A good read before starting intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomalii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I just wanted to be prepared since I hear residencies in general have a sharp learning curve. What do you suggest to read to have a good working fund of knowledge? I was also told to practice sutures and knot tying as well as getting and presenting a concise H&P.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone mentioned the Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics to me. I got the book and have read some of it and found it to be a helpful, concise, and well-organized review. I was planning on reading it a month or so before starting my intern year.

seriously, you are going to be reading/dreaming/eating/sleeping OB/GYN for the next four years. you probably at this point know what you need to know to be successful in intern year. you won't gain much by starting to study now. i highly recommend you leave OB reading till then and read/do something you like. you've matched! now is your time for your last hurrah!

seriously, you are going to be reading/dreaming/eating/sleeping OB/GYN for the next four years. you probably at this point know what you need to know to be successful in intern year. you won't gain much by starting to study now. i highly recommend you leave OB reading till then and read/do something you like. you've matched! now is your time for your last hurrah!

I agree with lulubean. Enjoy the time off, load up on your sleep and enjoy yourself. If you really have a burning desire to read, then the Hopkins Manual, the Red Book, or Danforth will all do. Since most OB/GYN residencies are obstetrics heavy, focus your reading on practical subjects including: steps in cesarean delivery (look at an atlas), basic obstetrical ultrasound (AFI, BPP, EFW), FHR monitoring, management of PTL/Preeclampsia/diabetes.

Best of luck and congrats on matching!