A few questions for anyone who has interviewed at NSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the phil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am scheduled to interview at Nova on the 24th. Is anyone willing to share their interview experience? Was it open or closed file and what kind of questions are asked (i.e. more personal or grilling about current events)? Also, any positive experiences with airlines and hotels would be great. Anyone else interviewing on the 24th and flying from California? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

the phil said:
Hi, I am scheduled to interview at Nova on the 24th. Is anyone willing to share their interview experience? Was it open or closed file and what kind of questions are asked (i.e. more personal or grilling about current events)? Also, any positive experiences with airlines and hotels would be great. Anyone else interviewing on the 24th and flying from California? Thanks a lot!

Check out the Med School interview feedback here on SDN, link is on the home page.

the phil said:

Hey there, I just interviewed on the 23rd of Aug. It was open file and it was a group interview. I had three interviewers, each with about 2 or 3 questions. Because I had a life after college, most of my questions were about how it is I came to be there that day...nothing really about why I want to be a doctor, but more why is it that I'm doing this now and not before, or one might presume for younger canidates, later. There were the obvious questions of what's the difference between DO and MD. They don't really try to trip you up. Read the experiences on SDN....it didn't deviate much at all from what other people have written about.

I flew Delta out of LAX for a couple of hundred dollars and stayed at the Best Western. Take their number with you since you'll have to call them to pick you up if you aren't renting a car. Don't rely on finding the Rolling Hill's number at the airport....or at least I couldn't find it. Good thing I printed out my reservation and had a way to call from a pay phone since I got rid of my cell phone.

Good luck, and let them see the real you...make sure that you leave the interivew with a feeling that they know who you are and why you want to be there.

I'll second the reading the interview feedback...it was invaluable.

As for the interviews mine last year was really easy going and fun. In fact, I still talk to the professors that interviewed me as they are some of my first year teachers or around.

They asked pretty vauge getting to know you type of questions and try and see what your made out of. Like I said my interview felt easy but the girl after me felt like they drilled her. Oh...yeah she made it in as well so I guess they couldn't have drilled her too bad.

I know last year they were suppose to be 15 minute interviews (mine ended up being 40) but they changed the interview format this year and I am not sure whats going on there on if it is the same length or not. Personally, come on down, check out the school (its beautiful) and don't be afraid to talk to M2 or M1s about the school and why they chose it. I have two fun fun tests this week (thanks francis!) but so far I'm pretty damn happy with my choice.

P.S. no joke I also told them I hate cold weather in my interview....I don't suggest this but I did it cause it was the truth for me. I actually have a better attitude and better attention in warm sunny climates. The funny part is we talked about living in Florida and the benefits and such around the area and made my interview so much fun....

point is....NSU likes you enough to have you come by for lunch and a chat....come see what there is to offer and if its a place you'd like. Each school has its pluses and minues and its up to you to see where you fit. I picked here over several other medical school and I am pleased so far.