A- in Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentm92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C- in Gen Chem I freshman year and now, as a senior, I just finished retaking it. I don't have my official final grade yet, but I'm like 95% sure it's gonna be an A-. Is this going to be a big deal when I send out my application in June? I got a 25 on the Gen Chem section of my DAT, so it's obvious that I understand the material. But it seems like that might make things even worse. I mean, it's just half a letter grade (my school doesn't do A+), so my gut tells me it's really a non-issue, but I thought it might be good to get some outside input. Also, like I said, I'm about 95% sure of my grade, but, in the event that the 5% chance becomes a reality, would a B+ significantly change how this whole situation is perceived?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a C- in Gen Chem I freshman year and now, as a senior, I just finished retaking it. I don't have my official final grade yet, but I'm like 95% sure it's gonna be an A-. Is this going to be a big deal when I send out my application in June? I got a 25 on the Gen Chem section of my DAT, so it's obvious that I understand the material. But it seems like that might make things even worse. I mean, it's just half a letter grade (my school doesn't do A+), so my gut tells me it's really a non-issue, but I thought it might be good to get some outside input. Also, like I said, I'm about 95% sure of my grade, but, in the event that the 5% chance becomes a reality, would a B+ significantly change how this whole situation is perceived?

Don't fret over this. The real question, is your DAT and GPA sufficient and overcompensate for any inadequacy?

Don't fret over this. The real question, is your DAT and GPA sufficient and overcompensate for any inadequacy?
24AA/25TS/17PAT and I should graduate with about a 3.3 for both my overall and science GPAs (****ty grades freshman year with strong upward trend). I guess my DAT compensates, but I worry that I'm relying too much on something that is only a portion of my overall application.

Members don't see this ad :)
24AA/25TS/17PAT and I should graduate with about a 3.3 for both my overall and science GPAs (****** grades freshman year with strong upward trend). I guess my DAT compensates, but I worry that I'm relying too much on something that is only a portion of my overall application.
Strong DATs with an upward trend in grades you'll be fairly competitive provided you have decent ECs as well

Strong DATs with an upward trend in grades you'll be fairly competitive provided you have decent ECs as well
By application time I'll have around 100 shadowing hours, 100 volunteer hours, and I worked 20hrs/wk part-time all 4 years of undergrad. Pretty much standard fare I'd say.

By application time I'll have around 100 shadowing hours, 100 volunteer hours, and I worked 20hrs/wk part-time all 4 years of undergrad. Pretty much standard fare I'd say.

You'll be just fine.

You'll be fine. I retook Ochem 2 and did not do half as well. As long as you are improving, I am pretty sure you should be okay.

You'll be fine. I retook Ochem 2 and did not do half as well. As long as you are improving, I am pretty sure you should be okay.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I found other posts on this forum about this topic and they all seemed to say that if I couldn't get an A my second time around it was gonna throw up some serious red flags. But if it worked out for you (congrats btw) it can for me too.

Reactions: 1 user
Did your school allow you to retake a course even though you passed? Or did you have to get special exemption? I'm in a similar situation, I realize it'll probably vary from school to school but just checking.

Did your school allow you to retake a course even though you passed? Or did you have to get special exemption? I'm in a similar situation, I realize it'll probably vary from school to school but just checking.
Like you said, it's gonna vary from school to school. In my case, I had to get an override from the chemistry chair because I wanted to retake just the lecture section and lecture and lab are co-requisites at my school. I would guess that you're gonna have to get some kind of special permission/override for one reason or another. It should be pretty painless though. Most schools probably don't care what you take as long as you keep paying for it.