A Little Advice, Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutropos

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I just joined this site recently after reading the content for several months. I never had anyone comment on my stats and I would certainly appreciate it if I could get a few comments. I am no looking to apply to any top 20 schools, but the closest to a top 20 I'd apply to (which I know is a crapshoot) is UVA. As a MN resident, I would apply to University of Minnesota for sure. I would also try Miami, NYMC, Georgetown, George Washington, and others I can not think of right now (I haven't put too much thought into it as I'm applying next year).

I took the MCAT the first time unprepared last year and received a 29M (VR: 7 PS: 11 BS: 11). I studied once or twice a week this summer (so incredibly busy) and retook the MCAT in August. This time I received a 34N (VR: 9 PS: 12 BS: 13). I am not retaking for verbal as I know I'd be risking it. I averaged 9-10 on my practice tests, so you can see why it'd be a huge risk.

My GPA is 3.881 with a BCPM GPA of somewhere around 3.81.

I've done over 2 years of clinical research at an ER, 1 year of volunteer at a hospital, 5 months of cancer research, received a scholarship, research grant and presented posters at a symposium, worked a summer at an insurance company resolving issues with the elderly, I teach a lab section for a human anatomy & physiology at my university, and dean's list stuff. I'm gonna continue cancer research during my year off (and am doing this over the school year), and continue clinical research at the ER.

Sorry for my loaded post. I didn't know I'd write so much! Thanks in advance for any advice, and I'm happy to join you all on SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't really state what kind of advice you're looking for... what schools, if you should apply at all, something else...? In any case, it seems like if you've been reading SDN for several months then you should pretty miuch know where you lie. It seems you've covered all bases and your app at this point is competitive. Again, I assume you know that.

My apologies, you are right in that I did not specify what I was looking for. Since I am posting in the 'What are my Chances' forum, I guess I am really looking for what people think my chances are.

It is true that I have been on here for several months (not everyday, however). But I've spent pretty much all my time reading the MCAT forum.

So, I'm looking for what people think my chances are, and if there is anything I can do to improve my application.

Thanks again in advance for all help, advice, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The five point improvement in your MCAT score is terrific. Your GPA is very good. Your research credentials are above average. You mention one year of hospital volunteerism. Was this in one department? Did your clinical research fulfill LizzyM's definition of clinical exposure, namely that you worked with individual patients who were ill? If not (or maybe even if you did), you might consider broadening your experience with patients into another area, like perhaps a free clinic, nursing home, or hospice, or anything else that is not involving hospital patients. You may be fine without doing this, but it is the only area for improvement I can see, unless you don't have anything yet to list under leadership (which you never mentioned).

It's been a while since I visited this thread. Thanks Mobius for your encouraging words.

Since this is a 'What are My Chances?' forum, I might as well stick to topic. What schools would you guys recommend I apply to? How about schools nearby such as the Univ. of Minn. (in state), Univ. of Wisconsin and the Univ. of Iowa? I haven't had any recommendations from anyone, so I'm curious to see what people have to say. Are there any other schools you guys would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any input, it is certainly appreciated. :)

What schools would you guys recommend I apply to? How about schools nearby such as the Univ. of Minn. (in state), Univ. of Wisconsin and the Univ. of Iowa? :)

Consider a few near-reach schools like U Chicago, Ohio State, Columbia, UPennsylvania. You'd easily be in the target zone for Case Western, UVA, UWisconsin, and UIowa (but in my experience with the last they expect 10s across the board for OOSers). You should have no trouble getting into UMinnesota. For safties, consider NYMC, MCW, Rush, U Miami, and Georgetown.

HrryUp and Mobius, thank you for your responses.

Should I not even consider UIowa if they expect 10s across the board? Is that a set cutoff?

Also, where did you guys come up with these schools? If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't know where to start coming up with ideas for schools!

UMinnesota and UWisconsin are my top choices. I'll certainly push my hardest for these two!

Thanks again guys for your help, it is much appreciated.

1) Should I not even consider UIowa if they expect 10s across the board? Is that a set cutoff?

2) Also, where did you guys come up with these schools? If it weren't for this site, I wouldn't know where to start coming up with ideas for schools!

1) According to a phone conversation I had with one of their deans, that is a set cut-off.

2) See the "School Selection spreadsheet" sticky at the top of this forum. Also, try to get hold of an MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) book at your reference library, pre-health advising office, or buy one on line via the AMCAS website. It lists each med school's requirements class-wise, deadline, etc. Lots of information that helps one make a choice on schools to aim for. In my list I chose more midwestern schools, because of personal bias for travel time to get home.

Awesome resources, thanks Mobius. Is there a website or a thread that discusses cutoffs for OOsers? It seems the MSAR does not list these cutoffs, and the only way to find out is to contact the schools or find the information online. Also, is there a way to find out if there are cutoffs for EDPs? I'm considering EDP at UMinnesota. Thanks again Mobius for your help.

You might consider reading through the school-specific threads in the Pre-Allo section. Sometimes there is a discussion of cut-offs there. If not found in this year's thread, look in the previous year's thread for that school. You can find it with a "search".