A great talk on student debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SrJulio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel free to take a break from your application and reflect on the debt you have accumulated so far (if none, luky you :) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
lol not even going to click.

Nothing will change until the govt stops giving money away so easily.

Mark Cuban wants to cap student debt at $30k. That would change things quickly.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing will change until the govt stops giving money away so easily.

Mark Cuban wants to cap student debt at $30k. That would change things quickly.

Do we really need a military budget that is more than the next 6,7 countries combined? Do we really need to give tax cuts to the top 1 percent? Our student debt problem can be solved, it is just that politicians we elected don't represent us.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do we really need a military budget that is more than the next 6,7 countries combined?
Only if we want to continue being the world police! No comment on student debt in general though, lol.

Do we really need a military budget that is more than the next 6,7 countries combined? Do we really need to give tax cuts to the top 1 percent? Our student debt problem can be solved, it is just that politicians we elected don't represent us.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well keep in mind that our military budget is for more than just wars and fighting- they have, for example, given dental schools research grants for many things. In 2007, UConn Dental received a major Department of Defense grant to study the repair of skeletal injuries.

Furthermore, a large part of the military budget is for pensions + benefits that have been promised to veterans who served this country. This is already being cut though (see the 2016 National Defense Authorization Act).

Really, the things in the military budget that need to be cut are the next-gen $100M+ equipment that we just don't need and, maybe, some of our overseas military bases..

As for tax cuts for the top 1%, I am a proponent of the Fair Tax- why do we penalize people who work hard, or are creative and come up with excellent ideas by making them pay more of their income?

I'd be willing to settle for a flat tax rate as well.

But I don't think the top 1% deserve to be targeted just because they have been successful.

Last edited:
Those F-35s costed a fortune and are complete BS. They spilled over 1.5 TRLLION dollars into these things.

Reactions: 1 users
Really, the things in the military budget that need to be cut are the next-gen $100M+ equipment that we just don't need
Good thing we still have the A10-hog. 'Merica.

Well keep in mind that our military budget is for more than just wars and fighting- they have, for example, given dental schools research grants for many things. In 2007, UConn Dental received a major Department of Defense grant to study the repair of skeletal injuries.

Furthermore, a large part of the military budget is for pensions + benefits that have been promised to veterans who served this country. This is already being cut though (see the 2016 National Defense Authorization Act).

Really, the things in the military budget that need to be cut are the next-gen $100M+ equipment that we just don't need and, maybe, some of our overseas military bases..

We should also look at foreign aid and reassess that.

As for tax cuts for the top 1%, I am a proponent of the Fair Tax- why do we penalize people who work hard, or are creative and come up with excellent ideas by making them pay more of their income?

I'd be willing to settle for a flat tax rate as well.

But I don't think the top 1% deserve to be targeted just because they have been successful.

Foreign aid is less than 1% of our federal budget, just saying.

Foreign aid is less than 1% of our federal budget, just saying.

I was unaware of that- thank you for bringing it to my attention!