A few questions about medical school.

WesP1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a few questions involving medical school and what to do before medical school.

*Note I'm only a Junior in highschool.

Questions I have:
- What should I do to better prepare myself ahead of time?
- Is it easy to get into medical school?
- Would a Masters degree before Medical school be too much?
- How should I familiarize myself with the medical field?
- Should I volunteer in a hospital environment now?
- What kinds of things make it easier to get into medical school? I.E Good grades, community service ect?
- Is it best to get a degree such a a bachelors before going into medical school, or apply to go straight into medical school?

EDIT:
I put in a new question in red that is really important!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a few questions involving medical school and what to do before medical school.

Questions I have:
- What kinds of things make it easier to get into medical school? I.E Good grades, community service ect?

Thanks!

1. Do nothing to specifically prepare yourself. Just do well in high school to get into a decent college. Then in college study what you're passionate about. Doesn't have to be science necessarily. Just work hard and prepare your mind to learn efficiently and think critically.

2. If you are smart enough to get into a decent college, you are smart enough to get into medical school. IMO, medical school admission comes down to how much you are willing to sacrifice and work, not raw intelligence. I'm not the smartest person ever, but I'm willing to work extra hard and make up for my deficits, which means I have to sacrifice in other parts of my life. as such i succeed.

3. A masters can be used to study something that you are really interested in that you may not get a chance to study again after medical school. A masters can also be used to strengthen weak points in your application. In either case it's not a bad idea, unless your getting a masters just so you can have the longest string of letters behind your name.

4. Spend a couple days shadowing. At this point you don't need anything crazy. Just find a local doctor to shadow for a bit.

1. Do nothing to specifically prepare yourself. Just do well in high school to get into a decent college. Then in college study what you're passionate about. Doesn't have to be science necessarily. Just work hard and prepare your mind to learn efficiently and think critically.

2. If you are smart enough to get into a decent college, you are smart enough to get into medical school. IMO, medical school admission comes down to how much you are willing to sacrifice and work, not raw intelligence. I'm not the smartest person ever, but I'm willing to work extra hard and make up for my deficits, which means I have to sacrifice in other parts of my life. as such i succeed.

3. A masters can be used to study something that you are really interested in that you may not get a chance to study again after medical school. A masters can also be used to strengthen weak points in your application. In either case it's not a bad idea, unless your getting a masters just so you can have the longest string of letters behind your name.

4. Spend a couple days shadowing. At this point you don't need anything crazy. Just find a local doctor to shadow for a bit.

Thank you for your help, you eased my mind a bit! I will definitely try to shadow a local doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering early and continuing it long term is actually a good idea.

To answer another one of your questions, it's required to have a bachelors degree to apply to med school.
Also, great grades/MCAT score are essential, community service and extracurriculars while in college are needed. (High school ones won't count, btw)

Volunteering early and continuing it long term is actually a good idea.

To answer another one of your questions, it's required to have a bachelors degree to apply to med school.
Also, great grades/MCAT score are essential, community service and extracurriculars while in college are needed. (High school ones won't count, btw)

Okay, I think I might still do them for experience. Thanks for your help!

- Is it best to get a degree such a a bachelors before going into medical school, or apply to go straight into medical school?
!

Are you in the United states? If so, getting a bachelors is required for entrance into medical school. Most people apply during their 4th year of college after having taken the MCATs. You are not required to graduate before applying - but it is assumed that you will finish the bachelors you are currently in.

I would also like to add that while you can study whatever you enjoy in college, you still must finish all the basic pre-requisite courses for med school to apply, courses like General Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Organic Chemistry, Calculus.

Alright thanks again for your help! I am going to try to take either AP Chem or AP Bio next year so I' prepared for those in college.

also ap psychology is now a pre-requisite (Gen Psych) so if you haven't already might as well add that to your list

There are BS/MD programs (such as University of Florida or University of Miami), where you obtain both degrees in 6 years of study (and are awarded a BS partway through medical school). Most of the programs don't require too high of an ACT/SAT score to apply (most around 30-33 for ACT). This can be a good option if you know you'd like to go to medical school and live in an area that offers one.

Otherwise, just focus on getting into a good college. When you start college, you will have academic advisors to help you plan out your four years of school. You can also purchase books with the requirements of all US medical schools and advice about how to make yourself competitive.

Questions I have:

EDIT:
I put in a new question in red that is really important!

Thanks!
- Nothing. Focus on your current classes and get high marks.
- No, but attainable. Have a solid GPA/MCAT, and have time for extracurriculars, etc.
- No. I'm working on my MS now at a medical school.
- Read. Plenty of info on the internet and at the book store. IMO, advisors aren't worth the time of day.
- It wouldn't hurt, but you're better off waiting until college.
- Social ability, empathy, high marks, etc.
- Yes. Most medical schools require you to have at least a bachelor's degree prior to matriculation. You may major in whatever you like as long as you complete your medical school prerequisites (bio, chem, ochem, physics, math, english).