It is possible that Falwell is still scoring 90% on the Ten Commandments, so an "A-" is still in reach.

People will die because of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
are LUCOM students allowed to have pre-marital sex now? I think that was a change in 2019 or so

I would be killed on sight at this school.

I went to my 8am quizzes in pajamas (including a t-shirt) with flip flops - plaid red bottoms and solid black top - and occasionally played games on my school-issued laptop during the instruction portion of the session.

I feel like I might spontaneously combust if I break any more of their rules.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I would be killed on sight at this school.

I went to my 8am quizzes in pajamas (including a t-shirt) with flip flops - plaid red bottoms and solid black top - and occasionally played games on my school-issued laptop during the instruction portion of the session.

I feel like I might spontaneously combust if I break any more of their rules.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::=|:-):

No. The College of Osteopathic General Conduct Standards do not replace the Liberty Way (see above).
Students are required to know and adhere to both the COMs General Conduct Standards and The Liberty Way.
The Liberty Way is a fun euphemism for "gay people are icky"

1585852139227.png

So, do they just not have a repro course or what?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
And it just keeps getting better:

(from today's www.electoral-vote.com):

Liberty University Has Become a Flashpoint
Colleges and universities all over the country (and the world) have shut down their campuses, sent the students home, and gone to online instruction. With many videoconferencing tools available these days, that seems to be working pretty well in many places. One university that is marching to its own drummer is Liberty University, a Christian college in Lynchburg, VA, which is run by Jerry Falwell Jr. He ordered all the students to come back to the campus and stay in their dorms, even though instruction itself is online.

The students were scattered to the winds during spring break and no doubt some have been infected by the coronavirus. Now the campus has 16,000 petri dishes in close proximity, so the virus is sure to spread. To make it worse, professors have been ordered to hold face-to-face office hours, as though everyone was back to business as usual. If a professor wants to work from home (which is now the norm at practically every other university in the country), he or she has to submit a request, with an explanation, to the department chair, who then runs it up the chain of command, probably to Falwell himself in many cases.

Lynchburg is a small city (Pop. 76,000) and students are not confined to campus. They can come and go as they please and interact with people who live in town, go shopping in stores that are open, and generally spread the virus wherever they go. The people who live in Lynchburg are none too pleased with this development and fear that the whole city could become a COVID-19 hotspot and people could die.

The university's website claims that when Falwell told the Lynchburg mayor and city manager about his decision to have students return to campus, "they thanked us for making that decision." An intrepid reporter for Politico figured that statement should not be too hard to check, so he emailed the city manager, Bonnie Svrcek. She replied: "The city unequivocally does not agree with Falwell's decision." The reporter also checked with Mayor Treney Tweedy. She replied: "I want the residents in this community to know that at no time did I or the City Manager endorse having the students return to Liberty University's campus." It is possible that Falwell is still scoring 90% on the Ten Commandments, so an "A-" is still in reach.

People will die because of this.
For someone interested in a career in medicine, one would have thought you would have done better research. This source has many errors, and is poor journalism.
1. Falwell did not order students back, students were given an option to return if they felt it was safest for themselves or their families. The actual number of students returning was around 1500, not even 10% of the student body. Many of these were international students who could not leave anyways, because of travel restrictions to their home countries.
2. Again, not 16,000 petri dishes as the article states, since not even a tenth of students returned, and many of these were off campus students who are already residents of Lynchburg regardless if the campus opened back up or not.
3. Professors are all working from home at Liberty right now, in addition to many other staff including financial aid and admissions personnel.
4. They even got the population of Lynchburg wrong, it hasn't been 76,000 for quite a few years.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
For someone interested in a career in medicine, one would have thought you would have done better research. This source has many errors, and is poor journalism.
1. Falwell did not order students back, students were given an option to return if they felt it was safest for themselves or their families. The actual number of students returning was around 1500, not even 10% of the student body. Many of these were international students who could not leave anyways, because of travel restrictions to their home countries.
2. Again, not 16,000 petri dishes as the article states, since not even a tenth of students returned, and many of these were off campus students who are already residents of Lynchburg regardless if the campus opened back up or not.
3. Professors are all working from home at Liberty right now, in addition to many other staff including financial aid and admissions personnel.
4. They even got the population of Lynchburg wrong, it hasn't been 76,000 for quite a few years.

You're missing the point. The campus should be CLOSED. period. 16,000 students is still 16,000 students, even if its 1/10 of the student population, THAT IS still 16,000 "petri dishes" who can pass the infection to one another and in the community. We'll let the readers decide for themselves, but like Goro said, you guys can do better than this. You don't want to be in a school or a community where the Dean has his own political biases interjected into the way the school functions.

