A little help from humanities majors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Presse

Due to the fact....
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. :laugh:

For those of you who are humanities majors, did you experience any discrimination in terms of securing a laboratory position either in the summer or at your home institution? What about the mcat (usually that is not a problem) and internships? I know a few pals of mine who struggle severely with this and was hoping to hear some anecdotes from you guys.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are humanities majors, did you experience any discrimination in terms of securing a laboratory position either in the summer or at your home institution? What about the mcat (usually that is not a problem) and internships? I know a few pals of mine who struggle severely with this and was hoping to hear some anecdotes from you guys.

Thanks.

if you are a humanities major, look into ECs that are unique and reflective of your major. clinical research is not a top EC outside of the research-focused top tiers.

a hearty combination of clinical ECs, community service, and sustained, unique engagements in the academics of humanities will prove superior to generic bench research at many schools.

find something else more worthwhile to do in your summer.

I was also a humanities major.

Lab position? If we're talking about getting your first gig, everyone starts out on an even playing field with no experience, humanities major or not. I'd make clear your goals for joining the lab and med school plans.

MCAT....pre-reqs are all you need. Not very familiar with the 2015 test though if you're taking then.

What I did with my major helped secure future jobs in clinical and bench research and I'm sure made me a more interesting med school applicant. It's all about what you do with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also a humanities major.

Lab position? If we're talking about getting your first gig, everyone starts out on an even playing field with no experience, humanities major or not. I'd make clear your goals for joining the lab and med school plans.

MCAT....pre-reqs are all you need. Not very familiar with the 2015 test though if you're taking then.

What I did with my major helped secure future jobs in clinical and bench research and I'm sure made me a more interesting med school applicant.

Nah. I am talking about obtaining a summer position. I am already part of a clinical lab at my school. I applied to several SURF/REU/SURP programs this year and am very nervous.

Thanks.

It's harder but definitely possible, especially if your grades in science classes are strong. I ended up working at a lab at my university first and proving myself before going off to do an REU and then returning to my original lab. My PI (even though he's an engineer) actually appreciates my philosophy major because I get to help out with some of the ethics-related issues that arise in our line of research. Spin your humanities major as a positive contribution to your research abilities, rather than something to look over or make up for.

Yeah you do get some discrimination but you just have to branch out and show that your major is useful just like the above poster said. You will feel a little uncomfortable and may not know as much as the people in the labs but its all for experience anyways.

Thanks.

Actually felt the discrimination went the opposite way. People tended to consider you more interesting if you weren't just another bio major, regardless of how true that was. MCAT only tested the prereqs so no issues there.

I am a Microbiology/English major as of now and I do things related to both fields. I was considering dropping the science portion, but a lot of my research would be hindered even though I am already in a lab. In addition, I have my eye on a particular REU that is specifically for micro majors, so I guess it would not be smart to switch, at least not hastily.

You could "double-major" in a science and then drop it once you were done with your work.

You could "double-major" in a science and then drop it once you were done with your work.

Lol. What if I wanted LoRs from those places. Wouldn't that seem pretentious?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

I'm in a similar field of study, I'm a biology/English major and everyone I've told this to was very pleased with it. Even at interviews at several top research schools, my interviewers have been fascinated with my English major and chose to discuss that and how it relates to medicine. In terms of the MCAT, the verbal section will go easily for you. It's the only one I did not study for yet did very well. Also I never felt any discrimination in asking to shadow or research or do volunteering relating to medicine.

Tip: since you have both majors, say that you major in the one that applies to the position. So if you're applying to work in a micro research lab, say you major in microbiology or if you're going to say both majors, say micro first. Worked for me.

I'm in a similar field of study, I'm a biology/English major and everyone I've told this to was very pleased with it. Even at interviews at several top research schools, my interviewers have been fascinated with my English major and chose to discuss that and how it relates to medicine. In terms of the MCAT, the verbal section will go easily for you. It's the only one I did not study for yet did very well. Also I never felt any discrimination in asking to shadow or research or do volunteering relating to medicine.

Tip: since you have both majors, say that you major in the one that applies to the position. So if you're applying to work in a micro research lab, say you major in microbiology or if you're going to say both majors, say micro first. Worked for me.

Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

I was a psychology major (which for the most part is still considered a humanities major) but I focused heavily on neuroscience so finding a lab position was rather easy for me. For those who are History or English majors I imagine PI's would be curious as to why you want to research something that doesn't pertain to your major.