A doctor is a doctor, right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish DOs were more competitive. I really wanted to be a DO, but I wanted to be competitive more. I'm sort of jealous of people going to DO schools. The grass is always greener, I suppose.
What made Osteopathic Medicine particularly attractive to you?

Members don't see this ad.

What made Osteopathic Medicine particularly attractive to you?

The fact that they get the same training as MDs as well as OMM. I think that makes them superior in some situations and equal in others.

The fact that they get the same training as MDs as well as OMM. I think that makes them superior in some situations and equal in others.
I like the idea of being able administer therapy whenever I may need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are on four waitlists, chances are good that you will ultimately land at least one acceptance. If not, then go to the DO school. A very small percentage of MDs may look down on you, but the vast majority will not.

One caveat: if you want to do a very competitive specialty, such as dermatology or radiology, it might be wise to reapply to MD schools next cycle.

Good luck.

-Bill
Meh. It's not impossible, at all, to get a low-tier radiology (diagnostic) position as a DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Meh. It's not impossible, at all, to get a low-tier radiology (diagnostic) position as a DO.

I didn't say it was impossible. I just said it would be preferable to go the MD route. You can still match rads as a DO, but you might end up in a program you don't like or one that is in the middle of nowhere. Even with excellent board scores, you just won't have the same options as your MD counterparts.

It's unfortunate and not necessarily fair. I just think it's something that future physicians should be aware of.

-Bill

That is not entirely true.

There is no disadvantage in terms of one's daily experience as a physician. However, many DOs in private practice do get asked about their title fairly often. It shouldn't be a major issue, but it is something future DOs should be prepared for.

-Bill
What's your 'n' to make this statement? I've only been asked about and then explained my degree, since starting residency, probably 2 times. I can vividly remember the one patient.

Now, if I'm going to refer someone to the OMT clinic, that's a different story. "You may have seen there are MDs and DOs in this office. The DOs, like myself, get extra training with regard to the MSK system while in medical school. If you want, we can bring you back and try to help your MSK pain in another way. We use some of the same techniques physical therapy, massage and chiropractics use with the benefit of us being able to screen, diagnose and treat you while managing all your other medical problems."

This isn't burdensome. I don't mind it in the least if I think OMT will help a patient (and I get to write one less scheduled med script).

What's your 'n' to make this statement? I've only been asked about and then explained my degree, since starting residency, probably 2 times. I can vividly remember the one patient.

Now, if I'm going to refer someone to the OMT clinic, that's a different story. "You may have seen there are MDs and DOs in this office. The DOs, like myself, get extra training with regard to the MSK system while in medical school. If you want, we can bring you back and try to help your MSK pain in another way. We use some of the same techniques physical therapy, massage and chiropractics use with the benefit of us being able to screen, diagnose and treat you while managing all your other medical problems."

This isn't burdensome. I don't mind it in the least if I think OMT will help a patient (and I get to write one less scheduled med script).
What field are you in, Dr? If you don't mind.

That was just my experience shadowing and what I have heard from my wife and cousin (both DOs). Obviously it depends on the setting. My cousin didn't get asked very often at all when she was working in a large hospital. Since she joined a group practice, however, she says she answers that question "all the time."

I shadowed two DOs. Both were asked about their degree at one point during the fifty hours or so I spent in their respective offices.

Again - I don't think that should deter anyone from pursuing a career as a DO. It was just something that I hadn't expected based on what I read on SDN.

-Bill

hahahah yeah no
The theory behind OMM is useless crap and I've never seen a DO use it. I met a DO ophthamology resident a while ago. Do you think he massages the retina? hahahahaha

That is not entirely true.

There is no disadvantage in terms of one's daily experience as a physician. However, many DOs in private practice do get asked about their title fairly often. It shouldn't be a major issue, but it is something future DOs should be prepared for.

-Bill

Really?

hahahah yeah no
The theory behind OMM is useless crap and I've never seen a DO use it. I met a DO ophthamology resident a while ago. Do you think he massages the retina? hahahahaha

I've never seen a patient specifically referred to an MD. I have seen patients specifically referred to DOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that you are throwing away 200k+ in opportunity cost if you toss out that DO acceptance, should you receive it and decline attending. That isn't exactly chump change.

I've never seen a patient specifically referred to an MD. I have seen patients specifically referred to DOs.

For being a DO? No you haven't. People get referred to doctors because of reputation and medical ability, not because they learned how to massage someone.

For being a DO? No you haven't. People get referred to doctors because of reputation and medical ability, not because they learned how to massage someone.