• Love
You're missing the point. The campus should be CLOSED. period. 16,000 students is still 16,000 students, even if its 1/10 of the student population, THAT IS still 16,000 "petri dishes" who can pass the infection to one another and in the community. We'll let the readers decide for themselves, but like Goro said, you guys can do better than this. You don't want to be in a school or a community where the Dean has his own political biases interjected into the way the school functions.
Last sentence should actually read: you don't want to be in a school or a community where the Dean has his own political biases interjected in such a way that it endangers the health of others.

I think you still missed the point. You have a duty to the truth, and most of the articles floating around are misleading or downright false. But, as a scientist, you could easily discern this if you took the time to do your own investigation, rather than letting your own biases lead you to believe what is false.
As a resident of the state of Virginia, Liberty's decision to offer its campus as a shelter to a few students who otherwise would have been at much higher risk (in their home states or countries) is the least of Virginia's health concerns. Liberty got a bad rap for this, while other universities in Virginia allowed students to return or remain on campus, but very little was said about this. In fact, a Radford University student returned from spring break and brought coronavirus to the surrounding community (Radford student tests positive for coronavirus after spring break travel).
I would encourage you to look into multiple sides of this issue, rather than just letting your biases carry you to a conclusion about the school that may be unfounded or that may be based upon misleading or false journalism.

covid.jpg

Interesting infographic that I saw.
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still having trouble understanding the impact this has on LUCOM. While LUCOM is tied to Liberty, and shares the same President, LUCOM has its own Dean, Admissions board, and Financial Aid office which make decisions independently of the undergraduate campus. Furthermore, LUCOM decided to move to primarily online instruction in response to COVID19 long before the undergraduate campus decided to.

Last edited:
View attachment 301643
Interesting infographic that I saw.
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still having trouble understanding the impact this has on LUCOM. While LUCOM is tied to Liberty, and shares the same President, LUCOM has its own Dean, Admissions board, and Financial Aid office which make decisions independently of the undergraduate campus. Furthermore, LUCOM decided to move to primarily online instruction in response to COVID19 long before the undergraduate campus decided to.
Immoral behavior is immoral behavior. I don't care that the med school is "separate" from the parent school..Jerry Jr is an evil man, and this is in the same boat as how I can’t recommend Penn State given how their parent body protected a child molester for decades.

And for LUCOM overall? I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

I am attending LUO for my Master's degree in Executive Leadership and actually very pleased with how my online courses are going.

Different strokes I guess..

Jerry Jr is the gift that keeps on giving:

The apple didn't fall far from the tree, clearly.

Immoral behavior is immoral behavior. I don't care that the med school is "separate" from the parent school..Jerry Jr is an evil man, and this is in the same boat as how I can’t recommend Penn State given how their parent body protected a child molester for decades.

And for LUCOM overall? I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

I don't think that you have the story quite right. A lot of people here bash LUCOM because of their own personal biases. Let me ask you this--if someone's father is a criminal, will you judge their children with a biased view? LUCOM student life is very much isolated from the undergrad campus stereotypes since we live off campus. But, it's true, we do need to conceal drinking from faculty, and there is a dress code. Just like there would be at a job. That's really where it ends. The faculty does not twist facts pertaining to medicine. The few times that any sort of religious twist shows up are so few and far between that I consider it a non issue, and it is never in a situation so as to obscure a fact. I don't know where this rumor has come from. Let's say that a prof wants to pray for a minute before a lecture, so what? It's not that terrible of a thing, and, in a way, it's sort of nice. Some students here are religious, and that's their right. I would trust a majority of them over some other unprincipled **** heads. I am willing to bet that our student body has a tighter knit culture than most other med schools--that's the feeling I got when I had my interview, and that's how it's been so far. We have Christians, Muslims, Jewish, and atheists here and in no way does that personal choice negatively affect anyone, regardless of their stance. All are free to participate how they choose. Many do choose LUCOM because of it's religiosity. I was not one of them. The only thing I wish is that Jerry would get his **** together. Jesus (ha!) what a rant. But get your ****ing facts right, and don't be so quick to judge people you've never met.

Someone's gotta set this record straight, and you're not helping.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
I'm sure they do. But if anyone rats you out for any violations they fine you monetarily, whether it be watching an R-rated movie or having your fiance sleep over. It's legitimately dystopian
For real? What is this madness?

I'm sure they do. But if anyone rats you out for any violations they fine you monetarily, whether it be watching an R-rated movie or having your fiance sleep over. It's legitimately dystopian

If I have to pay LU to sleep with my fiance, does that mean I can sue LU for operating a prostitution scheme?

