A+ is 4.3 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhsim0223

Anteather!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I keep 3.95 GPA(UC Irvine GPA) and I will apply next year...

My friend told me that A+ is calculated as 4.3 in ADDSAS process...

Actually I get A+ from 9 classes( UCI has quarter system)...but My school gives 4.0 for both A+ and A.

Then, my questions are

1. my current GPA is over 4.0( let's say 4.1) out of 4.0?

2. According to ADDSAS's grading system, Is maximum GPA 4.3 or 4.0?

Members don't see this ad.

My A+s counted as 4.33 in my AADSAS GPA. It will be over 4.0 for you.

Good job!

Last edited:
Thank you for quick reply Nauticus!!

1. You mean my GPA is over 4.0 out of 4.0?

or my GPA is over 4.0 out of 4.3?

Then.......
2. When people say their GPA ( let's say 3.7)in this forum, is it out of 4.0? or 4.3?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it's out of 4.0. I would not worry about breaking the 4.0 barrier much. Either way, you have a great shot at all schools if you maintain that gpa for another year and provided you score decently on the DAT.

Most schools are on a 4.0 system, even if they get over 100% (equivalent to an A+ at other schools). This means that some people get an extra GPA boost when others don't. Another reason why the DAT is necessary and levels the playing field. Also you don't need a 4.0-4.3 for this A+ thing to help you. Even if you are at a 3.0 and up, a A+ will give you 4.3 grade points instead of 4. So this would help all people at all GPA's if they get an A+ at one of those schools.

it still annoys me that some students can get these A+ bonus points, whereas my school doesn't offer A+ as an option.

the AAMCAS doesn't pull this crap. A+ = 4.0

it still annoys me that some students can get these A+ bonus points, whereas my school doesn't offer A+ as an option.

the AAMCAS doesn't pull this crap. A+ = 4.0

I agree. But at my school there are no pluses or minuses. It hurts when I get a 99 or an 89 in a class, but I don't mind it when I have a 91 or an 81. I think it washes out in the end for me.

But at one of the schools I went to they had pluses and minuses, but they didn't have A+'s. People who have A-'s when they are in the low 90's should be able to get A+'s when they are in the high 90's... in my opinion. :rolleyes:

I think, when I was applying this year, there's still that 4.3 for A+ on transcripts but it should say A+ since it will be verified.

yea, that's like my school MattEvers. I can get an A- (3.67) but 93 to 100% is just an A. A+ is not a grading option for professors. i think i would have gotten a sizable GPA boost if i would have been able to get A+, cuz i know of a number of classes i got 98s and 99s in.

although i realize it probably won't affect anything in the long run, it's the principle of the thing!

This is why I think the GPA w/o is the more important one. +/- can't give certain schools an advantage that way.

This is what's posted on the Courses Section of the AADSAS Application...

Numeric Grading Schemes
Some college transcripts report numeric grades rather than alpha (letter) grades. Registrars often provide a transcript key to indicate the letter value for each numeric grade. The letter value varies by college and university. For example, a "92" may be equal to an "A" at one institution and "B" at another institution. AADSAS verifies that the applicant selected the correct letter "AADSAS Grade" based on the transcript key. If the transcript does not indicate a corresponding letter grade, AADSAS will default to the standardized grade scale below.

Grade on Transcript "AADSAS Grade" "AADSAS Value" (No alpha grade key on transcript) 100-90A(4.0)
89-80B(3.0)
79-70C(2.0)
69-60D(1.0)
<60F(0.0)

Grade on Transcript "AADSAS Grade" "AADSAS Value" (No alpha grade key on transcript) >4.00 A+ (4.3) 4.00-3.80
A(4.0) 3.79-3.60
A-(3.7) 3.59-3.40
AB(3.5) 3.39-3.10
B+(3.3) 3.09-2.80
B(3.0) 2.79-2.60
B-(2.7) 2.59-2.40
BC(2.5) 2.39-2.10
C+(2.3) 2.09-1.80
C(2.0) 1.79-1.60
C-(1.7) 1.59-1.40
CD(1.5) 1.39-1.10
D+(1.3) 1.09-0.80
D(1.0) 0.79-0.60
D-(0.7) 0.59-0.40
DE(0.5) Less than or equal to 0.39
F(0.0) Non-graded designations None None​

Can someone explain to me how a 85 which would earn me an A at my school is a B and a 3.0/4.0 according to the second table? It really kills your GPA.... I do not understand what they are trying to do here...

My school reports letter grades, but the letter grades have a legend that you can find the range of percents that it is equivalent to. I am worried that they will take my A's, convert them to 85's and give me 3.0's for all my A's earned...

This is what's posted on the Courses Section of the AADSAS Application...

Numeric Grading Schemes
Some college transcripts report numeric grades rather than alpha (letter) grades. Registrars often provide a transcript key to indicate the letter value for each numeric grade. The letter value varies by college and university. For example, a "92" may be equal to an "A" at one institution and "B" at another institution. AADSAS verifies that the applicant selected the correct letter "AADSAS Grade" based on the transcript key. If the transcript does not indicate a corresponding letter grade, AADSAS will default to the standardized grade scale below.

don't worry about the tables, you'll be fine. the aadsas will get it right, since you say your transcript has a key.

I hope dental schools use the GPA "w/o" because if they didn't then students that go to schools with +/-'s are at a disadvantage. It would only make sense to level the playing field for all applicants.

Just my two cents.

:)A+ really boost GPA, becuase it balanced my b- and b+. If u get 9 A+, u could have really high gpa ^^

go anteaters! you should fix that in your status, unless you meant to say anteathers.

Just a heads up from one anteater to another ^^

And re: grading scheme:

Don't worry about it. You'll obviously have a great GPA to apply to Dschools with, so as long as you don't bomb your last year or w/e, you'll be fine. It's not really an absolute scale, and you're really just "competing" with other Dschool applicants. While you should do the best you can, you really don't have to be perfect. It's like riding the curve for a class. And I know how generous some of those UCI curves are =D.

Really try to get involved in something, and get some dental experience. I had the same GPA as you do and when I interviewed, only one interviewer even mentioned my grades to me. We talked mostly about other stuff I was involved with.

zot zot.

oh yea, and study hard for the DAT's. haha. it's a lot of material to cover in a week (I know from experience), and I think a lot of schools weigh it more heavily than your GPA anyways.

oh yea, and study hard for the DAT's. haha. it's a lot of material to cover in a week (I know from experience), and I think a lot of schools weigh it more heavily than your GPA anyways.

Please don't tell me you studied for the DAT for a week and got those great scores (according to your predents profile)... :scared:

My school has the +/- system with no A+ possible. Unfair! lol

Please don't tell me you studied for the DAT for a week and got those great scores (according to your predents profile)... :scared:

My school has the +/- system with no A+ possible. Unfair! lol

it was a rough week and a busy summer...i think i took it at a good time when all the stuff i needed to know was still fresh. Took practice tests mostly.

too bad bout the impossibility of A+'s. They're hard to get, in any case.