We specifically referred a patient to a DO for OMM. Believe it or not.

Who is "we"? And how did "patients" become "a patient"?

No need to nit pick. The point stands. I work in ERs and urgency rooms.

My stepfather is an MD and he really thinks I should get an MD degree too. For the most part, I've been heeding his advice. In his words, if I get a DO degree I'll always live with a "chip on my shoulder." That I'll always be a little looked down upon.

Even so, I've done my research. I understand that DOs may have a tougher time competing for more competitive specialties but that doesn't mean they are completely unable to get them. And I understand that I'll probably have to jump through more hoops (i.e. taking two different kind of board exams). But, after meeting osteopathic medical students and hearing from some physicians that "they've met great DOs in the field who do just as great a job and sometimes even better in their respective fields" it really doesn't seem like there is all that much difference. A doctor is a doctor, right?

This current cycle I've gotten 5MD interviews (currently on 4 of their wait lists and have yet to hear back from one post interview) and 1DO interview. I scheduled the DO interview for next month (the latest date I possibly could) so that if I don't get accepted MD I sort of have my backup. I really have nothing against DO schools but my stepfather really seems to think I should do MD. My stepfather doesn't even think I should really go to that interview and that I should reapply next year rather than going DO.

I feel a little guilty. I like the DO school that I'm interviewing at (will probably know more about how much I like it after interviewing) but if it comes down to it, and this is the only school I get accepted to, will I go? I'm just not sure. I want to go but I feel like I'm disappointing my stepfather, so maybe I shouldn't.

I think the guilt stems from holding the interview spot and not being completely sure that I will want to go there. There are probably lots of people who would want that spot so maybe I should just give up the spot to someone who wants it more? I like the school, I really just want to be a doctor and don't mind if it's DO but at the same time I don't want to disappoint my stepfather.

If he's paying, respect his wishes. If he's not—do whatever works for you. I paid for one of my children's tuition, room and board at a Caribbean med school, but refused to pay a penny for a non-MD school. I'm biased based upon forty years experience as an MD, and when it comes to money—mine, and how I spend it—the choice resides with me.

Last edited:
hahahah yeah no

I was surprised to see a comment like this from you. I generally respect what you post and tend to agree with most of what you say.

I'm assuming you're a DO student to have a substantial knowledge of what OMM entails in medical school?

Putting that aside, obviously an optho isn't going to use OMM. No DO that I've encountered has ever argued anything like that. Just like an anesthesia resident isn't going to use his OB/Gyn knowledge and a pathologist isn't going to rely on his psych block or rotation heavily.

There are thousands of DOs that use OMM, whether or not you agree with its practice, and using your n=1 story provides no support for or against it.

Well I'm not a homeopathic student and I think that's a load of crock too. Maybe I was a little rude but I've read some literature and I asked my PCP what she thought about OMM and she didn't think it was legit either. She's a DO. Just because I'm not a DO student doesn't mean I can't look at it critically.

If you are on four waitlists, chances are good that you will ultimately land at least one acceptance. If not, then go to the DO school. A very small percentage of MDs may look down on you, but the vast majority will not.

One caveat: if you want to do a very competitive specialty, such as dermatology or radiology, it might be wise to reapply to MD schools next cycle.

Good luck.

-Bill

What about surgical specialties? I may be interested in going into some type of surgery (urology or general maybe). Are these difficult to match to from the DO route as well?

Ask him if he has a chip on his shoulder for being your mom's consolation prize.

Anyway, I'm going to be a DO and have no chip on my shoulder. I look forward to the day I put my education on the line to school an ignorant MD. Who knows. Maybe it's just easier for me to be DO because I'm a minority and already deal with that like it's nothing.

I feel the same way, brotha. I just matched and I get this strange happy underdog vibe every time I think about when I'll finally get my DO degree. There's something about 4 years of medical school that makes me (or mostly all other medical students MD or DO) care so little about anything related to this MD vs DO nonsense. This is typically a pre-med issue. Once, your in residency, there is so much other **** to worry about.

One caveat, as above posters mentioned, if you are hell bent on a competitive speciality, then go MD if you can.

hahahah yeah no

Massage the retina? That would be one hell of a massage.

I think your referring to an ocular massage.

If you want, we can bring you back and try to help your MSK pain in another way.
There has to be a better way of phrasing "I can help you...in another way..." I can't be the only one whose mind went there, right? Anyone?

I'm mature and ready to be a physician, okay.