• Haha
I don't think that you have the story quite right. A lot of people here bash LUCOM because of their own personal biases. Let me ask you this--if someone's father is a criminal, will you judge their children with a biased view? LUCOM student life is very much isolated from the undergrad campus stereotypes since we live off campus. But, it's true, we do need to conceal drinking from faculty, and there is a dress code. Just like there would be at a job. That's really where it ends. The faculty does not twist facts pertaining to medicine. The few times that any sort of religious twist shows up are so few and far between that I consider it a non issue, and it is never in a situation so as to obscure a fact. I don't know where this rumor has come from. Let's say that a prof wants to pray for a minute before a lecture, so what? It's not that terrible of a thing, and, in a way, it's sort of nice. Some students here are religious, and that's their right. I would trust a majority of them over some other unprincipled **** heads. I am willing to bet that our student body has a tighter knit culture than most other med schools--that's the feeling I got when I had my interview, and that's how it's been so far. We have Christians, Muslims, Jewish, and atheists here and in no way does that personal choice negatively affect anyone, regardless of their stance. All are free to participate how they choose. Many do choose LUCOM because of it's religiosity. I was not one of them. The only thing I wish is that Jerry would get his **** together. Jesus (ha!) what a rant. But get your ****ing facts right, and don't be so quick to judge people you've never met.

Stop projecting. I have no ill will towards LUCOM students, only your administration. And my complaints are not with your religion, only the politics of Jerry Jr and his ilk. To that end, in no way can I recommend LUCOM to any prospective medical student.

Stop projecting. I have no ill will towards LUCOM students, only your administration. And my complaints are not with your religion, only the politics of Jerry Jr and his ilk. To that end, in no way can I recommend LUCOM to any prospective medical student.

It's not exactly nice to read people talking **** about your school. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. At the least, try not to spread falsities about things you have no proof of. I'd think at your point in your career you'd be beyond that. The politics of Jerry and LUCOM, though connected, are not one in the same- for what ever little that may be worth to you.

I think the big take away is don't spread falsehood. If you're inclined to think negatively about LUCOM, do the extra work to find if your thoughts are based on facts or completely unfounded. If you have a problem with the general guidelines for students that LUCOM provides, don't go there, but don't get that confused for the quality of medical education that LUCOM provides.

Ok, so if we can't agree on the quality of "muh education", what about PD perception to LUCOM's graduates come match?
If you talk to people in the med community you'll find these qualms are universal.

It's not exactly nice to read people talking **** about your school. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. At the least, try not to spread falsities about things you have no proof of. I'd think at your point in your career you'd be beyond that. The politics of Jerry and LUCOM, though connected, are not one in the same- for what ever little that may be worth to you.
I'll go with with what the NYT has to say on the topic. And for me, Jerry benefits from the med school, so they are one in the same. Stop projecting.

Whoa, guys. You're really telling me a school ignorant in science is doing ignorant things? Liberty is a travesty and shut be down. Move all med students to these new class expansions at other schools

• Love

I'm gonna be honest with you. I am a MSBS student at LU. I'm a Christian, and conservative. I interviewed at LUCOM. I did my undergrad at LU. The med school is not isolated. It is next to campus, it is very much Christian. If you are low key, and respectful you will be fine. Wanna drink? Who cares, no one is gonna hunt you down off-campus. Be respectful to the Christian faith and you won't be bothered. Many non-Christians attend LU. If you can't put your attitudes towards conservatives aside, you probably shouldn't attend because you will want to pull your hair out. I am not personally a huge fan of Jerry Jr., but he certainly doesn't represent the student body with his blunt statements. I just want to let everyone know, LUCOM is not separate from LU like some say. Sure, LUCOM has a culture of its own, but it is for sure still a part of LU as a whole. I personally see this as a good thing and an attraction to some incoming OMS-1 students. Personally, I highly recommend people attend. It is a beautiful school, and I have enjoyed my time there, but don't be fooled into thinking LUCOM is a secular, anti-God, liberal institution. It is not.

Also, LU has more of a big school atmosphere than most private medical schools. Good athletics, beautiful campus, faculty truly care about you, and the building is beautiful. If anyone wants a more in-depth explanation about details pertaining to the university, please PM me.

Edit: For clarity, I want to assure everyone I am non-biased towards LUCOM specifically. I am attending a different medical school 8 hours away from LU. I do recommend people attend more established schools when possible, but LUCOM is still a nice school with a lot to offer for a new program.

Its especially wierd with a fiancee that you intend to marry. Even in Islam some people will live with their husband/wife when the wedding has just passed the first stage ("Nikah" ) and is not complete (Muslim weddings have multiple stages).

Its especially wierd with a fiancee that you intend to marry. Even in Islam some people will live with their husband/wife when the wedding has just passed the first stage ("Nikah" ) and is not complete (Muslim weddings have multiple stages).
I would guess since the United States does not strictly adhere to the Muslim definition of marriage, LUCOM and many other medical schools would define marriage along federal guidelines for what a marriage is: namely, having a marriage license that has been certified by at least two witnesses and recognized by the state or county governing authorities.

"[...] open letter signed by 36 prominent African-American alumni, including several National Football League players. “Your statements hurt the ability of Liberty alumni to obtain jobs and have a voice in the culture. Having the school’s name on a résumé can be a liability to many of our graduates.”

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
  • Haha
  • Haha