A little worried about my bio/biochem grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chymotrypsin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a chemical engineering student who is rethinking his career path, and interested in a career in medicine. I understand that I will have to do volunteering, physician shadowing and what not, but I was wondering about my grades. My grade in freshman biology is a B, and my biochem grade is a B+. I have an A in general chemistry, organic 1 and organic 2, and was wondering if that could offset my weaker biology grades? The biochem class was a 560 level course, so I'm hoping the B+ won't look too bad, I just want to know what my chances are at applying to medical school with a B in my bio courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm a chemical engineering student who is rethinking his career path, and interested in a career in medicine. I understand that I will have to do volunteering, physician shadowing and what not, but I was wondering about my grades. My grade in freshman biology is a B, and my biochem grade is a B+. I have an A in general chemistry, organic 1 and organic 2, and was wondering if that could offset my weaker biology grades? The biochem class was a 560 level course, so I'm hoping the B+ won't look too bad, I just want to know what my chances are at applying to medical school with a B in my bio courses.

It's not a problem.

When you apply, your GPA will be listed under BCPM (Bio/Chem/Physics/Math), AO GPA (all other, which includes a lot of engineering courses), and lastly a composite GPA. Your good chemistry grades will therefore offset your Bs in Bio and Biochem in your BCPM GPA, so that you won't be screened out on that basis. As the AMCAS generated transcript also lists classes separately, if they look, they will see that you've consistently gotten Bs in Bio. A question to be prepared to answer is, "Why do you feel you will succeed in the biology-heavy curriculum of medical school?" It might be a good idea for you to take some upper-level bio and get some As to reassure adcomms. It's better to address a potential problem before it becomes an issue.

To answer your question specifically, two Bs in bio will not ruin your chances.