A good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunz580

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to take the MCAT's after my first year of pre-med to get a feel for the test, or would the low score be detrimental? Any input would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT take the test just for practice. Some med schools average your MCAT scores instead of taking the highest cumulative score. So if you score poorly it could really hurt you. If you want to get a feel for the test, do a practice test online or purchase one from AAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I want to echo the previous posters. Taking the real MCAT "just for practice" is such a bad idea that it always astounds me that so many people continue to ask here about doing it. Would you want to take the medical boards before you have completed your medical school classes? Of course not. Likewise, do not take short cuts to your pre-medical preparation. The schedule is designed the way that it is for a reason. First, you should complete all four pre-req courses (a year each of biology, chemistry, organic, and physics). Then, you should take a few months (two to six, with most people taking two or three) to study. Ideally, you should only take the MCAT once, and only after you are properly prepared.